It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Irene threaten security of nuke plants at East Coast, US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
What "minor damage" did the quake cause nuclear plants? The fact that they were powered down? Notice I said, "powered down", meaning intentionally turned off. Not "lost power" resulting from some external force.
As far as I know, there was absolutely not damage done to the plants.

And really, what's the hurricane gonna do? Like several have said, there have been plenty of hurricanes hit the east coast over the last 20-30 years. I've never heard of an issue.

Keep fear mongering.

Swallow a Xanax.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
First of all, I never said that any damage was done to the plants, I said they were taken offline. I was referring to the minor damage done to the national cathedral and the washington monument, I guess I should of put that in there so my bad for not clarifying. Also I'm not assuming anything is going to happen to anything at all just talking, so calm down there killer, maybe youre the one who needs the xanax.

Keep "fear monger" bashing ya big bad ass its easy to be hard over the internet.. just saaayin..

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Both the waterford and river bend plants in louisiana were fine during katrina. Waterford shut down during katrina, but was restarted shortly afterwards. River bend actually never shut down, and continued to operate through the hurricane.

The plants themselves are built to withstand tornado force winds well above any hurricane.
edit on 8/25/2011 by JackBauer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
OK all you Fear Mongers and Nuke haters. The Dominion Virginia Power's North Anna nuclear plant was shut down as a PRECAUTION after the EARTHQUAKE! It had NOTHING to do with damned Hurricane Irene which is ending up being little more than a tropical storm. It has stayed off the coast for the most part. Not only that, but there was NO damage at the plant. None. Not even a little!

The quake’s epicenter was not far from Dominion Virginia Power's North Anna nuclear plant, where operators manually shut down both reactors as a precaution. But there was no apparent damage, said Bonita Billingsley Harris, spokeswoman for Dominion Virginia.
“The emergency diesel generators kicked as the power was lost,” Harris told National Journal.

www.nationaljournal.com...

Please for the love of all you hold dear, STOP with the ignorant fear mongering about this hurricane and the North Anne Nuke plant! We sane people have had enough of your lunacy!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Not only that, but there was NO damage at the plant. None. Not even a little!

So you try to tell me that losing power, switching to backup generators (that's ok for me so far), losing one of the backup generators and being forced to vent some steam as the 3 remaining generators can't handle the cooling for 100% is NO damage???
In my opinion this is more than just a little damage as those backup generators prevents a meltdown. One out of 4 failing is already 25% into meltdown.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
Not only that, but there was NO damage at the plant. None. Not even a little!

So you try to tell me that losing power, switching to backup generators (that's ok for me so far), losing one of the backup generators and being forced to vent some steam as the 3 remaining generators can't handle the cooling for 100% is NO damage???
In my opinion this is more than just a little damage as those backup generators prevents a meltdown. One out of 4 failing is already 25% into meltdown.

That's exactly what I am saying. There was no obvious damage at the plant per the Dominion spokesman. You didn't read the link. The power loss was due to the earthquake tripping a safety mechanism. The back up generator started as it was designed to. The Plant is in no danger.

Got any proof that the reactor is 25% in melt down? If not, you are just spreading more ignorance and lies.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Maybe you should check your 'facts' bevor posting that 'absolutly nothing happend':

I hope that the NRC is a reliable source for you???

Both North Anna units experienced reactor trips and a loss of all offsite alternating current (AC) power (LOOP) to the emergency buses. The cause of the reactor trips and LOOP are being investigated. The on-site emergency diesel generators (EDGs) initially started and powered the station emergency buses. Subsequently, one of the EDGs was shutdown due to a diesel coolant leak.

Source at NRC

Those backup generators are very important. Fortunately it was just 1 that stopped working but THIS IS a problem. Even if this worked out to be ok again it was a problem.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

I never said "nothing happened". Stop putting words in my mouth. I said there was no obvious damage.

From your own source, they describe the safety mechanisms that I alluded to earlier, tripping and causing the back up generators to run. The plant is super redundant. just because one generator goes out does not put the plant into melt down status. Now, how about that proof that Dominion is already at 25% melt down? Care to spread more false fear?

And further more, to bring this back on topic, Irene poses no threat to Dominion. None at all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
As safety features, there are all kinds of things that can cause a plant to power down...that's a good thing.

This is exactly what I have been saying to people. If a tiny little quake that does minor damage and no severe damage can take plants offline and create so much trouble than what about a category 3 or 4 hurricane?

The threat from even a minor quake is far more of an impact to a plant than the wind and rain of even a major hurricane. Wind and rain don't do much to solid concrete. A quake on the hand...

Still though, it's of course not a bad idea to at least consider what could happen, but I'm feeling pretty safe about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join