It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading body language can save your life.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I found this and thought I would share it with you all. It's a great topic that I don't think I've ever heard anyone discuss in this aspect.

Previously I talked about situational awareness and how important a role it plays when trying to stay one step ahead of trouble. To take it a step farther, I'm going to discuss a bit of psychology. We all have our tells and things that give our intent away. A good poker player makes his living recognizing these habits. A good survivalist can keep living if he learns to do so also. Living in the Southeast, I've heard my share of horror stories about encounters people have had while hiking the Appalachian Trail. It's something that's bound to happen sooner or later if you keep to the well beaten path. Determining the intent of those we meet can go a long way in keeping you safe whether you're in the woods or walking in a deserted parking lot. The first thing you need to do when encountering someone when you are alone and isolated is pay attention to everything. Don't start paying attention when someone is already within speaking distance. As soon as you notice you're not alone key in on the person. Watch the way they walk. Try to notice them first so you can see if their body language changes when they realize you're there. Most of the time we all relay our intent subconsciously without ever saying a word. This behavior is part of our primal instinct. The average person who means you no harm will tell you so by briefly making eye contact and then looking down or away. They may also bring their hands out into plain view if they weren't so before. It's a submissive gesture telling you that they have no ill intent and they hold no weapon. The key signs you need to be watching out for that indicate trouble are what you would typically associate with any aggressive animal. They start walking in a stiff manner, they stand up straighter with their chest out, the hands go out of view, and/or they maintain eye contact as they approach. If this happens, you need to be on guard. Focus on everything in your peripheral vision. Take note of everything. Recognize potential defensive weapons, paths of escape, places that would give you an advantage in an altercation, places that put you at a disadvantage, potential ambush points that may have a second person lying in wait. All that while maintaining focus on the person approaching.

Rest at link: mountainwoodsman.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the reminder. Its easy to get too comfortable at times.... always stay on gaurd... times are crazy.
edit on 24-8-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SnakeShot
Thanks for the reminder. Its easy to get too comfortable at times.... always stay on gaurd.

It really is. I had been backsliding on this stuff. I'm forwarding it to family members as well and everyone else I can think of. You just never know these days and making sure you're not an easy target should be at the top of everyone's list of preps.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
From my experience this article is spot on.
Thank you.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfessorVeritas
From my experience this article is spot on.
Thank you.

You're very welcome! I think we can all use a reminder of this from time to time. This is the only article I've ever found discussing these things and how they pertain to survival and self defense. There's another article about situational awareness in the same sub with it so I think it's being released as a broken down series.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Could not agree more. When I was really young I thought body language WAS the main language and that words were just to make the adults smile. In a sense, it is like that. If you can become a good body language reader, you will be a lot better off. This is a particularly good skill for females to have as well for obvious reasons. Star and Flag.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Thanks for the reminder. Its easy to get too comfortable at times.... always stay on gaurd... times are crazy.

Actually these are some of the safest times in human history domestically speaking.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by NerdGoddess
Could not agree more. When I was really young I thought body language WAS the main language and that words were just to make the adults smile. In a sense, it is like that. If you can become a good body language reader, you will be a lot better off. This is a particularly good skill for females to have as well for obvious reasons. Star and Flag.

Yes! We really are pack animals when you step back and watch social interactions. That's the reason you can manipulate anyone at all. As advanced a species as we'd like to think, we're still bound by archaic pre-verbal signals.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden

Actually these are some of the safest times in human history domestically speaking.

There's a lot of things not being logged anymore though. I think some months back there was a story about a place in Florida I believe where the average response time to a 911 call was something like 24 hours. Something insane like that. We'd like to think CSI is how it really works, but the truth is the departments are overworked, understaffed, and a lot more people have slipped through the cracks and stuck in perpetual "missing person" status.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You forgot one...when they notice you and become TOO friendly immediatly!!
In my experience a clear sign of ill intent (I'm female btw) !!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
All languages are used to deceive as well as communicate, and all communication is a assumption on understanding. Body language is no different then any other language out there. All languages are just a process of seeing what you want to see. So therefore there all illusions, and illusions will all fade or shatter, once the silence comes and you actually have to understand what is around you and why you see it as it is.

