It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ET Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Here it goes, so this is my first Rant that's actually been in the rant section. I was just reading an article in the Guardian about the existence of aliens and if they would be a threat: We Need to Talk about Aliens

What really got me thinking were the comments. Now remember we are discussing aliens here, well anyway there seemed to be a very open minded discussion amongst the commenters and a very friendly approach to the possiblities at hand. Now this is a British newspaper and a rather prestigious one, I found it incredibly odd how open minded people seemed to be when addressing the issue and it had me reading in amazement. I was just blown away at how well people handled their thoughts and openly offered their opinions without any condescension and even added a little humor.

While I read on I began to think about ATS and how many discussions regarding this issue are handled on here. Again remember the differences between the Guardian and ATS. What was a little troubling to me was that on a site in which a great majority of the content is devoted to aliens and ufo's and whjere a great deal of the membership come to research and discuss aliens and ufo's you find such hostility towards the issue. It seems very strange to me that while at the guardian site they can openly discuss the issue in an adult way and without condescension or blanket statements or even the word 'conspiracy' mentioned while a lot of the time at ATS you find this passionate hostility and complete denial of the issue or any credence that can be applied to it, and this is on a site where a great deal of the content is strictly concerned with this issue alone. How can the average guy who reads the guardian be more open to the issue than people who spend a lot of time reading conspiracies? Isn't the alien issue one of the biggest conspiracies? I just don't get how this works.

How refreshing it was to read those comments, it made me wonder how great the Aliens and Ufo board would be if we could actually discuss the issue without the usual "they exist" and "no they don't you're delusional" argument that rages on for pages and pages. Not to say that there are not a great deal of awesome threads with open discussion etc, it's just that I have noticed a lot more recently that many members have joined in order to attack the issue and the people that discuss it. I'm not calling government agents or disinfo agents or anything, just saying that I think it's very interesting that in this point of time there seems to be more opposition to it on here than I've ever seen. I don't know why people would join an conspiracy site and go straight to the aliens forum and start telling people that they don't exist, is it trolling or just a need to put their disbelief on everyone? Religious reasons for it maybe? I don't know. But I'm absolutely sick of it. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when people state theirs as fact and join alien discussion boards to consistently try and undermine the issue for their own narccistic enjoyment and a feeling of intellectual and ideological validation, it really pisses me off.

(**Loudly exhales)

That felt good. So yeah, I'm sick of it, we should be able to discuss aliens without being ridiculed and called crazy, this is the twenty first century and these issues need addressing.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Yes! I agree, we're supposed to be open minded about this topic. Not close minded and we need to stop having childish arguments about it. It's unreal. Like people create the threads about Aliens not existing and there has to be something out there. And that is just using rational common sense.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Exactly, people doing things like making thread about aliens not existing?? I don't see the logic in that here, sure on another site where the majority of people don't believe in ET, but its just pure flaming to do it here.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I've not been to the site in question, but I have a question..

Could it be that all the flamers are censored? I do think that countries outside the good ole USA are a bit more open minded to the suggestion of ET's, but at the same time, I just have to wonder.

Good rant though. I wish people around here bashed each other a little less. I understand being passionate in ones belief, but not to the point of bitter opposition.

The bitterness, and I am guilty of harboring it, gets in the way of enlightening conversation. I'm working on getting past that.

Good stuff.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
i agree with you, but i suspect that the guardian site has a stricter filtering system on their comments

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

But you point out exactly the game plan of TPTB: to deny, ignore and confuse the issue.
Controversy is the name of the game.
I guess you haven't been watching the play-by-plays for fully half a century?
Some of us have.

I'll try to explain that cryptic remark. I see a whole wave of UFO ignorant people starting to voice their views on UFOs/ETs when they make it painfully obvious that they know nothing about the topic. Sure, TV is full of crap about the topic, but that is not the way to an honest education on the subject. The present generation has grown up with the word UFO being imprinted on their brains, but they still don't get it. They cannot connect that possibility to their real lives. The "sheeple" factor dominates among them and always will because that outcome is engineered by degrees via the "deny, ignore and confuse" route of TPTB.

I'll keep saying this: Anyone that automatically assumes the government's position on UFOs is an honest position, that the phenomena remains unknown, and whom totally ignores the huge data that points otherwise, has my sympathy, rationality is not their long suit.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

People can't discuss any issue on ATS without it getting crazy.
Religion, race, politics, aliens/ufos, crime, protesters..... you name it, it gets nasty.

It never used to be this way, people used to actually have discussions and debate one another using reason and logic and civility.

I guess when you become so popular and want as many people as possible through the "doors", this is what happens.

Lots of whiny, bitchy, hate-filled morons turn up and ruin the place.

I'm on the fence so far as actual aliens visiting earth goes, but it is one subject that fascinates me..... I am absolutely certain/positive that there are other species in the universe and I think to think otherwise is pretty closed minded.

But yes, many other sites put ATS to shame in terms of civility and respect and so on..... but hey, ATS is car-crash entertainment.....sprinkled with a few decent threads here and there, just enjoy it, don't worry too much.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I love aliens and I will discuss them openly. I just don't care what people think.

I know most people I talk to never read anything unless it's the paper or some magazine, so they never really know what the hell they are talking about and don't care. If someone calls me crazy cause I believe and talk about aliens and yet they have never read a single thing about them, to me they are the crazy one not me. I just move along and continue on.

I love the religious ones who call me crazy and say I have zero proof of aliens. I then bring up their God and say show me your "proof" God exists. They always look at me and say miracles are proof or something like that. I then offer to show them my "proof" and why I believe in aliens. There is more out there to suggest aliens exist over God. So yeah that argument is always a fun one. I have had some people get interested when I bring up the point of proof and what you deem to be proof.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I love the religious ones who call me crazy and say I have zero proof of aliens. I then bring up their God and say show me your "proof" God exists. They always look at me and say miracles are proof or something like that. I then offer to show them my "proof" and why I believe in aliens. There is more out there to suggest aliens exist over God. So yeah that argument is always a fun one. I have had some people get interested when I bring up the point of proof and what you deem to be proof.

greatest feeling in the world

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thanks for the great responses. It's good to see some level headed people here, I just find that more and more people are joining to discredit this issue, with their minds obviously already made up and these people seem to be dominating the ufo related threads as of late and it seems to be a trend on the rise. While I don't usually address these people it has become increasingly frustrating when trying to actually research and discuss developments in the field. You have people passionately attacking UFO researchers and believers regularly and the discussions seem to consistently go nowhere. Thanks for all the responses guys, you're great!

new topics

top topics

join