It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Odd job posting on Craigslist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have been unemployed for some time and am still scouring the internet for a potential job. I was on Craigslist today and this is the posting I saw:

Need Millwrights for upcoming outages in Steel plants in the area. You MUST have a min of 7 years experience and reliable transportation. There will be a need for Precision Millwrights as well as General Millwrights. Please submit a resume to be considered. These jobs are 12 hr shifts and a drug screen is required before working.

jacksontn.craigslist.org...

The wording of it is really odd to me. Need Millwrights for upcoming outages in steel plants in the area, and it is listed for the Memphis area.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Take the job and get the inside skinny?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
As a millwright,Ican tell you that type of outage is perfectly normal,retool and maintainace is what we do,nothing out of the ordinary

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

I'm not qualified for the position, I am a Telecom Tech. Did Telecom in Air Force and Bellsouth and the FTI project for the FAA. No idea what a millwright even is.
Guessing some kind of welding position.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

It probably means that they are expecting an outage in labors as there will be multiple leave due to Retirement or other kind of leave i'm assuming.

In Canada (Quebec more precisely) there's job posting to work for The electric company (Hydro Quebec) and states exactly that they will be iring due to multiple staff leaves.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Christian Voice
reply to post by larphillips

I'm not qualified for the position, I am a Telecom Tech. Did Telecom in Air Force and Bellsouth and the FTI project for the FAA. No idea what a millwright even is.
Guessing some kind of welding position.

Don't know what part of the world you're in, but I know that Black & Veatch is hiring all the time for their AT&T and Sprint turfing projects. In fact, the Ohio / Western PA turf is hiring like crazy... both B&V as the turnkey as well as all the various subs working the market. That turf is building and launching LTE all through 2012 and it's going to be madness as they rush to launch.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Okay........it sounds weird. I don't know about that one.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I used to do repairs during heavy industry and power plant outages. They are planned outages to do system wide work and maintenance. Many plants only shut down on holidays like Christmas. I used to get paid $250/hr to work the outages, because most people want to be with family during those times. Most plants run 24/7 throughout the year and only have shutdowns to fix equipment, replace equipment, and work on things that can only be worked on during a complete shutdown or outage of the plant. Nothing strange, maybe just worded odd

Just do a search for plant outage jobs...
edit on 24/8/11 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Christian Voice

Have you checked the FAA job listings? You only need general experience for some of the jobs, meaning they will train you like the Air Force did. Here's a link and hang in there. FAA JOBS

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Alot of those jobs on Craigslist are scams. They try to get you to send your resume and other personal information so they can steal your identity.

NEVER send your resume or any other personal information to any anonymous Craigslist email address, or any web email address like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, etc. If a company wants to hire off of the internet, they will use their company email address.

Keeping the above in mind, will reduce your risk of being scammed or having your identity stolen. Craigslist should also have a similar warning up before you click on any job type anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
That particular posting sounded like either a recruiting office looking to make a pool of potential employees to offer various businesses and contractors when they get an opening, or a scam.

Mill shutdowns are very common. The last one I worked back in 2010 was for 3 weeks installing new equipment in a lumber mill in Morton, Washington. It paid $33/hour + $150/day per diem.

It is good work. But I wouldn't trust this advertisement. It doesn't sound legit.

new topics

top topics

join