It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year Old Uses Techniques From Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training Camp To Stop Bully

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

Please, normal kids do not consult the faculty when abused by a bully. I personally give this kid props to have the balls to take care of business. So to your comments about bringing guns to school, I believe you shouldnt be negative about a positive thread. your fighting this with fear based problems that in a normal world should not exist. I can understand the comment, its just the context i dont understand. unless your just playing devils advocate just to troll?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Nice post OP! I too, am a fan of BJJ. I've trained under Pedro Sauer, a long time friend and student of the Gracies. When I first started training my friend told me that everyone in the class would be able to submit me at first. I must admit that I had my doubts, as I am 6'5" and weigh about 275 lbs. and I was a wrestler in high school. Well, sure enough, I started rolling with a 16 yr. old kid who was half my size, and he had me tapping from an arm bar in about 30 seconds! Needless to say, it made a believer out of me. You are absolutely right, when you say it is a great self defense martial art. The only thing I would add is that I think it is wise to be trained any other forms as well. As you stated, most fights will end up on the ground at some point, and the person with superior grappling skills will have a distinct advantage at that point. However, BJJ is not much help when fighting more than one person, so it is wise to be proficiently trained in a striking defense as well. Thanks again for the post.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
So a kid uses BJJ to fight, i've also heard that boxers win fights by hitting people. That is what BJJ was created for, to allow a smaller person defeat a bigger person. Based on the principals of judo, the Gracie family created their own style.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s
What's the kid gonna do when the bully brings a gun to schools and slaughters him and many others?

I think bullies are typically the cause of their victims bringing guns to school and murdering their classmates, but you rarely hear of a bully doing that himself.

Kudos to this kid for putting a douche bag in its place. Any human being who mistreats another should have a similar smack down put on them immediately. Regardless of your background, if you bully someone you both deserve and need to have your ass promptly handed to you.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Orkojoker because: add text

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It's a throwback from our evolution. Why do you think stronger animals "bully" weaker ones? It's not because they are "mean" by nature. They are the strongest, and for the species to survive, the strongest must make a stand continually, to prove they are the strongest. They get the mates, they perpetuate the species.

We are "above" that as it were, but it's not out of our DNA or our instincts. The answer isn't to passively submit and allow the bully to remain a bully (i.e. the dominant male), but to overcome him. Just like in the animal kingdom, if you overcome the dominant male, he becomes either an outcast or subservient himself.

You can't take the ridiculous stance of "he then will bring a gun to school." If he is at THAT point, he is mentally unstable to the point it really doesn't matter what anyone does. Almost anything can set the person off. Typically the bully is not the person to bring the gun to school however. IT'S THE WEAKER PERSON. They "get even" from all the bullying with a gun.

If people took more time to teach children proper response and self defense, than perhaps more bullied kids would NOT take it in their hands to exact revenge with a weapon. Chew on that for awhile.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Actually, the level of threat determines the appromiximate allowable level of defense. That is a cardinal rule when dealing with self defense.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Telling didn't work for me in elementary school, Had 2 bullies for 3 years who'd always scheme and say I was lying when ever I told a teacher and they'd fabricate stories to flip everything on me where I'd get in trouble for something I didn't do. The worst they got when they weren't able to flip the situation was detention for recess but that didn't stop anything. Straight ruined a part of my social personality and made me realize i can't rely on teachers for bully help. Also showed me how teachers are easily swayed into believing the side that has more than 1 student telling the same story.

Then in middle school I got picked on for a couple weeks by one kid and I told on him a few times but it only infuriated him into being more aggressive with his bullying. So one day I called him out to fight me at the park across the school and after i beat the hell out of him, he stopped picking on me. I didn't have any bullies through out middles school after that, got rid of the problem at the start physically before it could prolonged into a situation like elementary school again.

Just thought I'd share my two cents on how telling a teacher has never been efficient with the type of bullies I've had. At least you was fortunate enough to have a softcore bully that gave up after telling a teacher.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Actually, the level of threat determines the appromiximate allowable level of defense. That is a cardinal rule when dealing with self defense.

Depends on what self defense you practice.

