It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Nature Magazine - Climate cycles drive civil war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
A study published on Nature magazine suggests that climate cycles seem to have influence on war and peace arround the equator. Tropical countries face double the risk of armed conflict and civil war breaking out, during warm, dry "El Niño" years, than during the cooler "La Niña" phase.

Here`s the link to this article:

www.nature.com...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

A rather incomplete study:

"It could be that agricultural income in El Niño years drops to levels that can trigger violence. Furthermore, psychologists think that aggressive behaviour gets generally more widespread during exceptionally warm conditions."

my opinion

"Could be"?

I think there is a definitive answer in there. Bad weather = less food = less resources = conflict.

It seems very simple in its concept. I'm surprised a more thorough model was not developed. I believe you will find this throughout history with quite a few wars actually.

One thing that offsets this is fiat money. I believe money should be tied to the production of food and resources. Being that money represents these things more so than it represents one precious metal or a projection in a financial report.

If people have excess liquidity with a shortage of resources there is bound to be a conflict over the remaining reserves.

edit on 25-8-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

This is so stupid and more fear-mongering for anybody actually believing this crap. Another article to get people all worked up about Global Warming. Yes, NATURAL DISASTERS cause civil unrest, but not Climate Change. Last week, there was an article that stated Aliens might attack us because of Global Warming in order to save the world...sigh* Anybody who believes this nonsense needs to wake up. I expect another ridiculous article from the Green Agenda again next week. Are the Pro-warmers that desperate to get funding for their green agenda that they have to release fear-mongering articles like this every week now?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Natural climate cycles seem to have a striking influence on war and peace around the equator.
The paper it is based on is talking about natural climate models.

It is the author of the article who refers to climate change throughout. Climate change or global warming is not the main topic of the article.

new topics

top topics

join