It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Economic inequality is linked to biased self-perception

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Economic inequality is linked to biased self-perception

medicalxpress.com

Pretty much everybody thinks they’re better than average. But in some cultures, people are more self-aggrandizing than in others. Until now, national differences in “self-enhancement” have been chalked up to an East-West individualism-versus-collectivism divide. In the West, where people value independence, personal success, and uniqueness, psychologists have said, self-inflation is more rampant. In the East, where interdependence, harmony, and belonging are valued, modesty prevails.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I found this article very interesting.... it would seem that the concept and effect of "inequality" is not so straightforward as some think.

Virtually everywhere, people rate themselves above average. But the more economically unequal the country, the greater was its participants’ self-enhancement.

The idea of "self-enhancement" is new to me. Although we call it ego, or D-ego around here, we know that people are often moved to describe themselves, and perhaps feel themselves to be 'above average' in some, or many regards; I didn't really expect such self-perception to be a realistic contributing factor to those social effects which create a sense of overall inequality in the world.

...other research suggests that competition, especially in winner-take-all situations, makes standing out important and this undermines modesty and encourages its opposite. That’s what happens in “highly polarized economies, where wealth at the top is gross and deprivation at the bottom is stark,” says Loughnan. But the effect can be evinced experimentally even in egalitarian, self-effacing cultures, like Japan. On the other hand, where resources are equally distributed, self-deprecation and blending in are more valued.

Go figure... not only do "nice guys finish last" but those who express humility as an aspect of their character are, in some cultures, at an immediate social disadvantage when faced with those who feel themselves superior.... I guess it is common sense that this would be the case... but I thought that humility was a virtue... not a flaw. Apparently, humility can be a virtue, as long as there are no elitists around to use it against you somehow.

Economic policymakers should also take note. “We’re living through a time of considerable economic reform in Western countries,” he says. “The nature of that reform will have a big impact on people’s personal and social wellbeing.” Reform, then, “is not just about making the society richer, but how you distribute those riches.”

Uh oh, I can hear the political garbage coming down the chute.... can you?

medicalxpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well I am from the West, so acc. to this article I'd be biased, but are we supposed to just accept things as they are or are we supposed to try to advance and excel? There may be more income equality (ie. everyone's poor) on the other side of the equation but it sounds pretty awful to me. Collectivism is a truly disgusting concept, at least IMO. Good for bees and ants. Not people.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I think we are all biased. That's natural. But the idea that my bias has something to do with inequality can only apply to what I do or don't do directly. On the other hand, in an economically skewed world, that bias can translate into other more troubling things....

A good example would be how every single policy maker and legislator in my country is immensely more wealthy than 80% of the constituency... it seems likely that their bias would be reflected in the policies and laws they make... thus affecting those they consider 'lesser' people in a negative way... and affecting those they consider 'superior' in a more positive way. Especially considering that they are marketed to us for their bias... assuming that 'popular' bias is good and 'unpopular' bias is bad (which may not necessarily be true.)
edit on 24-8-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Now an analysis of data gathered from 1,625 people in 15 culturally diverse countries

The study’s participants, university students

Anyone else have problems with this methodology? 108 people in 15 countries and even among them limited to one social group that may very well reflect different sections of their respective societies? It really doesn’t sound very reliable to me.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Good catch. That is what one might call "Agenda Driven methodology"

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I starred and flagged this post a while back, it should have gotten more attention than what it did, all that it has gotten has been negative.
Why wouldn't individuals caught up in a cutthroat society not become more cutthroat themselves?
Some people seem to buy into the illusion that we're dealing with a level playing field, money is power and power has the ability to entrench itself, henceforth we have things like monarchies, aristocracies, and oligarchies.
The oligarchy lets us fight over the crumbs that fall from their overstocked tables, it's no wonder that things like basic human decency are becoming relics of a long gone era.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Learn some history, my friend. If you find anything close to "basic human decency", give me a ring....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
As long as people want to fool themselves into thinking they are superior, there will always be inequality. And in that there will be the strong asserting themselves over the weak. Economically, or physically.

nuff said

The more the west idolizes shows of power, wealth, or fame, the continuity of inequality will reign.

The scary part is being a nice person, is all in your mind according to what your society feels is acceptable.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Look at a national geographic special about baboons. It will give you insight into humanity. We are primates with higher powered weapons. If you think we are anything other, you are officially religious.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by louieprima

Yeah... Humans are to primates, what orchids are to flowers....

Same thing, but with a higher rate of adaptability

new topics

top topics

join