For some, any actions like that would result in instant retaliation, with the intent to utterly remove the threat. Some self defense is a lot less defensive than others.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I believe that anyone threatened with physical harm, especially schoolyard bullying, has the right and should defend themselves in kind without hesitation.

With that said, taking a 12 year old who is obviously passive by nature, sending him to karate camp for a week and then encouraging the kid to engage in fisticuffs with another boy who is aggressive by nature is ignorant and begging for the first boy to wind up the only child in his 7th grade class with a denture plate.

I don't care if you sent the kid to hell week with the navy SEALS, there is nothing anybody is going to learn in 7 days besides a false sense of confidence.

Its a nice story with the kid knocking his tormentor down and winning the day but the truth is any other time the bigger kid and his friends are going to mob the boy and kick his teeth in.

Absolutely teach the kid to stand up for himself and send him to martial arts class or jr. golden gloves. After he's been training 3 times a week for 6 or 8 months and has the chance to develop some skill and muscle memory then turn him loose against his tormentor.

I'm happy that in this case it worked out but honestly, this story should be taken example of what not to do.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Telling the teacher always works - FALSE.

Defending yourself always works - FACT. Even if you get the crap beat out of you, you walk away knowing AT LEAST you fought for your right to walk in peace.

That works.

and remember: Self defense is NOT violence. Self defense is the ANTI-violence. Self defense was created BECAUSE of violence.

edit on 26-8-2011 by FurthestStar because: I changed one of the sentences. (the world continues to turn)

edit on 26-8-2011 by FurthestStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Some of the people making comments in this thread don't know what they are talking about.
I was at work and this really big dude ( over 6'8'' ) was picking on everyone, the jerk started to kick mud in my direction like he was 8 year old, I simply told him someone was about to get their arse kicked, I ddn't say who's, arse was going to get kicked, but he got the ideal. He didn't kick anymore mud in my direction.
This guy should of had his ass kicked a few times when he was younger.

As to going to the ground you do what you have to do, and most time they don't let you kill the guy, in a ring or cage fight.

And what bull go and tell the teacher, do you do this before or after the bullie kicks your nuts up to your adams apple.
edit on 26-8-2011 by googolplex because: space I needed space

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Best practical advice I got and followed .......

I went to boarding school at the age of 9. I was targeted by a bully and his mates aged 15. Used to just go right up to me and smack my head against a wall. There was no way of stopping him.

My prefect caught me crying my eyes out in my dorm ( he seemed much older and wise but was only 13 ) He told me next time it happened , grab a "equalizer" and start swinging till he goes down or runs away. He explained an equalizer was anything not nailed down ( obviously not a brick or hammer etc... ) .

It happened next time in the food hall line. So I grabbed a food tray and started swinging away. It was still wet and heavy. Hit him edge on a number of times, once right in the mouth. Blood everywhere.

Was dragged off to the House Masters office and told to stay put while my parents were called. They got in the car and left straight away ( they lived 3 hrs drive away ).

Anyway, parents were called into the office with me. Where I was expecting to be ranted and raved at and maybe expelled. But instead my Dad just walked up to the House Master ( old school ex-cop so was a big unit , was a Funeral Director by this stage ) and simply said " if you don't do a better job protecting my son, you will be next "

It stopped that day.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

martial arts are all about using your attackers strength against them ,
pushing someone to the ground for punching them or throwing a bottle at them is a fair response , your not really hurting them as such , just letting them know you should not be messed with !

the kid is hardly going to come to school and blow them away with an uzi !

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Ha, that's excellent. Jiu Jitsu is perfect for a one on one situation, but if you get jumped on concrete you do NOT want to be grappling around on the street trying to pull off a kneebar while like six dudes stomp your head in. That's why I like that your friend let you in on how to "equalize" the situation. Of all the "grapple" based martial arts I think the most effective is Judo. It's point is to have your opponent fly onto their head very hard, not everybody is gonna wristlock left and right to subdue enemy combatants, ya know?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iam2011
reply to post by thedeadtruth

Ha, that's excellent. Jiu Jitsu is perfect for a one on one situation, but if you get jumped on concrete you do NOT want to be grappling around on the street trying to pull off a kneebar while like six dudes stomp your head in. That's why I like that your friend let you in on how to "equalize" the situation. Of all the "grapple" based martial arts I think the most effective is Judo. It's point is to have your opponent fly onto their head very hard, not everybody is gonna wristlock left and right to subdue enemy combatants, ya know?

