It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year Old Uses Techniques From Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training Camp To Stop Bully

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Emanuele_C
What a load of c**p! When I was 11, I was a fairly little and kind boy and I too was object of a bully's attentions because I was very clever at school and this thing made him mad. That idiot was praticing martial arts himself so Brazilian JJ (or Chuck Norris jump spin back kick) was NOT an option for me. Someday he used one of his tecniques punching my left eye with his knee. As a result I went in hospital... I recovered after a couple of days. What happened to him? He was: 1) expelled from the school for three months, 2) lost the year and 3) reported to the police. No other idiot nor him bothered me again. We're so proud to be an "advanced civilization", well we've laws and rules and we should use them. Violence brings violence and Martin was VERY lucky: next time he could face a gun instead of a bottle of water.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Emanuele_C because: (no reason given)

Laws are all well and good.... but if the bully had hit you temple and you were now blind or worse dead.... where would teh just be for your loved ones. Self defense and confidence will help prevent these situations or at least even the odds. Karma maybe powerful and all.. but if you don't defend yourself and family then you have done nothing to prevent further harm to them.

p.s. woot for the austin bjj guy, i used to train there also under william.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

edit on 26-8-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Sorry but -IMHO- u missed my point. By allowing Martin to fight back, and NOT acting preemptively against the bully in the first place (as a real school should have done), school's principal approved a non-written rule: take all on yourself, Martin, bacause we -as school and ADULTS- cannot/want to do anything to prevent someone to harrass you. THIS is to my eyes the biggest fault of our system. Moreover i DON'T NEED to learn BJJ or any other self-defense discipline or BUY a GUN to leave peacefully in this world for the rest of my life: it's plain stupid and idiotic. Don't buy this c**p because -IMO- it's exactly the way they want us to live and that we should avoid. World is beautiful and most of the people (like you and me) are honest and exquisite; there aren't boogeyman/monsters around any corner. Stop this fear, please.

Originally posted by scoobdude

What a load of c**p! When I was 11, I was a fairly little and kind boy and I too was object of a bully's attentions because I was very clever at school and this thing made him mad. That idiot was praticing martial arts himself so Brazilian JJ (or Chuck Norris jump spin back kick) was NOT an option for me. Someday he used one of his tecniques punching my left eye with his knee. As a result I went in hospital... I recovered after a couple of days. What happened to him? He was: 1) expelled from the school for three months, 2) lost the year and 3) reported to the police. No other idiot nor him bothered me again. We're so proud to be an "advanced civilization", well we've laws and rules and we should use them. Violence brings violence and Martin was VERY lucky: next time he could face a gun instead of a bottle of water.

Laws are all well and good.... but if the bully had hit you temple and you were now blind or worse dead.... where would teh just be for your loved ones. Self defense and confidence will help prevent these situations or at least even the odds. Karma maybe powerful and all.. but if you don't defend yourself and family then you have done nothing to prevent further harm to them.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

You idea only works If I'm looking to win an argument which I'm clearly not, I'm merely stating that I believe the initial story is tosh and that in the real world bullies do not work that way.

Whilst I'm sure one on one would favour the person with the training I rarely see such civilised odds on the streets.

A strange reply to me I must say...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Sorry but -IMHO- u missed my point. By allowing Martin to fight back, and NOT acting preemptively against the bully in the first place (as a real school should have done), school's principal approved a non-written rule: take all on yourself, Martin, bacause we -as school and ADULTS- cannot/want to do anything to prevent someone to harrass you. THIS is to my eyes the biggest fault of our system. Moreover i DON'T NEED to learn BJJ or any other self-defense discipline or BUY a GUN to leave peacefully in this world for the rest of my life: it's plain stupid and idiotic. Don't buy this c**p because -IMO- it's exactly the way they want us to live and that we should avoid. World is beautiful and most of the people (like you and me) are honest and exquisite; there aren't boogeyman/monsters around any corner. Stop this fear, please.

