It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how you create Terrorism!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Who knows of the crimes and atrocities that a U.S. company comitted in Guatemala in the 20th century??? I'm talking about those who sold the "chiquita" banana, and mistreated the Guatemalan population. All in the name of making money for the shareholders. This is how you create terrorism.

Anyone?? I'll post some links soon.

Edited title thread to see if there would be any difference in reaction here.
Old title thread was: United Fruit and Guatemala

[edit on 20-8-2004 by TheBandit795]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I am vaguely familiar with the name of the company. Did they have anything to do with the CIA?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Yep, the CIA sponsored a coup to overthrow the democratically elected Guatemalan president at the time, because he wanted to redistribute land owned by the company to indian peasants. The company succesfully convinced president Eisenhower that the Guatemalan government was a communist threat. So he gave the ok for the CIA to invade the country to topple the government, so the United Fruit company could keep the land and keep abusing the Guatemalan people for money and profits...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The company was owned by Nelson Rockefeller wasn't it?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Seems so too... As if they don't have a right to live in a comfortable and peaceful world. Only Western people have that right, eh???

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Interesting...I knew there was something evil about Bananas

In all seriousness, this is a perfect example of Capitalism at its finest.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Man this makes me mad. It really is the same OLD story the rich and the poor. Makes you wonder if we will ever learn, or is it just that in a competitive world those that will do anything even if it�s bad to gain the upper hand will take control.
Now im going to have to check where my bananas have come from. Thanks to a greedy consumerist society with a forgetful nature, i have to be watched from above listed numbered dna profiled fingerprinted and taxed extra to be protected from the bad people who will do anything to get rich who then tell me it was for my own good.

[edit on 20-8-2004 by kode]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
In 1954, a CIA-orchestrated coup ended what Guatemalans call the "Ten Years of Spring,"

Jacobo Arbenz, elected in 1950
The United Fruit Company (now Chiquita) (UFCo) protested when unused portions of its vast holdings were expropriated and distributed to land-less peasants.

The Guatemala goverment paid the tax value of the land to the US company. But two of the stock holders were the Dulles brothers, Secretary of State and head of the CIA in the Eisenhower administration.

Talking about US goverment involment does this ring a bell.

Colonel Castillo Armas became the new president and the the U. S. Ambassador furnished Armas with lists of radical opponents to be eliminated and the arrest and tourture began.

Some 140,000 people have been killed and another 45,000 disappeared in a U.S. backed scorched earth campaign to wipe out dissidents, rebels and activists for peace and social justice in Guatemala.

Clearly US does not show any compashion when it comes to big money interest corruption in the goverment (sound like Haliburton and Cheney in Iraq) as long as profits are made. This things are kept quiet and sometimes the goverment has a way to keep it that way.

I got my sources from

www.geocities.com...

[edit on 20-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Whoa���so my ancestors in the Caribbean were eating bananas before people here in the mainland.

Chiquita banana, Dole and Del Monte are brands I grow up with in PR they used to own fields and fields of it, specially pineapples, but not anymore, the children used to go in the fields and steal the fruits to sell them later along the side of the road to the tourist.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
In 1954, a CIA-orchestrated coup ended what Guatemalans call the "Ten Years of Spring,"

Jacobo Arbenz, elected in 1950
The United Fruit Company (now Chiquita) (UFCo) protested when unused portions of its vast holdings were expropriated and distributed to land-less peasants.

The Guatemala goverment paid the tax value of the land to the US company. But two of the stock holders were the Dulles brothers, Secretary of State and head of the CIA in the Eisenhower administration.

Talking about US goverment involment does this ring a bell.

Colonel Castillo Armas became the new president and the the U. S. Ambassador furnished Armas with lists of radical opponents to be eliminated and the arrest and tourture began.

Some 140,000 people have been killed and another 45,000 disappeared in a U.S. backed scorched earth campaign to wipe out dissidents, rebels and activists for peace and social justice in Guatemala.

