It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vinegar

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Excellent thread lots of needed information and replies
are great. I think ATS needs to see more threads like this one.

SF

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Hey Daddy...when I was super sick with a chest cold from Hades last winter and was finding no relief, I looked up in my cupboard and saw a bottle of apple cider vinegar and said, "Screw it" and grabbed that bottle and slammed a shot. Why? I don't know really but let me tell ya...it stung on the way down and cut the pleghm and wouldn't ya know it but I was feeling better. So, for that purpose it did the trick and no one ever told me about it, I was just miserable and desperate I guess.

Good post . Apple cider vinegar also helps the body to alkaline more . apple cider vinegar is a cure all too . imagine that fresh apple cider vinegar from Vermont . They use it for cows health too . it heals there mastidis etc

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

My mate has a book called 'Vineger natures secret weapon' which is about all the thousands of things it can be used for. It really is so versatile, and tastes great on chips! I can't believe vineger isn't used all over the world its such a good compliment to chips! Im hungry now!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

thank you for the post.
i use plain white vinegar to clean my floors. i use a one part vinegar to two parts water. sometimes a little less when the floor isn't so dirty. i use it to clean my oven too. and i use it on my salads. it's a cool thing.

-subfab

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Good thread and topic daddybare
After seeing that Niburu thread, I had almost lost hope.......

Vinegar is a great disinfectant and household cleaner (if you don’t mind the strong smell)

It’s also great for preserving many different things like fruits and vegetables.
Thanks again.

Spike Spiegel

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Great thread DB,

Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pale of water
Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after
Up Jack got and off he trot as fast as he could caper
He went to bed to mend his head with Vinegar and brown paper

The old nursery rhyme makes reference to vinegar as a medical treatment, as our society "progresses" we often forget that everyday items have great medicinal uses. Vinegar was used for centuries as an anticeptic and treatment by yesteryear soldiers for sword injuries etc. Apple cider vinegar will remove warts from the skin in a matter of days (better than any pharma compound), it truly is a wonderful substance.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by napayshni57
Thanks DB I have a stock of apple cider vinegar and honey. It cures almost everything. I was wondering about how you made it. I know when I have apples on the ground after a while they start to smell like vinegar then later on they start to smell like alcohol.

Apples didn't do good this year though but I have a ton of pears to try this on!

Stock of apple cider!!!!
you my friend I need to teach a different trick too...
how to make hard apple cider
with honey and you have ambrosia of the gods...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
To agree with some other posters. Making your own hard cider and then letting it go to vinegar is easier than making mac n cheese.

2 gallons of apple juice - about $8.
1 packet of dry champagne yeast - about $1

Combine. Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by OwlDancer

The egg...I do not know the precise reason but it was the way I was taught by my grandparents and my mom. When the egg floats, you have added enough salt for the peppers to be preserved I think? Sorry I can't be of more help there, I just know that they told me that they wouldn't turn out right otherwise.

It is a primitive method for measuring the specific gravity of the Salt/Water solution. Think about how it is easier to float in the ocean than in a lake and even a non-swimmer can not do anything BUT float in Salt Lake Utah.

Pure water has a specific gravity of 1.000 salt sea water about 1.025 S.G. @ 70F (S.G. is always at a specific temperature and atmospheric pressure ie sea level)

This means you can replace the egg with a hydrometer and a thermometer.

How ever if we are talking "Survival" stick with the egg but make sure it is fresh. (Fresh eggs sink in water old eggs float) another good use of "Specific Gravity"

Actually S.G. is really good thing to understand since it is used for wine and beer making and possibly for making vinegar
For Acetic Acid S.G. is 1.052 @ 25C Specific gravity of some common liquids

A half way decent explanation: forums.saltwaterfish.com...
edit on 26-8-2011 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Anusuia

Good post . Apple cider vinegar also helps the body to alkaline more . apple cider vinegar is a cure all too . imagine that fresh apple cider vinegar from Vermont . They use it for cows health too . it heals there mastidis etc

I am sorry I can not stand it any longer. (I am a chemist)

pH lesson 101.

The pH scale runs from 0 to 14.

7.0 is neutral.

Low numbers 0 to 6.9 are ACIDIC that is they are acids.

High numbers 7.1 to 14 are alkaline (base)

Lye (NaOH) is a strong base (pH of 13) used to make soap and will give you VERY severe burns. (Been there, done that have the scar to prove it)

Apple cider vinegar is an ORGANIC ACID (weak). As I stated earlier the skin and hair are naturally acidic this prevents fungal infections. Stomach "Acid" is HCl - Hydrochloric Acid and it is STRONG acid. The HEALTHY stomach has a pH of 2. The throat and intestine have a pH of 7. The strong acid helps digest foods and kills bacteria. READ THIS ARTICLE

Once you realize that vinegar is an acid you can use it wisely. For example if you are a meat eater add it to soups and stews when boiling meat. It literally dissolves bones so you get the necessary nutrients for building YOUR bones.

It is also used for dissolving the bones in pickled herring so it could be used in the same way for pickling any small fish (Nice to know you do not have to pick all the tiny bones out)

Vinegar

Vinegar is an acidic liquid produced from the fermentation of ethanol in a process that yields its key ingredient, acetic acid (ethanoic acid). It also may come in a diluted form. The pH of table vinegar ranges from 2.4 to 3.4[1] (higher if diluted). The acetic acid concentration typically ranges from 4% to 8% by volume for table vinegar[2] and up to 18% for pickling vinegar. Natural vinegars also contain small amounts of tartaric acid, citric acid, and other acids....

