It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Strangest Secret Society You've Never Heard Of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Deep in the forests of Finland lies the strangest secret society of them all. No, I'm not talking about a group of men that get naked out in the woods and behave in strange manners. In fact, this society consists entirely of non-human members led by one man, Veijo Rönkkönen.

Veijo Rönkkönen, a former paper mill worker, completed his first sculpture in 1961, and now his yard, and the path leading to it, are filled with over 450 statues, 200 of which are self portraits of the artist in Yoga positions he has mastered so far. The statues have loudspeakers hidden inside them, and the sound effects add to the eeriness of this place.

Regarded by most as the most important ensemble of contemporary folk art in Finland, the sculpture park of Veijo Rönkkönen is a lot to take in, the first time you visit. Finding yourself surrounded by hundreds of creepy statues, grinning at you with their real human teeth, is enough to spook you into turning back as soon as you set foot in the park.

The decentent owner’s (Veijo Rönkkönen) lot is 6000 m² / 1.48 acres and having nearly 500 statues which were made during nearly 45 years.

Although he has had the chance to exhibit and even sell his artworks, in auctions, Veijo Rönkkönen has never agreed to showcase his art. Every time he was asked to showcase his work, the near-hermit always replied he needed to discuss it with the statues first. Sadly, they never agreed to travel.

From what I've read, this place is located in Parikkala, Finland and is free to visit. I also read in the comments on one of the articles that Veijo Rönkkönen died in early 2010 and if that's true then I have no idea what the current state of his park is. I tried finding more information, but it seemed like there's very little. If anyone finds any additional information please leave it below.

Here are links to sites with TONS of photos-
sartenada.wordpress.com...
www.odditycentral.com...
accidentalmysteries.blogspot.com...

Discuss!
edit on 24-8-2011 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-8-2011 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
now after looking at the pics and statues go ahead an imagine that say 2000-5000 years into the future the new human race finds this place and sets up a new archeological dig...

What kind of conclusions do you think future humans/archeologists will make about current humans??

will this place be the new Easter-island?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

Yep, that is completely weird and I couldn't help but think of this song...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I imagine they'd be sure it has an extremely important message behind it all.
"What could this all mean??" "There must be something we're missing here!" "Look there're some sort of audio devices inside these statues!"

(They get the speakers working again)

"What's that sound?" "It sounds like men doing Yoga!" "WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?!?!?"

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Wow that guy was prolific. And pretty good at yoga apparently too.
My question is where the hell did he get all the HUMAN TEETH for his sculptures?!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I don't think future humans will ever notice this lol. Its all made of wood yo.
Maybe its not, its sort of hard to tell. Its very freaky, I'd like to see it at night with some creepy music and low light.
edit on 24/8/2011 by SubSurge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one
now after looking at the pics and statues go ahead an imagine that say 2000-5000 years into the future the new human race finds this place and sets up a new archeological dig...

What kind of conclusions do you think future humans/archeologists will make about current humans??

will this place be the new Easter-island?

If future archaeologists are anything like our contemporary varieties, it will be labeled either a tomb or a holy place where the ancients came to sacrifice to their gods.

If it's dug up and there's no (acceptable mainstream) explanation, it's always either a tomb, a temple or a place of sacrifice. case closed, move along... nothing to see here, lol.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hopefully future human beings don't unearth these statues and think they were people who turned around when god said not to!

"They're making noises! Their souls are trapped inside!"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
how is that a society of one person?

new topics

top topics

join