Clearly US does not show any compashion when it comes to big money interest corruption in the goverment (sound like Haliburton and Cheney in Iraq) as long as profits are made. This things are kept quiet and sometimes the goverment has a way to keep it that way.

I got my sources from

www.geocities.com...

[edit on 20-8-2004 by marg6043]

Saying that the whole thing makes me vomit is too little... I am truly amazed. Isn't it the same stuff going on in Iraq?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:12 AM
link   
You can read declassified documents on it at the National Security Archives:

CIA and Assassinations: The Guatemala 1954 Documents
The first CIA effort to overthrow the Guatemalan president--a CIA collaboration with Nicaraguan dictator Anastacio Somoza to support a disgruntled general named Carlos Castillo Armas and codenamed Operation PBFORTUNE--was authorized by President Truman in 1952. As early as February of that year, CIA Headquarters began generating memos with subject titles such as "Guatemalan Communist Personel to be disposed of during Military Operations," outlining categories of persons to be neutralized "through Executive Action"--murder--or through imprisonment and exile. The "A" list of those to be assassinated contained 58 names--all of which the CIA has excised from the declassified documents.

PBSUCCESS, authorized by President Eisenhower in August 1953, carried a $2.7 million budget for "pychological warfare and political action" and "subversion," among the other components of a small paramilitary war. But, according to the CIA's own internal study of the agency's so-called "K program," up until the day Arbenz resigned on June 27, 1954, "the option of assassination was still being considered." While the power of the CIA's psychological-war, codenamed "Operation Sherwood," against Arbenz rendered that option unnecessary, the last stage of PBSUCCESS called for "roll-up of Communists and collaborators." Although Arbenz and his top aides were able to flee the country, after the CIA installed Castillo Armas in power, hundreds of Guatemalans were rounded up and killed. Between 1954 and 1990, human rights groups estimate, the repressive operatives of sucessive military regimes murdered more than 100,000 civilians.

Whenever a country nationalizes US or British economic interests, a coup is not far behind.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Well I see it this way, if they did it for bananas, can you imagine for oil, government and his cronies in the energy business will burn the entire Iraqi country and their people just to get hold of that oil.

That is why the Iraqi people has been targeted terrorist so the killing looks justify.

And this just an opinion

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I think they pulled the same thing in Nicaragua, destabilised the region then profited on it. Also in Angola too, turned a small regional conflict into endless civil war and genocide.

CIA

Oh and who could forget Pinochet, Iran, Iraq, Mujahedin in Afganistan, Suharto (?) in Indonesia. CIA has a tendency to support crazy people all over the world. I don't know if anyone remembers but they put Nelson Mendela on the list of dangerous terrorists first. Then after he won, suddenly they were shaking his hand and smiling.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
BUMP!!!

posted on Apr, 21 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 26 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What does that have to do with this thread??

posted on Aug, 27 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Thanks for bringing this thread back I was confuse when I read it, but now I remember.

Is nice to go back into archives and see how things has gotten in a certain path.

Bandid I love that link, it truly shows where the roads are heading.

We live in an illusion of fix and variable interest rates that seems to be in a control environment.

One thing I already know is how China has gotten hold of our debt and many people still do no understand that China is not what it may seem but also another illusion.

The second link points very well to the reality of how US since the world war took over the world and profited from the war.

Whenever is war is profits to be make, and when the economies are not doing well more wars has to be wagged.

The total control of Global markets still has not been attain when it comes to oil for future energy needs that is why the US is wagging war in the middle east.

We live in a world of illusions and make believe and is very sad that agendas and the sacrifice of American sons and daughters are used to pursue them.

It has been done for a long time and is very true when someone say that history repeats itself.

All you have to do is how wars has been wagged and the result of them from the financial and profitable point of view, without the ideologies that are fed to the populations to justify them.

Funny how under the pursue of wealth and global control countries are bombed, contained and deterred while others are forgotten and starved.

While we are sold the ideology that the countries targeted and forgotten has brought upon themselves what they are getting.

While World Bank will continue to adjust to US and allies, foreign policies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join