It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asserting Canadian Arctic sovereignty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Asserting Canadian Arctic sovereignty

m.torontosun.com

Toronto, Canada - As Prime Minister Stephen Harper continues his annual tour of the upper reaches of our Great White North, he must start talking tough to any country that thinks it owns any piece of our action this side of the Arctic Circle.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.whatsonxiamen.com
www.dailymail.co.uk[/ url]
[url=http://www.windsorstar.com/business/Denmark+Arctic+Strategy+claim+North+Pole+2014/5292496/story.html]www.windsorstar.com

www.canada.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia to deploy 2 army brigades in Arctic
edit on 25-8-2011 by Konstantinos because: Trying to fix messed up link

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
As the world focuses on Libya, Syria and the US economy; Russia and Denmark are slowly but surely planning on claiming the Arctic and it's resources.
What astounds me now is that China is planning on doing the same thing, it should be interesting to see how China can possibly lay any claim to the Arctic, but apparently they are building ice-breakers as fast as possible for "research".
It's funny how nobody had any issues with Canada owning the Arctic until it was discovered that the natural resources and potential shipping lanes may become available.
Canada needs to assert it's sovereignty along with the US (Alaska) as it seems that a Russia/China partnership is planning on taking it all.
Not too worried about the Danes though, at least they are NATO members (if that even counts for anything anymore!)

m.torontosun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Mods: I don't know what's wrong with the URLs on the related news stories, I've tried editing it but don't see any issues, please repair link.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Kinda like that toy that sits ignored in a corner and no kids want it....until one kid wants it. Then it becomes a must have for every kid in the room.

And now the Nations of the World will start acting like kids in the Arctic.

It's going to get messy on the playground.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
As we all know Canada illegally exports winter into the lower 48 every year. We must stop Canada from exporting snow, ice, cold temperatures, and geese (especially geese, damn things lay poo down like nobody's business)!

Actually I agree, I think that Canada has every right to it's Arctic region. I would trust the Canadians more than anyone else to protect the environment.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
At least this accounts for Canada's newly-tested fleet of stealth ski-mobiles.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If you check out the canada.com link, you'll see a French embassador trash-talking Canadian ability to manage the North, when the hell did they get involved and why? LOL
Canada should go on record about what craptastic job the French did in Ivory Coast.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As oil becomes more scarce
, and there are fewer reserves, I expect more of this. I am actually surprised it has taken them this long to try and lay claim to it. If Canada was smart, they would begin drilling to assert their claims. First one there wins!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by haarvik
As oil becomes more scarce
, and there are fewer reserves, I expect more of this. I am actually surprised it has taken them this long to try and lay claim to it. If Canada was smart, they would begin drilling to assert their claims. First one there wins!

In regards to drilling for oil there are environmental concerns that are currently being tested before implementation, however Canada has in the last few years founded several diamond mines in the deep north, so the process is coming along to tap into the natural resources of the area.
The disturbing issues are Russia's claim that they are laying claim to the entire Arctic, and the fact that China is building ice-breakers faster than anyone else in the world for no transparent reason, leaving one to speculate that they are planning intense involvement.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
One of the best things Harper has done since being in power is protect the arctic. There have been a number of mobilizations of army troops in the past five years and now they are building bases up there as well.

Canada will have a stronger military presence in the Arctic region for years to come now that natural resources and trade lines are opening up.

The real question is how ugly will it get and will Canada be able to maintain a "peacekeeping" stance if positioned so it has to be on the defensive.

This is a wake up call for all Canadians. Time to defend your country.

The Canadian Military needs to build up its ranks and its resources.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I hope my country can and will defend its territorial rights. Thank goodness we have Harper in power becuase the Libs have a great record of selling us down the river and the do-good believe the best in everbody NDP's just scare me.

Unlike the worlds powers pillaging the middle east and africa, they will be eating one of their own if they do the same to Canada. Time will tell just how much of a friend the USA is to Canada or will they turn on for greed. I don't have high hopes for american morality and honor when big profits stand in the way of such concepts.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
In Canada, Harper is only the third down in the chain of command. To find out where this initiative comes from, go to the top. That's who's asserting their claim to the arctic.

Arguably, the Russian Federation has more valid rights to it when taking into consideration who is at the top and where they actually reside.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Churchill MB would be an obvious permanent base for our military needs in the arctic. The US used Churchill as a base back in the 50s, the miles long runway still exist in running condition as well as a modern community that hosted international tourists for decades.

I'm from northern Manitoba and i can tell you there's been talks for years of pushing a highway all the way to Churchill. At the time, most of the prairies grains were shipped through the Great Lakes route to foreign markets. Then, it was not economically feasible to extend a highway through terrain that is a nightmare for a road, the permafrost is hell for ashpalt highways, grains was shipped by railway to Churchill. A highway to Churchill would be only 16 hours drive time from Winnipeg, a continental hub for transport. The obvious economic boom to northern communities along this route would benefit the locals, jobs are hard to come by for aboriginals who live on these reserves.

Militarizing Canada's north is an ironic boon for the Inuit and northern aboriginals. I hope they benefit from this seeing that their way of life is nearing an end.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Cheerfulnihilist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

And now the Nations of the World will start acting like kids in the Arctic.

It's going to get messy on the playground.

