It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't shake this feeling of impending Doom...I have 2012 Depression.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A good evidence chase-down is always helpful.

Ask:
* where's the first place that this is said (and who is telling me that this is what it said?) In the case of the Mayans, if it's not from someone who can read the hieroglyphs then discard that source (same with Egyptian and Babylonian sources.)
* if it's from an ancient text, find out where the translations of that text are (don't take one person's word.)
* if they're talking about stars, go look the stars and constellations up on Wikipedia. Find out how many light years they are away.
* if they show a part of an Egyptian/Babylonian/Mayan/Incan item, ask to see the whole item (and see what it REALLY says. Most of them come with writing (as a rule) that can be read or are copies of designs in other places where writing appears.
* go read about comets. They're interesting. Grab some binoculars and look at them.
* if they're talking about gravity, find how how much gravitational pull there is from different planets and how much effect they have on Earth (do the math. It's actually pretty easy.)
* find out what the aficionados say (backyard astronomy buffs)

Are you old enough to remember the Y2K stuff? I was a computer programmer in those days and we kept telling the public that it was a load of hooey (and that we'd known about this problem since the 1980's and code written since that time generally took Y2k into account), but everyone ran out and bought MREs and generators and I spent my time "certifying" that the stupidest stuff would survive y2k -- including a truckload of sand.

I kid you not. I had to certify that SAND would survive "the coming cosmic changes of the year 2000."

And I can guarantee you that on December 22nd, someone will have an "OMG! WE MISCALCULATED!!! DOOM IS HAPPENING IN ..." and a brand new date.

Remember that the planet itself is not concerned with a timekeeping system invented 2,000 years ago (our own Julian calendar) or 3600 years ago (actually, the Mayan calendar wasn't invented 3600 years ago... it's less than a thousand years old.) And the Mayans couldn't even predict the drought that caused their civilization to collapse.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

I sit here a read this 2012 "End of the World" stuff on a daily basis.

You answered your own question.... Stop reading all this stuff and get off ATS for awhile, probably get off the internet for awhile. And what your reading 99.99% is probably 1000% bull#. I don't read up on 2012 anymore because no one knows what's going to happen.

Also I'm sorry but this made me laugh.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Dude, I'm depressed the world is gonna collapse under my feet. I'm so jumpy today, my mother turned on the facet I jumped to the floor thinking doom.You are not alone, some of it effects us too.
Pull yourself together man, its a fable.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I had the same depression when I first heard of the 2012 stuff, it's natural. Don't worry about it OP. I got over it after a while - let me tell you reading the theories and predictions on this site won't help. Read other topics for a little bit and just realize - if something does happen it'll happen no matter what - not much you can do about it. That's what I did

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWorldSpins

I think it was a case of overload.

I went surfing for the first time in 20 years.

Then they cleared the beach do to a shark sighting.

Gave me a more immediate threat to worry about.

I guess when it's your time...

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

I am having such a feeling of impending doom, something feels really off and I am not sure if I am losing my mind or something is happening I cannot comprehend. It is an anxiety like I have never felt before.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

I feel like crying, like something is sitting on my chest just waiting for the word, for clarity. I am not sure if it is personal or on a larger scale. As far as the doom predictions, they have never really touched me to this extent, well at least not yet. Trying to stay busy this sense is stuck to me, to my mind and I cant shake it. Even had my ex come over and he stayed as long as he could, for the first time I almost begged him to stay, felt like I do not want to be alone when I find out whatever it is that is making me feel this way.

posted on Oct, 17 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
You might consider that all of the doom and gloom has been rather pointless.

I say pointless because the statements that have been made are all wrong.

1. No great quakes
2. No increase in quakes
3. No massive storms
4. No out of control solar activity
5. No new planet in the sky
6. No start of WWIII
7. No meteor impacts

It's been a not happening year for the doom and gloom wackos.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Honestly.. there is a supposed huge brown killer dwarf star just 2 months out.. and we can't see it? It would dominate the sky. It's not there. Nothing is going to happen.

The only thing you should worry about on December 21st, is if you waited until the last minute to get your shopping done for Christmas. Seriously.. that will be your biggest worry. And the doom 'n gloomers will certainly "recalculate," and come up with another day X months or perhaps a couple years out, just to keep the doom spin going.

There are many things to be depressed about. A fantasy about a Mayan calendar isn't one of them.

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

/facepalm

this "doom and gloom" isnt limited to the mayans

Abrahamic religions, cultures and traditions also talk of an "end"

so please stop cherry picking

posted on Oct, 22 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

this "doom and gloom" isnt limited to the mayans

Abrahamic religions, cultures and traditions also talk of an "end"

so please stop cherry picking

And? Many civilizations have stories of the "end times." No need to get depressed over such fables. And the 2012 is quite specifically geared towards the ending of a calendar by ONE civilization. Thus this forum, and thus this thread. So it's very pertinent. Even if the entire thing is utter bunk.. which it is.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join