Kids USED to be taught to not depend on anyone but themselves. The training was an attempt to put the power of the kids life BACK in his hands. Lets move this up a bit. The U.S.S.R had nukes... so we should not have made our own and just pray that diplomacy will save us? We made our own to equalize the threat. If the world worked like it should neither country would have need them. Now back down to our level, if the school structure worked like it should then there would be no bullying. But because there is so much red tape the teachers/administration can do nothing. So this problem continues. We actually took our daughter out of school because we tried everything else (she told the teacher, we talked to the teacher, kid's parents, etc) and the issue continued. So I taught my daughter (5 years old and smallest in the class) to defend herself....and she did. What you are saying is I have done wrong... yet I pursued the exact trail you said I should have. So explain what SHOULD happened instead of her defending herself AT THAT POINT

The one thing the people that keep saying this is wrong are not admitting to, is that when the system fails to protect us we are left standing alone... what is the best course of action at that point...the one where diplomacy fails... the one where there are no authority figures on the walk home from school..........NO ONE TO SAVE OUR KIDS (yes I went there "oh the kids"), spouses, etc

And about guns... yes everyone should own one. They are used for killing, but so are cars, hammers, knives and several other things. But when you turn 80 and are just not quite as quick as you used to be... you need something to equalize the threat ......what you fail to understand is no one has to get shot.... but then again no one should get robbed, bullied, raped, or kidnapped either. I wish no harm on you friend and I hope you are never in a situation where you did not have a tool you needed because diplomacy should have fixed the situation when you first saw it sparkle

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

You idea only works If I'm looking to win an argument which I'm clearly not, I'm merely stating that I believe the initial story is tosh and that in the real world bullies do not work that way.

Whilst I'm sure one on one would favour the person with the training I rarely see such civilised odds on the streets.

A strange reply to me I must say...

To destroy one's ego is to introduce them to humbleness....its up to the person to accept it as a trait

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wow, there are some well-restrained people on this thread. Had I been bullied as a kid, it probably would not have been good for the bully or for me. I've always been of a mind that if a person makes unprovoked aggressive physical contact with me - say a hard shove or a punch in the face - at that point, anything goes. As far as I'm concerned, if you commit such an act, you should expect to suffer a serious injury. Whatever is near at hand would be fair game: bricks, rocks, a baseball bat, what have you. I would not be above continuing the beating once the aggressor is down either, for a few blows anyway, at least one of them being to the genitals. That would be the bully's first and last warning. Any bullying after that justifies the taking of steps to ensure that he is physically incapable of bullying anyone again. After all, it's much more difficult to prey on the weak if you are in a wheelchair or have no thumbs.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesquid
If ever in a fight, the last thing you do is go to the ground. It only takes one fast good kick, and your done.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is for training. Only the masters can use it in a real fight, if no one kicks them while they are on the ground. Cute story, but nothing makes up for power.

I strongly disagree with this comment.

Ive personally seen more street fights won by BJJ from practicioners that were not even purple belt level. BJJ Masters?
If your BJJ isnt good enough to use effectively in a real situation, you wont even get past whitebelt.
BJJ is not Shotokan Karate, where you wax on and wax off.
You learn actual techniques and how to apply them from Day one.
Rolling with a skilled purple belt on a mat in practice will feel harder than any street fight youve ever been in

The Gracie family formed a sanctioned event to prove it, asking all comer, boxers, wrestlers etc to come and tray to beat their champion..scrawny 150lb Royce Gracie, with 100k as the purse.
They didnt have to pay anyone. No one could beat Royce.
This event is known today as UFC1.

You must not have much experience fighting... which is awesome, I applaud your ability to stay out of confrontation, but I will add you are also lucky.

Most attackers won't allow you to stand and trade with them like nin the movies.
Lastly, if the attacker is bigger and stronger, on the ground height and reach are nullified.
you are now equal in those areas.
Do you know what to do next?.. BJJ teches you what to do.

I sincerely hope you do not, ...........but if you ever get into a serous scrap with an attacker, you'll see how flawed your comment was.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Great post. It's hard to explain a foreign concept like this to someone who hasn't experienced it. While everyone is talking about hollywood fighting styles that look cool, jiu jitsu flys under the radar as a more effective fighting style.

