It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Add up all the ways you can die = ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
You know how dying by a terrorist is something out of something, getting hit with a lightning bolt is so and so?

Well...
What's the chances of dying going through a normal routine?

In the most general of terms.

Could be calculated by adding everything up and dividing.

Or could be by just adding all the deaths per second by the people in the world.

Anyone have this number ?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Stephen Hawking?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Isn't it obvious?

42%

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47
What's the chances of dying going through a normal routine?
In the most general of terms.
Could be calculated by adding everything up and dividing.
Or could be by just adding all the deaths per second by the people in the world.

This web page seems to have the numbers...
link

# 1.78 deaths per second
# 107 deaths per minute
# 6,390 deaths per hour
# 153,000 deaths per day
# 56.0 million deaths per year

So with 7 billion people, and 153000 deaths per day, thats a strike rate of 1 in 45752, or 0.00002186.

Is that the number you were looking for?

Edit - just double checking that number, if you were expected to take random person dying every 45752 days, then thats 125 years for an average lifespan.
Maybe the numbers arent quite right there.

edit on 25-8-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The reality of it is, most people die from natural causes. You hear about how people get murdered, or car accident, or something else, but the solid majority, natural causes. Now, we can make it even more interesting and say, how many people actually live long enough to die from just simple old age. Count out cancer, and actual heart diseases and tumors and such

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Most people die of natural causes, the point being this year we've seen so many disasters alone you swear to god "I'm next." you know what I mean ?
The psychology of death is to face the unknown, it could be darkness, could be light and you could become anything. You know, it's the principle of human nature. We don't know where we're going till we get there.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Dr Dre and Ice Cube said it best in "Natural Born Killaz"

There are SIX MILLION ways to die, choose one!!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
There are many ways to die but in the end...

It only takes one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
We are meant to die. Fear is what the ptb use to control us. We have our own fear regulators inside of us that controls our own actions. Once you let go of the fears that behold you, you become much more free. Death is inevitable, natural so to say. It happens year in and year out with all living things. Once you have your life and conscious in order, you don't feel too bad about it anymore.

We must eat well, avoid everything unnatural from entering our bodies, drive safe, exercise and keep our mind healthy enough to avoid depression, and you will notice that the risk of suddenly dying have greatly been reduced. Anything other than that is our of your hands and you must enjoy life, as it might end. any second.

I'd say the risks are endless though. Famine, wide spread disease, natural disasters and all out war are the biggest, humanity threatening risks though.
edit on 25/8/11 by TeroK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by loneranger26
how many people actually live long enough to die from just simple old age. Count out cancer, and actual heart diseases and tumors and such

The chart on this page has info on that...
OddsOfDying

If you ignore heart disease (1 in 5) then everything else is 4 in 5 (80 percent).
If you also ignore cancer (1 in 7) then you are left with 65.7 percent for everything else.
If you also ignore stroke (1 in 24) then you are left with 61.5 percent for everything else.
If you also ignore MVA (1 in 84) then you are left with 60.4 percent for everything else.
adding in a whole bunch of other smaller things I get about 58 percent for not dying by anything listed on that chart.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
did you know that 85% of all statistics are made up on the spot

ETA:
you just reminded me of something I was thinking to do last night with percentages but I never got my head together to do it

I was thinking, start with the number "100" and start subtracting using percentages and present it like a list

maybe someone else could do something like that, would be interesting.. like right off

100 people
- 2 dead from cancer = 98
- 22 dead from heart disease = 76
- 4 dead from aids = 74
- etc, etc

till you get to 0 - then wish everyone reading the list good luck

yeah bad joke, I didn't have the energy to bother but this was an interesting read
edit on 25-8-2011 by Forevever because: see eta

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Everyone keeps ignoring the NUMBER ONE cause of death.

And that is being alive.

Ya can't die without that, can ya?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

LOL
good one

new topics

top topics

join