It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Year Old Uses Techniques From Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Training Camp To Stop Bully

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Four days into the school year and Martin was getting bullied again. He'd asked the bigger, stronger boy to stop calling him names and throwing a water bottle at him. But the abuse continued.

Rener called and delivered a pep talk. "Martin, would you rather fight one time and be protected for the rest of your life, or do you want to get bullied for the rest of your life?"

Martin sighed. "I'd rather fight once."

"Do it, my friend," Rener said. "The bully still thinks he owns you. Tomorrow he will do the same thing. And when he does, you will engage. You don't ask permission, you don't stop, you just engage."

The next day the bully not only bothered Martin, but he pestered Martin's friend so much that the boy shook his head and said he might commit suicide. The bully then asked Martin if he could practice some new punching techniques on him, and hit him. Then he threw a water bottle at him.

Everything Martin had learned during his week at the Gracie Academy bubbled to the surface. He jumped off the lunch bench and while in midair pushed the bully in the chest with both hands as hard as he could. Both boys landed on the ground and Martin pinned the bully by placing his knee on his chest and holding his arms down with his own.

It was a classic jiu-jitsu combination -- decisive and effective without causing trauma or blood.

The bully was shocked and as he struggled in vain to get up he yelled that Martin was crazy. The bully's friends told Martin to get up, but as he told the principal later: "I chose not to."

The principal took both boys into his office and called Wendy.

"I was absolutely thrilled," she said. "The school, of course, thought I was nuts. But I explained that this was a long time coming for Martin. He's still that kind kid. He stuck up for himself and for his friend.

On Monday the principal called Martin into the office and let him know he wasn't in trouble. Fighting was not tolerated, he was told, but in this instance the response was appropriate. Neither Martin nor his mother told the school about his jiu-jitsu training.

The bully sought out Martin at lunch and apologized in front of other kids. Word got around the school. No longer is Martin the target of bullying -- from anybody.

(Source)

As an avid practicioner of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I know how effective it can be in real world scenarios like these. The main reason it's so effective is because it focuses on harnessing leverage and technique over strength and speed. It also takes into account the logical phases of combat, which will 90% of the time go to the ground.

It's also important to note that it may not require any strikes to be used to subdue your attacker, usually only takedowns, grappling, sweeping, positions, and submissions. And of course defensive techniques to neutralize attacks.

In any case, score one for the little guys. Brains > Brawn.

edit on 24-8-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Fantastic story! As former martial arts practitioner/Boxer I'm still interested in anything related and from a personal sense as a smaller chap I feel for the kid being bullied, just goes to show that when used correctly martial arts really do work.

Also, kudos goes to the school for having the common sense not to punish the bullied lad for actually sticking up for himself.

Nice one, S&F

edit on 24/8/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What's the kid gonna do when the bully brings a gun to schools and slaughters him and many others?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by josh2009s
What's the kid gonna do when the bully brings a gun to schools and slaughters him and many others?

Come on, the thread isn't about that is it?.....

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

It's in "Social Issues and Civil Unrest," so basically. Violence is no way to combat violence. The bully is probably a bully because he was exposed to violence in his youth. People need to get there mind out of the gutters with this violence crap. This is the reason we have wars.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

It's in "Social Issues and Civil Unrest," so basically. Violence is no way to combat violence. The bully is probably a bully because he was exposed to violence in his youth. People need to get there mind out of the gutters with this violence crap. This is the reason we have wars.

Self defence isn't violence, just how exactly should the poor lad has responded? Continued to be physically abused and had the piss taken out of him? or should his parents have gone into the school and "sorted" the matter?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

He should have told the school faculty like any normal kid would do.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

You people. [sigh]. I'll play along. A person is the subject of violence for extended periods of time and the violence against them is condoned or ignored by the authorities. The next logical responce is what then? People like you are why millions die at the hands of a few.
edit on 8/24/2011 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

"Violent" technique works and ends violence.
- violence is no way to combat violence.

Bullies aren't normal people, they are predators seeking prey regardless of the cause of their being a bully.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Violence is no way to combat violence.

True. Much better to try diplomacy while they're kicking the crap out of you...

In real life, violence is the only way to combat violence. Reason might work before the violence actually begins, but once it does, violence is your only real option, other than getting beat down or killed.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Did you go to school?

You don't think anyone has the right to defend themselves?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

That doesn't work from experience with our school. The schools are run like prison systems - as long as the teachers or principals are not harmed anything goes. We have kids having sex in class in front of teachers. In one of my classes the wall was sprayed with an ignition fluid and set on fire while the teacher wrote on the chalkboard and she never turned around as the wall burned and never took any action when she did see it,

Next?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Are you going to run and call the police when you have an intruder in your home with you?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I might add that in more than 50% of the cases where the principals do take action the kid being BEATEN is punished equally with the bully. The schools around here have a ZERO tolerance [aka. we're too stupid and lazy to think for ourselves] policy which means all parties are punished equally. I imagine you're one of these zero tolerance principals that thinks that the kid getting beat up should have been responsible enough to disengage and run to the office and by failing to throw off the bully and do so is equally at fault?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

If an intruder were throwing water bottles at myself, I would simply laugh.
edit on 24-8-2011 by josh2009s because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by josh2009s

This one fight was the best thing to happen to this bully. When you humble someone like that they are forced to see themselves for what they are and have a chance to make a change for the good. And the fight prevented more kids from being bullied by this guy. And for once teh school got it right and chose not to make a national incident out of 2 kids fighting.

I 100% agree with how it all played out and i think one day that bully will thank this kid.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Did I go to school? Are you serious? If you truly are, then, yes. I don't recall but a few incidences where classmates were being bullied. And, if it did happen, it didn't happen for long because where I grew up, the children have enough common sense to tell a teacher what is going on.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

If an intruder were throwing water bottles at myself I would simply laugh.

I assume by side stepping the question you acquiesce and admit that your logic is completely wrong?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Did I go to school? Are you serious? If you truly are, then, yes. I don't recall but a few incidences where classmates were being bullied. And, if it did happen, it didn't happen for long because where I grew up, the children have enough common sense to tell a teacher what is going on.

I think you lack the life experience to comment on this thread then. You might have grown up in a private school or whatever but this attitude fails to pass the mustard test in the rest of our country.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I have been on the recieving end of bullying, and trust me. The faculty is useless in my eyes. They do nothing. I was bullied relentlessly by so many people, no matter how many times me and my parents went to the faculty. It never ever stopped. I was at the point of ending my own life(i was 13 or 14 at the time), and my parents had no choice but to move, for my well being.

I thank them for it all the time, i dont regret what happened anymore, as i am who i am today because of that. But if i had my time back i wish i had reacted like this kid did, and saved myself the emotional distressed that screwed my mind up for the years that followed.

I am no longer that boy, i am no long tramatized by it. But good on the boy, the faculties are usless in this regard because they have NO control over what happens outside the school walls. Nor in them. Because it usually will keep happening.

If the faculty did their job, we wouldnt be hearing about bullies at all. Kids wouldn't be killing themselves because there would be no bullies.

No one dare bully me now (an adult), and anyone who tries is getting teeth knocked out. I am no longer afraid.
edit on 24/8/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join