How did they prove it? UFC 1 of course.... I think that was when we had a pure comparison of martial art versus martial art.... now everyone practices MMA, where they mix styles, so you can no longer compare one style against another.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
reply to post by BadNinja68

Great post. It's hard to explain a foreign concept like this to someone who hasn't experienced it. While everyone is talking about hollywood fighting styles that look cool, jiu jitsu flys under the radar as a more effective fighting style.

How did they prove it? UFC 1 of course.... I think that was when we had a pure comparison of martial art versus martial art.... now everyone practices MMA, where they mix styles, so you can no longer compare one style against another.

BJJ is not so under the radar anymore as i believe in my area alone there are 5 schools for it. I practiced it for 2 years (and I need to start up again), but more effective is subjective to the situation. If there is more than 1 or 2 people staying on your feet would much more advisable. Sometimes running would be as well. The main advantage to BJJ is neutralizes any weight, height, or strength advantage. I rolled with a 350lb dude one time (new comer) and had no problem reversing the situation. But I am just trying to point out that BJJ is not the "best" martial art for every situation.

IMHO it is best to be a jack of all trades and master of none than to become to specialized. Example: It would be better to be an EMT than a "fill in the blank" surgeon becuase surgeons do not even know how to carry a patient much less get them out of bed, while the EMT would have a better chance of getting the patient to the emergency room. Same goes with martial arts, none are bad, and all have their place. If you only know ground fighting, then you will have a harder time defending yourself while standing up etc.

That being said self defense is still vital to survival. Its like carrying a gun, hammer, pliers or knife or any other tool that may never used (and hopefully never needed), but if you did... you will be glad you have it.

p.s. BJJ is not just ground fighting

edit on 26-8-2011 by scoobdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Lol please get the # out with your bull#.
I was bullied for years and driven to near suicide, I told the school but they did #.
So one time I gave the kid a broken nose. Never heard from him again.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Glad there are people completely DIFFERENT from you in this world.

As for the guns you seem to love so much: an hammer is made to drive nails, a car is made to go to work or bring the family to holidays, a GUN is made simply to kill, to kill as fast as possible. You seem to feel yourself in a western movie or you believe to be Chuck Norris that puts nails in the iron with his 44 magnum or... you like the thought to kill someone.

Common sense doesn't work here. Enough for me, bye bye

Kids USED to be taught to not depend on anyone but themselves. The training was an attempt to put the power of the kids life BACK in his hands. Lets move this up a bit. The U.S.S.R had nukes... so we should not have made our own and just pray that diplomacy will save us? We made our own to equalize the threat. If the world worked like it should neither country would have need them. Now back down to our level, if the school structure worked like it should then there would be no bullying. But because there is so much red tape the teachers/administration can do nothing. So this problem continues. We actually took our daughter out of school because we tried everything else (she told the teacher, we talked to the teacher, kid's parents, etc) and the issue continued. So I taught my daughter (5 years old and smallest in the class) to defend herself....and she did. What you are saying is I have done wrong... yet I pursued the exact trail you said I should have. So explain what SHOULD happened instead of her defending herself AT THAT POINT

The one thing the people that keep saying this is wrong are not admitting to, is that when the system fails to protect us we are left standing alone... what is the best course of action at that point...the one where diplomacy fails... the one where there are no authority figures on the walk home from school..........NO ONE TO SAVE OUR KIDS (yes I went there "oh the kids"), spouses, etc

And about guns... yes everyone should own one. They are used for killing, but so are cars, hammers, knives and several other things. But when you turn 80 and are just not quite as quick as you used to be... you need something to equalize the threat ......what you fail to understand is no one has to get shot.... but then again no one should get robbed, bullied, raped, or kidnapped either. I wish no harm on you friend and I hope you are never in a situation where you did not have a tool you needed because diplomacy should have fixed the situation when you first saw it sparkle

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Glad there are people completely DIFFERENT from you in this world.