So yes body language can save your life, but only in silly things and stuff that is unimportant, if it is real, then like everything else it will fail the test.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I like to practice situational awareness whenever I am in "town". I always make brief eye contact, often followed by a nod, with nearly every person in every store i enter. I feel being a "people watcher" helps to keep a protective bubble around my family and I.

Sri Oracle

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The article has some great tells that anyone can use to assess potential danger. I have worked in some pretty rough areas of Miami and in situations that are potentially confrontational. I always practice situational awareness.It has saved me from bodily harm more than once. This can be practiced in your vehicle as well. At red lights or anytime your in an unfamiliar area, don't pull to close to the vehicle in front always look for an escape route, whether in your car or walking. Keep your eyes and ears open and focused.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeyDawn
You forgot one...when they notice you and become TOO friendly immediatly!!
In my experience a clear sign of ill intent (I'm female btw) !!

Yes! That's usually a bad sign too, but I don't know if there's always bad intent behind it.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
I like to practice situational awareness whenever I am in "town". I always make brief eye contact, often followed by a nod, with nearly every person in every store i enter. I feel being a "people watcher" helps to keep a protective bubble around my family and I.

Sri Oracle

That's good! And very important. I've started doing this with friends and family when we're out. Some places I wish I hadn't! Walmart comes to mind as being one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by bladerunner44
The article has some great tells that anyone can use to assess potential danger. I have worked in some pretty rough areas of Miami and in situations that are potentially confrontational. I always practice situational awareness.It has saved me from bodily harm more than once. This can be practiced in your vehicle as well. At red lights or anytime your in an unfamiliar area, don't pull to close to the vehicle in front always look for an escape route, whether in your car or walking. Keep your eyes and ears open and focused.

That's a very good addition. Back in the 80s I had a friend go down to Mexico. For what I never got brave enough to ask, but they told him if he hits someone to keep driving. Stopping at red lights or hidden parking lots can be dangerous. I'm glad you addressed that!

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
But by staring at a person and trying to watch their body language, what if that person is doing the same thing to see if you are threatening, and you're defensive precautions are seen as threatening to him, and you end up killing each other or something?

In the article it says if the person continues to look at you for more than a few seconds it could be bad news, so what if that person sees you looking at them in order to see if they are threatening, but they see your actions as threatening?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
But by staring at a person and trying to watch their body language, what if that person is doing the same thing to see if you are threatening, and you're defensive precautions are seen as threatening to him, and you end up killing each other or something?

In the article it says if the person continues to look at you for more than a few seconds it could be bad news, so what if that person sees you looking at them in order to see if they are threatening, but they see your actions as threatening?

I'm pretty sure it was meant peripherally because I agree with you. You can focus in on someone without staring. I do it all the time checking out women.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
This is smart information. While realizing I'm on a steep learning curve when it comes to many survival skills, I've often found comfort in my education and continuing study of social psychology and body language.

Take what people say with a grain of salt. Just watch.

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to understand the intent of a stranger is that whether we want to or not, our bodies "leak" information we want to conceal. Watch the feet. They will always point in the direction the person prefers to go in, or where their deepest concern is. In men in particular, watch their chest - no matter which direction the rest of their body is favoring, a man's chest and shoulders always face what they deem to be most important in the room.

Learn the difference between a genuine and a manufactured smile. Women are typically more "natural" with this skill, but once taught what to look for, anyone can do it.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
This is smart information. While realizing I'm on a steep learning curve when it comes to many survival skills, I've often found comfort in my education and continuing study of social psychology and body language.

Take what people say with a grain of salt. Just watch.

Another thing to keep in mind when trying to understand the intent of a stranger is that whether we want to or not, our bodies "leak" information we want to conceal. Watch the feet. They will always point in the direction the person prefers to go in, or where their deepest concern is. In men in particular, watch their chest - no matter which direction the rest of their body is favoring, a man's chest and shoulders always face what they deem to be most important in the room.

Learn the difference between a genuine and a manufactured smile. Women are typically more "natural" with this skill, but once taught what to look for, anyone can do it.

So awesome! I knew about the smiles and even more broadly fake/over exaggerated facial expressions. I did not know about the feet and chest though! Great addition!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join