It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vinegar

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by OwlDancer

thats ok for lurking,i'm kinda new too!
whats up with the egg?
not a stranger to hot peppers,being a male,DONT CUT HOT PEPPERS AND GO PEE AFTER!washing hands doesn't work!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Hi Daddy. This is a great thread! I've always wondered how to make vinegar and had no idea how simple it was. Thanks for sharing this

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

Hi reficul ! Thanks for letting me off the hook for lurking

The egg...I do not know the precise reason but it was the way I was taught by my grandparents and my mom. When the egg floats, you have added enough salt for the peppers to be preserved I think? Sorry I can't be of more help there, I just know that they told me that they wouldn't turn out right otherwise.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
The other key mention about vinegar to note is that our body responds quite heavily to an alkaline body.

Our body actually prefers it to acidic content. I am a firm believer in an acid free body and diet. I have seen cancer defeated simply by changing my diet to an acid free one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
DB you never seem to run out of good practicle things to teach us all about. Thank you for taking the time to be so informative. I always wondered how to make vinegar. Will have to give it a try.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

BRAVO. There are a multitude of illnesses that vinegar will help treat. There is an old Vermont folk remedy book that is a wealth of information. Add honey and garlic and you will be in good health with no side effects or huge pharma bills.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is a perfect project for me to start this weekend. Here at my house we use about a gallon a month just for cleaning purposes alone! While yes it is cheap to buy I got to thinking a few weeks ago how to make my own in a SHTF scenario. So this post with instructions came along at the perfect time
Thank you!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tsawyer2

I too have a huge garden and make 50 quarts or more of pickles each year. Now I will be able to make my own Vinegar for the process.

I should make a thread on me canning stuff....I do it all the time...should record it for you all here.

Great idea. I have always been a little timid about trying canning.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Vinegar!!!!! I love it!!!! Good, NO! Incredible cureall for arthritis, joints, Fibromyalgia....you name it!!!!!
Oh and a couple of drops to the dogs water and no more acid tear stains in the eyes!!!
Thank for this, Op!!!

Any ideas on making desinfectant? I love your threads!
Thank you!!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Another great use for vinegar is for heartburn. You can actually feel the acid in your stomach being neutralized...amazing stuff. But as most everyone knows it's bad for teeth enamel so if your drinking it, always dilute with water or add a pinch of baking soda. Sorry if this is common knowledge I'm new to posting and just wanted to share.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Amp822 because: left out word

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
apple cider + apple cider vinegar with 'mother' is quite refreshing & healthful. help digest fats too.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Thanks DB I have a stock of apple cider vinegar and honey. It cures almost everything. I was wondering about how you made it. I know when I have apples on the ground after a while they start to smell like vinegar then later on they start to smell like alcohol.

Apples didn't do good this year though but I have a ton of pears to try this on!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Awesome info DaddyBare!

I use organic Apple Cider Vinegar, so many uses. Its easy to buy and cheap!
Yet, I have wondered, what happens when we cant buy it?

Your post added to my favorites, now I have a new project!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
thanks for the post! I'll have to make some of this tomorrow with my peelings.. I always like to learn to make staples like this... I am seriously so excited I am going to be thinking about this all day at work tomorrow morning.

I never knew vinegar had so many uses! I'm going to try it as a rinse tonight in my hair. Would also love to hear about canning and preserving

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Informative post!

You can also easily make Apple Cider Vinegar by making hard cider and then aerating it in the same process described in the OP.

Basically you make a hard cider, use a high attenuating dry wine yeast that will survive in a moderately high alcohol environment. Ferment like normal, allow the yeast to fully ferment and then move to bottles - use cheese cloth instead of a lid and aerate (stir daily) for 2-4 weeks.

I make a lot of hard cider at home and always keep enough to fill a couple 750ml bottles for vinegar. Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in vitamin C, A and a bunch of different B vitamins. It's commonly used to help cure everything from the common cold to cancer. You can use it for a health supplement, pickling, cooking, cleaning, etc..

I don't want to sound too insane here, but in a SHTF scenario, people who know how to make things from basic ingredients are going to be just as important as rocket scientists are today. Vinegar is a great way to preserve vegetables, knowing how to make it is very useful knowledge.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
If you what to get rid of your fruit flys just place a little apple sider vinegar in a glass with 3/4 water and some dish soap and they will fly to there deaths, it works and they love it they cant say away.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Good thread.
It's great for cleaning pet areas, and in cages and such-great to get rid of rabbit urine smell in their cage to blotting up pet urination mistakes on the floor;
1 cup vinegar to 1 cup water;
mix in spray bottle
soak
set
rinse to remove vinegar

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Vinegar is also fantastic to stop mosquito bites from itching and sun burns for burning, simply apply to affected area.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Fox Molder because: (no reason given)

Not just skitter bites but chigger and mite bites too...
know what else works... to get rid of the itch and swelling Absorbine Jr... yeah the back stuff...

made the same way for over a 100 years too The active ingredient in Absorbine Jr.® liniment is 1.27% natural menthol. Other ingredients include calendula extract, echinacea extract, absinthium oil, acetone, chloroxylenol, iodine, wormwood extract, potassium iodide, thymol,
edit on 25-8-2011 by DaddyBare because: (no reason given)

Another great solution for mosquito bites is windex or any blue glass cleaner.
Mostly ammonia which is what the bite sticks are anyway.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

DaddyBare this is an awesome post. I didn't know vinegar could be made at home! I've become aware that The Big V has a plethora of uses, making it a must-have staple. Thank you for sharing this.

Someone mentioned canning jars in this thread so I just wanted to mention, this is the time of year Mason Jars & Rubbers are well-stocked at Wal-Mort and other stores. Don't delay, stock in today before they're all gone.

Thanks again DB!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsettica
If you what to get rid of your fruit flys just place a little apple sider vinegar in a glass with 3/4 water and some dish soap and they will fly to there deaths, it works and they love it they cant say away.

i just recently had read of this, the apple cider vinegar with a few drops of dish liquid, then stir well and let it just sit.

we had tiny flies because i had containers of non-meat food waste & coffee grounds bound for the compost pile sitting on my kitchen counter a little too long.

so i tried the Recipe you called out. took a few days but wow did it work. even had a regular house fly wind up in the drink, dead as a door knob.

i read elsewhere that if you cover the top with plastic wrap and poke a hole in it you have even better success. flies go in, can't find their way out = R.I.P. little flies. i'm going to try the cover/hole next time the need arises.

Apple Cider Vinegar is also helpful for lowering peoples Cholesterol numbers. Lots of info online.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join