As for the guns you seem to love so much: an hammer is made to drive nails, a car is made to go to work or bring the family to holidays, a GUN is made simply to kill, to kill as fast as possible. You seem to feel yourself in a western movie or you believe to be Chuck Norris that puts nails in the iron with his 44 magnum or... you like the thought to kill someone.

Common sense doesn't work here. Enough for me, bye bye

I don't love guns, only been hunting once and have only ever been to the range about 3 times in my life. That does not mean I cannot see the multifaceted use of said tool. Yes they are designed for killing, whether it be the coyote, bear, rattle snake, rabid dog or person high on opium trying to harm you or your family. Would diplomacy work with said animals..... would self defense work? Even a gun is useless if not the right tool for the job. Sometimes, like i said you need to have the right cards in your hand to stay in the game of life and self defense is a good card to hold but should never be the only one you carry.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I would like to share something of a bit more personal nature than I would normally volunteer on ATS.

My hope is that what I have to say makes enough of an impression on anyone who has a child going through a similar challenge who may be considering taking a short miracle self defense course like what is advertised in the OP reconsider and understand the money and effort is better used to finance a long term commitment in a conventional martial arts or sports program.

First off, It is clear to me that most of the folks posting have never been in a real fist fight or had to defend themselves against a P.O.'d aggressor intent on inflicting great bodily harm.

I understand this conversation is taking place within the secure anonymity of the internet where masculine posturing and social bravado is a hollow exercise as cheap as the cost to render the pixels of text on my monitor so please understand that is not my intent.

Personally, I have a rule to never curse or conduct myself in a rude or disrespectful manner online as I believe such behavior is similar to threatening bodily harm to another man over the telephone, it is both cowardly and impotent.

With that established I hope that any of you reading take my following comment in the spirit I have intended, advice from experience and not a sophomoric challenge. I am a peaceful man who seldom raises my voice and react to most hostility with pity and understanding.

I was raised by my working class grandmother in a poor suburb of Los Angeles called Pacoima.

In the 1970's Pacoima was a 2nd and 3rd generation mexican barrio where the deeply embedded latino gang culture was the rule of law. What could be seen of the billboards and store signage under the spraypainted graffiti was 90% spanish, there were metal bars on all the windows wherever you went and passing somebody on the street huffing spraypaint from a sock was as common as passing somebody nursing a double latte most other places.

As a blue eyed caucasian I was both a minority and target of unsolicited assault for grievances as irrational and senseless as walking down the wrong street going to school or wearing a Van Halen T-shirt in the wrong gangs territory.

For anyone interested the Edward James Olmos movie American Me is an above average film portraying the local flavor of the Los Angeles barrio culture.

I have been in more than a few street fights as a kid. I seldom had any choice in the matter so I am neither proud or ashamed of my actions. I understand that for many in this day and age violence is repugnant and I respect that. For me it was a long time in the past, I did what I had to to get by and that is just how it is.

After you get beaten down enough times you either learn to fight back or learn to run faster, talking with parents or teachers is futile and calling the police is to invite real problems as cop callers are ranked just below child molesters.

Once the word is out and the label has stuck, the retribution wont stop until you move far away.

I am fortunate in that as an adult I am 6'4" so I was always a big kid for my age. I have always had a strong enough sense of dignity and self worth so that I was comfortable standing up for myself, but that is neither here nor there.

I have seen lots instances where desperate parents enrolled their kids in variations of self defense classes in the hope that they could learn to defend themselves and I've seen the result as well. The YMCA at the neighborhood public park offered free martial arts instruction in the summertime.( Ritchie Valens community center, the only local boy made good to be a recognizable household name) From first hand observation, when a desperate parents enrolls their child in a short term self defense class it will end poorly .

The stories where the slight statured meek guy gets roughed up by the local bully, learns some kung fu then returns to clock the bully who drops like a sack of potatoes revealing he was nothing but a big pansy with a glass jaw is a fiction.

In real life the kid doing the bullying is a budding sociopathic reject who pals around with other like minded delinquents who's self worth is measured by their often well earned reputations for savagery.

