It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Y" dwarf STARZ can maintain colder temps. than the human body. Nearly impossible to SEE:)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Ok ATS as we all have been challenging and debating about these evasive Stars I found some more related data to support the allready known facts about these Celestials

I found it interesting that there are 6 "Y" dwarfs approx. 40 light years from SOL/SUN. With that here is more on the "Y" dwarfs..

Scientists have discovered the coldest type of star-like bodies known, which at times can be cooler than the human body.

Astronomers had unsuccessfully pursued these dark entities, called Y dwarfs, ever since their existence was theorized more than a decade ago. They are nearly impossible to see relying on visible light, but with the infrared vision of NASA's WISE space telescope, researchers finally detected the faint glow of six Y dwarfs relatively close to our sun, within a distance of about 40 light-years.

Y dwarfs are the coldest members of star-like bodies known as brown dwarfs, which are odd objects sometimes known as failed stars.

LINK

www.space.com...

I would like to ask can some of these Y dwarfs be inhabitable LIKE PLANETS?
And what differences are there between a Y dwarf and a Planet especially when planets can be heated more then these STARZ?

ATS, thoughts?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/352da2c27999.jpeg[/atsimg]
This artist's conception illustrates what a "Y dwarf" might look like. Y dwarfs are the coldest star-like bodies known, with temperatures that can be even cooler than the human body.
CREDIT: NASA/JPL-Caltech

edit on 8/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well judging from the link _ i think these Y dwarves may not be inhabitable due to them being more akin to a gas-like planet than a solid planet like Earth or Mars.

So I think that rules human colonisation of these types of celestial bodies, but that's not to say another life form may inhabit these Y Dwarves.

Edit: To add - I DO think they be good to analyse - to improve our understanding of how stars are born or developed, since these Y- Dwarves seem to be 'failed' stars.

edit on 25-8-2011 by mr-lizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
edit: i see you corrected the misspelling.

Planets tend to be solid, gas giants are gaseous. I don't think our lungs can handle all the compounds on a brown dwarf.

Never mind our lungs, the wind speeds alone on tiny Jupiter would suck the liquids inside you out of every pour in your body while your limbs are torn off. Plenty of other habitable places to live besides a dwarf star.
edit on 25-8-2011 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
"then the human body" ... then the human body what?
more than, not more then, just fyi.

Well, human body is very very fragile comparing to other species on earth.

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
Planets tend to be solid, gas giants are gaseous. I don't think our lungs ccan handle all the compounds on a brown dwarf.

Let's take Neptun for example. Because of growing pressure , it is being hypothesized, that deep inside vast layer of liquid oceans surrounds entire planet.
Again, not for our lungs obviously, but life may exist there.
Although I don't think that would work inside dwarf star, much more mass, hence gravitation.
edit on 25-8-2011 by stainlesssteelrat because: add

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well judging from the link _ i think these Y dwarves may not be inhabitable due to them being more akin to a gas-like planet than a solid planet like Earth or Mars.

So I think that rules human colonisation of these types of celestial bodies, but that's not to say another life form may inhabit these Y Dwarves.

Edit: To add - I DO think they be good to analyse - to improve our understanding of how stars are born or developed, since these Y- Dwarves seem to be 'failed' stars.

So overall you DO feel they can be inhabited by some kinds, interesting. Thats what I was getting at not just by humans but by ANY. Also I dont think they all have to be Gaseous in build/design. It seems as time is progressing they are looking more into these celestial bodies, proof with Wise and other observing techs. It is just amazing to me to see these comming more into the light, because when I was young and in school THESE WERE NEVER DISCUSSED, not even sure science teachers knew of them and now there are potentially many of them.

I did also find this quote odd..

Finding brown dwarfs near our sun is like discovering there's a hidden house on your block that you didn't know about," said astronomer Michael Cushing, a WISE team member at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., and lead author of the study on the Y dwarfs. "It's thrilling to me to know we've got neighbors out there yet to be discovered. With WISE, we may even find a brown dwarf closer to us than our closest known star."

Then our CLOSETS KNOWN STAR ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT SOL, something closer then SOL

Thanks mr-lizard for your input

edit on 8/25/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CriticalCK
Already on ATS

I see will Star & Flag
Mods this can close if wished the search function more accurate lol

thanks all for your input as shared its been covered.

SEARCH FUNCTION FAIL LOL

be well

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

Originally posted by CriticalCK
Already on ATS

I see will Star & Flag
Mods this can close if wished the search function more accurate lol

thanks all for your input as shared its been covered.

SEARCH FUNCTION FAIL LOL

be well

Oh no keep it up. The other thread kinda developed strange from the beginning.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

They are referring to the Alpha Centauri star cluster at a little over 4 light years away, they mentioned the brown dwarfs discovered are 10 times as far away, thus, our galactic neighborhood.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by CriticalCK

There was only 2 minutes separating the 2 threads, hell, I can't start a tread in 2 minutes.

new topics

top topics

join