It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA and ISS in a spot of bother? potentialy yes!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
ISS cargo rocket crashesWell, looks like NASA and the ISS are in strief, a unmanned Russian spacecraft carrying supplies for the International Space Station crashed shortly after liftoff, this could prove abit of a problem for the astronauts on bored come 3 months time and considering there are no more space shuttle missions work needed to be carried out on spacewalks will be an issue to, heres the link

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
They cold always use the ESA's Arriane rockets.

Stupid just to rely on one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling

A quote from one of your recent posts:

I would say Russia has had a very good track record compared to NASA.

Let's not forget they are the leaders of actually living in space for LONG durations, they sent probes to places years before NASA have.

And all this from a country poorer than America.

Well, it looks like the polished track record you claim the Russian's to have seems to have tarnished a bit after this news. Imagine, all that from a country poorer than America. You couldn't pay me to fly in a Russian rocket. Let's not forget they are the leaders of blowing up rockets without actually achieving lift off.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleardoom

A quote from one of your recent posts:

I would say Russia has had a very good track record compared to NASA.

Let's not forget they are the leaders of actually living in space for LONG durations, they sent probes to places years before NASA have.

And all this from a country poorer than America.

Well, it looks like the polished track record you claim the Russian's to have seems to have tarnished a bit after this news. Imagine, all that from a country poorer than America. You couldn't pay me to fly in a Russian rocket. Let's not forget they are the leaders of blowing up rockets without actually achieving lift off.

They do, want me to list all the NASA rockets that failed?

www.popsci.com...
news.bbc.co.uk...

Shall we also bring up the Space Shuttle failures?

edit on 25-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Why don't you also mention the ambitious effort by the Russians to land men on the moon. I think they're still ironing out the kinks in those "vastly superior" rockets right? Should be ready to fly by 2020 or so.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Why don't you also mention the ambitious effort by the Russians to land men on the moon. I think they're still ironing out the kinks in those "vastly superior" rockets right? Should be ready to fly by 2020 or so.

Lets not forget it wasnt American or Russians that werre in space first.

It was a monkey and a dog.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Tahnya86

Good find OP. I read a little about this the other day and a similar thought crossed my mind. They surely have a back-up plan don't they? I didn't think that something as important as food and supplies for the space station would only have one bus running.

Flagged to try and get some convo going

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Shall we also bring up the Space Shuttle failures?

How about you list ALL the accomplishments since the space shuttle program's inception? I think you'll be typing for a lot longer compiling that list compared to a list of the failures. Where is the Russian's "space shuttle" program? Oh yea, that right, they still use outdated rocket technology to get into space.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

To be fair, space shuttles also rely on rocket technology

Back to topic. I think this might actually be a good thing to happen. NASA and ESA are just a tad to comfortable relying on Russian cosmonautics.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

They are probably still trying to figure out how Hollywood did such a good job.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Enough arguing and whining.

We are still 20 years or so behind where we need to be in the space program if we ever plan to create the spaced based industries necessary to end the global recession and solve our energy/resource issues. Essentially this is what it all boils down too.

Govts aren't doing a Damn thing about it. More money is spent on war in one month than has been spent in several years on any space program. Why are we ignoring huge economic possibilities and a job sector that has the potential to eliminate joblessness for the next 100 years?

Burns my a55.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

You never know, maybe the 'rocket crash' was deliberate, it now gives them a plausible reason to bring the cosmo/astronauts home, without causing any unwanted questions.

The Draconids meteor shower is supposed to be pretty big this year.

Draconids Meteor Shower - Big in 2011

st.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tahnya86
ISS cargo rocket crashesWell, looks like NASA and the ISS are in strief, a unmanned Russian spacecraft carrying supplies for the International Space Station crashed shortly after liftoff, this could prove abit of a problem for the astronauts on bored come 3 months time and considering there are no more space shuttle missions work needed to be carried out on spacewalks will be an issue to, heres the link

There are always fall back positions. If the Russians can't get additional rockets up to the ISS in one or more attempts, the US may dust off one of the shuttles in its parking lot, if any remain. But that would be dicy given that the shuttles are a few hundred times more complex than an unmanned supply rocket.

Docking with the ISS would perhaps be a problem for a ESA if one can be ready, can we assume that they were included that capability in their designs? Maybe not, but the ISS and current crew are not quite lost yet.

As I said above, there are fallback positions. We have the secret black triangles that could flit up there in half an hour and be back to Earth in an equal amount of time. Or how about a grand rescue scheme by a mysterious ET ship?

Maybe the Russian supply rocket was intentionally downed, a false-flag space "accident" that opens the door to more revealing disclosures? Anyway, not to worry....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Given that NASA plans to crash the International Space Station into the Pacific Ocean by 2020, I don't think it's that big of an issue.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardoom

Russia actually had the space shuttle before the USA, it was slightly different looking and had different engines to the USA Spaceshuttle, oddly enough the warehouse that stored the shuttle colapsed brining the end to the Russian shuttle, coinsidence or something sinister carried out by a US oppritive? just thought i would add mention, also look at the germans, the USA and NASA secretly brought ex nazis like verner von brown over to NASA and the millitary to help them build there rockets, soo looks like the USA isnt as angelic as it makes its self out to be, hiring Ex ardent Nazis to work within their tranks... Tisk Tisk.im sure jewish americans and the rest of decendents of WW2 victims families would be happy to know that NASA was and is working with the people who helped build the rockets that killed many villiagers and innocent civilians.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

Can i ask why they plan to crash it? im intregued, first it was Mir was to rusted or some BS and now this? sounds like a waste of money or something to hide to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I hope they starve. The US playing Bed Buddies to the Country that we were in The Cold War with and now after spending our TAX DOLLARS on it and what for? So we can wait for the next Project The Govt. wastes OUR MONEY on?

Thx for the thread!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

The current plan is to retire the ISS by 2020. It isn't all that old but it is plagued by problems and in constant need of repair. However, they are looking into possibly delaying the retirement until 2028, but there are doubts that the station will remain operational that long. It was originally slated for retirement by 2015 but they already moved that deadline back by 5 years.

The reason it will be crashed into the Pacific is because it is a very large object that cannot be left in space. Otherwise, it risks either falling over a populated area or creating massive amounts of space junk which would make future space travel very difficult.

top topics

join