They may take individual turns dealing out grief to some poor sod one at a time for grins and giggles but the moment they sense a challenge or threat they are going to all pile on like a pack of feral dogs.

If you are motivated and act decisively an average person may hold their own against 2 people but when it gets to be 3/4/5 on 1, it doesn't matter if you are Chuck Norris, nothing short of a pistol with a full clip is going to stop the inevitable beating.

These situations get very ugly very quickly. With small children one of them gets a fat lip, starts crying and that's the end of it. When kids get to be 12 or 13 they are getting strong enough to break teeth and crack ribs and by then the mean ones have been in enough tussles to have their noses bloodied and think little of it.

It takes months and years of practice and dedication for martial arts training to be good for anything besides building false confidence with which to get beat up for running your mouth. I have no doubt that someone who has trained for years in a particular style can hold their own if pushed but I have never once seen a situation where a joe average type surprise's everyone watching by suddenly leaping into action, smashing the jerk to the ground Bruce Lee style.

I have however seen someone who lived and breathed martial arts have a very bad day.
Over the few months I knew him he never missed a chance to tell anyone who would listen about his black belt and could be rather boorish but otherwise seemed alright.

A group of us were leaving the grocery store when my friend the black belt bumped into a gal walking in.
It wasn't a big deal but the bald headed and tattooed boyfriend/brother (whichever) with her made a quick scene of it and wouldnt let it go.

They squared off, my black belt acquaintance took some karate looking stance and the next thing you saw was the angry hispanic guy step up and drill him 3 or 4 times rapid fire, he crumpled like a wet noodle and hit the asphalt. The angry guy with the gal kicked him in the gut once more, made a big show of spitting on him and walked into the store like nothing had happened.

We didn't really see much of the guy after that but I guess I don't blame him really.

Again, I absolutely believe in the right to defend ones self when threatened but not everyone has it in them ( truthfully, most don't which is why most altercations between even grown men amount to little more than shouting threats and shoving)

The problem is that the few who do actually enjoy violence usually get lots of practice and are good at it.

For a kid that's scared of his own shadow, a few trips to the Dojo and a pep talk from the sensei is not going to change a single thing.
Granted, the environment surrounding my experience is the exception rather than the rule of the level the of childhood violence within most other western cultures but it is the other side of the coin and should be told.

If your going to encourage somebody to react to physical aggression in kind you need to also prepare them for the possible consequence of their failure which neither the feel good fluff advertisement in the OP nor the majority of posters are considering.

Take it for what you will but it is the gods honest truth.

edit on 27-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

Sounds like in your neighborhood, a deer rifle with a powerful scope and a good vantage point might have been the best way to ensure you didn't get beaten down by the same guy twice, and that his buddies didn't come after you. Hopefully the guy will have roughed up enough people that his friends and family would have a hard time narrowing down the list of people who might have ended his life.

Another good option, though rather involved and labor intensive, is to somehow kidnap the perpetrator. Obviously, you would have to have a proper set-up for this. A private residence with a basement and not too many neighbors. This is really more for adults who are having problems with "bullies", not so much for kids or teens. But once you manage to imprison and immobilize the subject, you remove his fingers and thumbs. A bolt cutter would probably work like a charm. Be sure not to let him bleed to death. Not really sure how much blood a severed finger will produce, but if you do one at a time you would probably be able to keep things under control. To eliminate seeing, a small propane torch should work fine. For hearing, maybe just a pencil or screwdriver. Just have to be sure not to poke too far in. You don't want to kill the guy. Preventing talking would probably be the trickiest part, but I'd start with the tongue and teeth. If he could still communicate, you'd probably have to do something with the larynx. Maybe just a set of plyers? Could you permanently crush a person's larynx without cutting off his air? I bet you could. Anyhoo. That should pretty much prevent him from communicating with the police or anyone else about your identity. Then you drop him off someplace inconspicuous and call the police from a pay phone (if you can find one anymore, lol) and get him rescued. Guaranteed not to eff with you again, even if he wants to. If you've done the job right, that should be the last you hear about it.

edit on 27-8-2011 by Orkojoker because: added text.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join