It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suggestions Please on new path at 46 years old

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Hey I have been in IT for 6 years most of which with the one small company, I recently moved job to a place where
i used to visit as their IT support.

The trouble is it's automation software i am developing, and learning from scratch. No one there will give me any help, the boss's pet is second in command and his a horrible arrogant person, that constantly puts me down, one way or another. I don't think i can survive there. I also do their IT which I am good at , but i have to put everything through the boss's pet with that too.

My reason for posting is, i am thoroughly disheartened with IT now, and need to do something else. I can't stop working as i need the money, but not sure what else i can turn too. I would welcome some ideas/ suggestions

I currently earn £24000 a year and can't afford to earn less.

It's more complicated than i have posted , but essentially the facts are these above.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Well don't come to the US and try to start over. Everyone knows that we are evil and will just destroy you and the rest of the world after that. lol just joking. I don't know how things work where you are from but I would try to figure out what I would enjoy doing first. Then get a student loan, go back to school and study that subject. All the while just putting up with your crappy job until you finish and can find a job you would enjoy yourself with. It may take a while but the end result will be worth it. Don't really see a quick fix for that kind of problem. I don't know about your experienced but every job I have had there always seems to be some a@#$ole that makes things more difficult some how. I have just learned to accept it lol.
edit on 24-8-2011 by billy197300 because: add

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
At least you have a job.
I have been employed for 24 years as an elevator tech,got laid off a month ago.
I say stick with it,or go to school while working to get into another position.
Good luck,cause it's tough out there.
BTW I,m 46 years old also.
I have begun my new path.1st ,I'm a house husband now since my wife makes good money,2nd,I'm doing some odd jobs for family and friends.
3rd,I'm thinking about going back to school to get certified in hvac .
But,I am getting bored,kinda missing the fast paced life,but then,again,enjoying my time off.
edit on 24-8-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Lead the revolution! It is high time that we got rid of lawyers/barristers and professional politicians. After the revolution, or towards the end, declare the bosses pet an enemy of the state and give him his blindfold; unless you use the guillotine

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
Well don't come to the US and try to start over. Everyone knows that we are evil and will just destroy you and the rest of the world after that. lol just joking. I don't know how things work where you are from but I would try to figure out what I would enjoy doing first. Then get a student loan, go back to school and study that subject. All the while just putting up with your crappy job until you finish and can find a job you would enjoy yourself with. It may take a while but the end result will be worth it. Don't really see a quick fix for that kind of problem. I don't know about your experienced but every job I have had there always seems to be some a@#$ole that makes things more difficult some how. I have just learned to accept it lol.

Yup , there is always the resident forehead.
Just thought this one would be different, but hey ho,it's worse than usual.
Thanks for replying.

Originally posted by kdog1982
At least you have a job.

Sorry to hear you have lost your job. I really hope that you find one soon.
It's tough every where at the minute. Lets have a cyber drink and a toast to
"Happy Days"

Good luck

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Lead the revolution! It is high time that we got rid of lawyers/barristers and professional politicians. After the revolution, or towards the end, declare the bosses pet an enemy of the state and give him his blindfold; unless you use the guillotine

Yes , a great idea , a bit like Karma for the Boss's pet.
but the karma could be delivered.

Ye i like that "Power to the beleaguered Rigel4"

Viv la revolution

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4

Originally posted by billy197300

Yup , there is always the resident forehead.
Just thought this one would be different, but hey ho,it's worse than usual.
Thanks for replying.

Originally posted by kdog1982
At least you have a job.

Sorry to hear you have lost your job. I really hope that you find one soon.
It's tough every where at the minute. Lets have a cyber drink and a toast to
"Happy Days"

Good luck

Cyber drink!
To be honest,I was hating my job to.
They did me a favor cause it was just getting ridiculous.
My boss was telling what I need to be doing instead of listening to me.And he didn't know anything about elevators.Not one part,nut or bolt.
Thanks,and I am happier now.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I found myself in the same position at DHL. This guy Tommy was a real knob. I started looking happy to see him each day and would say some of the most unbelievable BS to him like. "Man Tommy, this place would fall apart if it wasn't for you." and "Tommy, you are the glue that holds this place together." or "Tommy, what would they do without you."

I mean this stuff was so outrageous I would have never expected anyone to swallow it, and the way I said it was always with sarcasm in my voice. None of my co-workers could believe it either. They would say I had Tommy in my back pocket.

What I got out of it was that people like this are very immature and petty by nature, so much so that you can almost use child psychology with them. Their egos are crying out to be stroked so bad, that they will mistake insincerity for sincerity. Anyway the short of it was instead of being looked at as a suckup, I brightened everyone's day by humiliating him, and he would cooperate with it.

Hope this helps you. Remember keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer. Good luck m8
edit on 24-8-2011 by Ittabena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Awww darlin, you must be a man.
In a woman's world, we trained the guy and he is now our boss and only knows what we taught him. Yet he gets to put us down and we have too work around him to get anything done.
You poor baby, suck it up and be glad your not female and only making 3/4ths the pay.
So sorry not to help more, just giving you a look into my world.

edit on 24-8-2011 by MissPoovey because: its 3/5ths sorry for the higher fraction

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

You poor baby, suck it up

Pretty harsh don't you think? A guy asks for help and you kick him for being in a difficulty? I don't think you work and play well with others.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Spoken like another of the male species.
Women suck it up all the time, day in and day out. No one gives us a break. We spend our working lives playing well with others. For less pay and longer hours, not to mention, but I will, fewer benefits.
I truly do not wish to hurt anyones feelings, however life sucks sometimes,as any female could tell ya.
Back on topic;
Let us know what you decide, we are all anxiously awaiting the answer to your situation.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I left my job a few months ago due to bullying. I was pretty settled there. After 5 years of working in aerospace engineering I thought I had found where I wanted to stay. There's always someone that shoots you down when you're doing well due to jealousy.

Anyway, at the tender age of 23, I'm trying to find a new direction. I want to study criminal psychology and criminology, but even at my age, its very difficult to get into education if you don't have money behind you.

Anyway, Im sorry I haven't actually been any help, I just hope you find something soon. I know we all need to make money to live, but life's to short to waste it on things that really aren't making us happy.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MissPoovey

your reply was a not a lot of use. Why does it help to bring the sex card in. It does not help this person one bit. How about if I played the special needs card, or the ethnic card or the gay one.
Yes peeps have it hard sometimes, even single white males and when someone has it hard pointing out other people that have it hard too is of no help...

As for the OP, the thought of stepping off a cliff, it worse than stepping off the cliff itself. If you want to change your job you can. Keep looking and keep your ears to the ground. I have worked in a diverse range of jobs, things turn up when you look.
Ask people, look in papers, tell your friends you are looking..

In the meantime put a little friction towards the person that is giving you grief in the work place. The best type is a bullet that comes far and wide... one that cannot be located.... you got a head.. use it..

k)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
rigel4, I know where you are coming from. I once worked at a printing company where the son and daughter of the owner were the bosses. The only thing they knew was what they learned in college. This didn't teach them any people skills such as not yelling at the workers. I yelled back and was booted out the door.

I lost another job due to no fault of my own last year and have since been on the unemployment train going back to school to earn a degree in something more meaningful to myself.
My advise, take another job and go back to school if you need/want to. I'm 49 years old if that matters any.

Take care,
SL

top topics

join