And then Mother Nature is going to come raging in and put her great white foot down

Ocean heat content and Earth's radiation imbalance

David H. Douglassa and Robert S. Knox
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy, University of Rochester, PO Box 270171, Rochester, NY 14627-0171, USA
26 June 2009;

Abstract

Earth's radiation imbalance is determined from ocean heat content data and compared with results of direct measurements. Distinct time intervals of alternating positive and negative values are found: 1960–mid-1970s (−0.15), mid-1970s–2000 (+0.15), 2001–present (−0.2 W/m2), and are consistent with prior reports. These climate shifts limit climate predictability.

Introduction:

A strong connection between Earth’s radiative imbalance and the heat content of the oceans has been known for some time (see, e.g., Peixoto and Oort [1]). The heat content has played an important role in recent discussions of climate change, and Pielke [2] has revived interest in its relationship with radiation. Many previous papers have emphasized the importance of heat content of the ocean, particularly the upper ocean, as a diagnostic for changes in the climate system [3–7]. In this work we analyze recent heat content data sets, compare them with corresponding data on radiative imbalance, and point out certain irregularities that can be associated with climate shifts. In Section 2 the conservation of energy is applied to the climate system and the approximations involved in making the radiationheat content connection are discussed. In Section 3 data sources are enumerated. Section 4 gives the radiation imbalance for the Earth’s climate system. In Section 5, climate shifts, radiative imbalances and other climate parameters are discussed. A summary is in Section 6.

Discussion:
…What is the cause of these climate shifts? We suggest that the low frequency component of the Pacific Decade Oscillation (PDO) may be involved. The PDO index changes from positive to negative near 1960; it remains negative until the mid-1970s where it becomes positive; then it becomes negative again at about 2000. This mimics the FTOA data. The PDO index is one of the inputs in the synchronization analysis of Swanson and Tsonis [43]. One would like to be able to predict future climate. Such predictions are based upon the present initial conditions and some expectation that changes in the climate state are continuous. However, if there are abrupt changes such as reported by Swanson and Tsonis then this is not possible.

These abrupt changes presumably occur because the existing state is no longer stable and there is a transition to a new stable state.

Summary
We determine Earth’s radiation imbalance by analyzing three recent independent observational ocean heat content determinations for the period 1950 to 2008 and compare the results with direct measurements by satellites. A large annual term is found in both the implied radiation imbalance and the direct measurements. Its magnitude and phase confirm earlier observations that delivery of the energy to the ocean is rapid, thus eliminating the possibility of long time constants associated with the bulk of the heat transferred. Longer-term averages of the observed imbalance are not only many-fold smaller than theoretically derived values, but also oscillate in sign. These facts are not found among the theoretical predictions.

Three distinct time intervals of alternating positive and negative imbalance are found: 1960 to the mid 1970s, the mid 1970s to 2000 and 2001 to present. The respective mean values of radiation imbalance are −0.15, +0.15, and −0.2 to −0.3. These observations are consistent with the occurrence of climate shifts at 1960, the mid-1970s, and early 2001 identified by Swanson and Tsonis. Knowledge of the complex atmospheric-ocean physical processes is not involved or required in making these findings. Global surface temperatures as a function of time are also not required to be known.

www.sciencedirect.com...

Ignoring science for political reasons (The carbon tax) could get a lot of people killed. But that has never stopped the elite when they smell a money making deal.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Why is Denmark claiming the Arctic? Greenland's ruling party is expected seek independence around 2020 meaning Denmark would have no need for an Arctic presence anymore.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The furthest northern Canadian base right now is Alert and the staffing there is minimal at best. Primarily used for research it is effeminately not a "defend the north" base at this time.

Canada should gear up and in a real hurry, the north is Canadian, history shows exploration and claims, I just hope we can prove it and keep it before all hell brakes loose !

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What most of you don't realize is that the militarization of the NP by Canada has been underway for some time. And any transgressors on our frozen north will face stealth snowmobiles and................

POLAR BEARS WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ON THEIR HEADS!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cheerfulnihilist
Churchill MB would be an obvious permanent base for our military needs in the arctic. The US used Churchill as a base back in the 50s, the miles long runway still exist in running condition as well as a modern community that hosted international tourists for decades.

I'm from northern Manitoba and i can tell you there's been talks for years of pushing a highway all the way to Churchill. At the time, most of the prairies grains were shipped through the Great Lakes route to foreign markets. Then, it was not economically feasible to extend a highway through terrain that is a nightmare for a road, the permafrost is hell for ashpalt highways, grains was shipped by railway to Churchill. A highway to Churchill would be only 16 hours drive time from Winnipeg, a continental hub for transport. The obvious economic boom to northern communities along this route would benefit the locals, jobs are hard to come by for aboriginals who live on these reserves.

Militarizing Canada's north is an ironic boon for the Inuit and northern aboriginals. I hope they benefit from this seeing that their way of life is nearing an end.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Cheerfulnihilist because: (no reason given)

Sorry, but Churchill is not even in the north. If you want to be serious about "protecting the north" you put up a base in the arctic islands. Plus we have a highway almost all the way to the Arctic Ocean at Tuktoyaktuk.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Did you also know that the Russian keep testing Canadian military response time and keep crossing the boarder in to Canadian air space at least once a week. The time the interception to the second. They know exactly how long it takes for the Canadian CF-18's to get there from either Bagotville or Esquimalt....... That being said...We need to get some F-35's up further north as soon as we get our hands on them !!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Hands off Greenland! It belongs to Europe! Or shall I say, Denmark...

Anyway! HANDS OFF GREENLAND!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join