The pH of Apple cider vinegar is typically between pH 4.25 - 5.00 if undiluted.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
WoW you guys really know your stuff... and here I was just happy to learn to make my own Vinegar...
how Dare you people teach me new things... my little heads about to explode

Lots of great stuff guys... who knew this thread would take off the way if has???
edit on 26-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Read through the thread and haven't seen this mentioned yet. Unfiltered Apple-cider vinegar will help those with high blood sugar. With good eating habits and exercise as simple as just long brisk walks will bring your blood sugar to normal. It takes a couple of months by taking just 2 table spoons in a tall glass of good clean water once a day faithfully. It worked for me and my sister, as well as others.
The only rule is to only have one glass a day, do not take more than that.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

WoW you guys really know your stuff... and here I was just happy to learn to make my own Vinegar...
how Dare you people teach me new things... my little heads about to explode

Lots of great stuff guys... who knew this thread would take off the way if has???

Yes that is what is so great about ATS.

The info is often out there but if you do not know what question to ask or that there IS a question to ask, we do not have a chance to learn.

Great thread

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'd just like to add that natural wild fermentation and lactofermentation go well beyond vinegar and kraut as a healthful and natural way of preparing and preserving foods.

You can ferment and store in a cool area all sorts of veggies via this method as well as make naturally leavened bread, fermented beverages, vinegars etc. You can also use whey from raw dairy to culture vegetables, baked goods, drinks, cheeses, etc. This is what our ancestors all around the world did and what people still do. These are traditional foods, using the beneficial microorganisms that were intended to be incorporated into our digestive system for immunity and health.

I'd recommend the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon which covers nutrition of naturally and traditionally raised and prepared foods as well as recipes.

Also www.wildfermentation.com... covers fermenting naturally.

As noted before raw naturally fermented vinegar is an excellent tonic but also for the use of nutrition can be used as an acidifier in soaking grains to reduce phytic acid and make for a more digestible and nutrient available grain. Also as another noted it can be splashed into a bone stock to extract minerals and break down connective tissue which can then be used in soups, stews, rice, or by itself. It is very helpful for our joints, skin, connective tissue and for healing of the digestive tract.

Here is my beautiful raw sauerkraut I just made fermenting away on the counter:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4f194ace5503.jpg[/atsimg]

Fermenting is super easy and good for you. Just make sure you use quality organic ingredients, otherwise your the culturing may not be successful.

Great post OP. People need to get back to their roots in preparing healthy food, and vinegar is a great way to start!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

While I appreciate your interest in this topic, the video you posted is far too complex and long (we use wild yeast and have developed many mothers since starting). My wife makes vinegar, kombucha and alcohol. We use vinegar to wash our hair and areas of the body where bacteria develop easily, kombucha has many great properties as a drink, and alcohol needs no explanation.

The primary difference between these three (as with many topics in health) is in the controlling of bacteria. If you allow fruit juice to harbor yeast and begin fermenting then quickly air-lock it, you will be on your way to making alcohol. If you allow the process to gain a fair portion of bacteria, but air-lock it before the product becomes too sour, you will have a wonderful fizzy drink called kombucha. If you allow the process to produce a very sour (acidic) liquid, you will have vinegar. Vinegar is used in food, personal hygiene, cleaning and other ways in our home.

You can isolate acetic acid in multiple ways. You can carefully freeze some of the water and pour off a more concentrated solution of acetic acid and water. Or you can use a normal distiller. We do not isolate acetic acid in our home. We buy distilled vinegar. It is nice to be able to, however.

My wife makes black or green tea vinegar for our hair. We use distilled vinegar for cleaning.
She makes many variations of kombucha, including 5 flower tea (a tea blend I developed years ago and is incredibly tasty), yerba mate with variable fruit juices, etc.
Lastly, she makes hard apple cider, a drink called Tej, she has made pineapple mead, etc.

My wife is awesome.
Yeast and bacteria are awesome, in the right portions.
And I can't stress enough how great vinegar is for the hair and scalp.
Cheers!
edit on 8/26/2011 by Dasher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

I can't believe I didn't mention my wife's krauts!
Peppers, cabbage and jalapenos is my favorite.

Big thumbs up to Sandor and Sally.

And a star for both of you (kalamatas and DaddyBare).

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

Is this 5 flower tea blend a secret recipe, or are you willing to share?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by kalamatas

Roughly equal parts of Calendula, Rose, Blue Cornflower, Chrysanthemum, and Chamomile. But, there's nothing like experimenting.

Oh, and one caveat; A good source for rose buds is VERY hard to find. Rose can be from peppery to fruity. It's worth the time to search out a reliable source for fruity rose buds.

And if you want to add caffeine, a fruity Oolong or Green matches well. Vegetal flavored teas tend to be more hit or miss when pairing.

Do you do much sprouting?

I am not sure of the healthfulness of this, but Rose can be a great addition to smoking blends to mellow out the harshness of other ingredients. I don't smoke harsh plants too often.
Cheers!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dasher

Thanks for the recipe! Maybe I'll try out the roses in my garden first!

I don't sprout much in the way of simply to eat sprouts because I'm the only one who will happily eat them. But we have chickens now who love them, and I just bought a sprouting bag for that purpose to try out.

As far as sprouting grains for flour, absolutely. I also sprout my beans before cooking as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Great read... I love to make things from scratch, they are always better than store bought items. Plus, it is a lost art that might be needed in the future of our ever failing society.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join