No. Jiu Jitsu has the same throws as Judo, so the arguement is silly. When a fight involves more than 1 attacker, there is only so much you can do, and Jiu Jitsu does address the issue of combatives against multiple attackers, and this does not involve knee bars......

edit on 26-8-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Nice story and story is what I suspect it truly is as halfway down the source it tries to sell a DVD..

But lets bring the story up to 'today', as a kid I was thin and short so in school I was the target of the bullies, even then the mob mentality was strong so it wasn't 'a' bully, it was 2 or 3. Fastforward to today and the reality is that a group would bully you and the much praised 'one on one' would never happen.

Sorry the story is sickly sweet, small boy overcomes big bully, fights, gets away with it and bully apologises in front of every one.

In my schools, if you fought then all involved got canned or detention, fighting was not allowed, full stop.

These days if you stand up to a bully or a thug the chances are all his mates will wade in, so lets hope Bruce Lee or whatever fighting style you know is in tip top condition. How do I know, well I've grown since I was a kid and I'm able to hold my own as they say, the thugs around here hunt in packs, the person to be bullied is singled out, surrounded and then beaten to a pulp.

As for the calling for protection from the school, ha ha, these days you are more on your own than ever, the teachers are afraid of getting involved in case they get sued by the bullies for touching them. Most teaching staff are terrified of the older pupils as they know may carry weapons and will attack them out side of the school area.

While I applaud the idea of a non violent approach I'm afraid to say that in today's lawless and moral free world you are on your own and if you can make a stand that is all you have, no one will magically rescue you and contain the violent attackers, they are free to roam the streets.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
This is a great story all round really. I was also a victim of bullying and wish I had taken an opportunity like this to stand up for myself - instead I chose mainly to suffer in silence.

To people saying to tell the teachers - doesn't usually work. I know in my experience I told teachers about the bullying and all that happened was I got bullied worse the next day after they spoke to the kid about it.

In this case it seems the boy didn't lose his cool and punch into the bully which he easily could have. Instead he just restrained him enough to make the point and got an apology for it.

The part I am most impressed by is the school's response. Once again in my experience, retaliating against the bullies only got me into trouble as well as they would lie through their teeth when asked about it by the principal. Grats to them for seeing that this wasn't an unwarrented response from the boy.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

I think I'm going to 'coin' a new fallacy and call it the "impossible odds" fallacy.

When arguing with someone, simply use the "impossible odds" fallacy to discredit them. It works like this: say you are having a discussion about self defense. If someone posts something about a viable form of self defense that has application for one on one combat, backed by real world situations, science, and logic, simply ask them if it will work against a large group of people. If it does, then ask them if it works against a weapon. If that fails, simply ask if it would work against an army. If you're still not getting anywhere, ask if it would work against an army of UFO's. Eventually you will win the arguement.

"Impossible odds" fallacy, works everytime.

edit on 26-8-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
What a load of c**p! When I was 11, I was a fairly little and kind boy and I too was object of a bully's attentions because I was very clever at school and this thing made him mad. That idiot was praticing martial arts himself so Brazilian JJ (or Chuck Norris jump spin back kick) was NOT an option for me. Someday he used one of his tecniques punching my left eye with his knee. As a result I went in hospital... I recovered after a couple of days. What happened to him? He was: 1) expelled from the school for three months, 2) lost the year and 3) reported to the police. No other idiot nor him bothered me again. We're so proud to be an "advanced civilization", well we've laws and rules and we should use them. Violence brings violence and Martin was VERY lucky: next time he could face a gun instead of a bottle of water.
edit on 26-8-2011 by Emanuele_C because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

In my school you got canned ( or sometimes the sand-shoe ) and detention for having dirty finger nails.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join