It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 in Peru

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Ring around the rosie...er, Ring around the Ring-of-fire...
Pocket full of...oh crap.

Earthquake Details

* This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time

* Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 17:46:11 UTC
* Wednesday, August 24, 2011 at 12:46:11 PM at epicenter

Location 7.644°S, 74.506°W
Depth 145.1 km (90.2 miles)
Region NORTHERN PERU
Distances

* 82 km (51 miles) N (2°) from Pucallpa, Peru
* 205 km (127 miles) W (271°) from Cruzeiro do Sul, Brazil
* 313 km (194 miles) NE (36°) from Huanuco, Peru
* 568 km (353 miles) NNE (30°) from LIMA, Peru

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 18.2 km (11.3 miles); depth +/- 12 km (7.5 miles)
Parameters NST=200, Nph=200, Dmin=544.4 km, Rmss=0.89 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source

* Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005j3l

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yep another big quake and maybe just the beginning of what might come our way.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I fell into a burning Ring of Fire, it went down down down and the flames, got higher, yes it BURNS BURNS BURNS, the Ring of Fire, the Ring of Fire.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
mayan 5th night of destruction, 27-28 will be midpoint - 5th night of the last cycle is supposed to be a doogie howzer, if it isnt then i will proceed to party in party city like its everybodies business. did i mention this is all Callemans fault?
edit on 24-8-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: turned auto correct off on my iphone-needless to say its been chaotic

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Wonder if those in Peru will be evacuating offices in the capital city, closing down airports and whatever else similar to the yanks did yesterday to show the world how easily spooked they are. I'm guessing however its back to business as normal, maybe a few masonry tiles down, but no HAARPtards to whinge about it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
At that depth is this one really that serious?

link   
yeah it was a 6.8, but it was also at a depth of 145 km. that's pretty deep. if it was felt on the surface it was probably very minor. you have to remember to look at the depth of the quake as well as the magnitude. a 6.8 EQ at 145 Km is WAY different than a 6.8 EQ at 3 Km.

link   
reply to post by RUDDD

hey guy for your info the infrastructure of the east coat wasnt built to handle big shallow tremors, oh and show me an entire city of skyscrapers in Peru....as for washington all the gold they stashed in the roof of the pentagon and congress had everybody a little on edge. shh dont tell anybody
edit on 24-8-2011 by POPtheKlEEN89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

I doubt it is all that serious in terms of damage and such...it just shows that there is a lot of shaking going on under our feet lately!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, RUDDD, in all fairness, East Coasters aren't used to the ground shaking under their feet. I used to live in California and the kids & I were just, huh, earthquake. Soccer practice that night was lots of folks from Gettysburg College talking about the buildings shaking and evacuating. I thought it was cute until I remembered that the oldest building on campus is from 1838 and everything is made of BRICK. Good reason to get out.

I was pretty surprised that a 5.9 would show up where it did.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Earth is shaking her body again.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by POPtheKlEEN89

Really?

The Mayan Timekeepers don't agree with you...

Calleman's theory is just that... a theory, and no Mayan will tell you that he's right. They haven't adjusted their clocks.

And they've made it very clear that 2012 is NOT the end of the world.... that is a Western concept and wrong at that.

We are not in the Mayan 5th night yet and are still in the period of "Ethics" if you want to go by Calleman's understanding of the Mayan time cycles.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Now that`s a big one but as mentioned pretty deep.
Seems to have actually let off some over at Japan recently.
This site actually had none showing for a while and now has a 5 showing. Hope this isn`t building up for a larger one for them there.

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

certainly a bunch of movement going on as we advance towards the debunked theories of doom. So glad they all have been debunked by the pro debunkers.

so it`s all normal but the internet is new so we just know it happens now.
whatever

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
looking forward to see some seismic expert on ATS actually show mother Earth is experience atypically high activity this year already!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
USGS Shows it as a 7.0 now. earthquake.usgs.gov...
MAG UTC DATE-TIME y/m/d h:m:s LATdeg LONdeg DEPTHkm Region

MAP 7.0 2011/08/24 17:46:12 -7.644 -74.506 145.1 NORTHERN PERU

edit on 24/8/11 by spirit_horse because: clean up

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Something maybe to take notice of was the timing of this quake compared to the quake in Virginia yesterday. It's almost exactly 24 hrs later. I think it's only 5 minutes shy of 24 hrs. This makes me think something is putting external force upon the earth. Similar times and similar latitudes (37), could be nothing more than coincidence, but it seems to be really kicking into high gear. Time will tell, until then fasten your seat belt, this could turn into one hell of a rough ride.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
looking forward to see some seismic expert on ATS actually show mother Earth is experience atypically high activity this year already!

Don't hold your breath.
They will never admit it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
huh why not?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I also find the fabricated stuff about the Mayans to be over the top. The actual Mayans of course do not, did not believe any of the nonsense attributed to them. Sitchen set a standard for hoaxers out to earn a living through deception. I think at first he was for real and his need for money turned him. Probably the same is true to explain where the fake Mayan stuff comes from. That and even more sadly those that use it for attention.

A few months ago I had a documentary going in the background while working at home on the computer. A show came on about a family that had destroyed their and their children's lives for the most part due to the lies about the Mayans. Their entire lives revolved around 2012 and to be honest they were as looney a pair of parents as I've ever seen. The show even brought in a real Mayan Scholar who was himself Mayan to try and clear their heads of the lies. I'm not sure what the end of the show entailed or what the outcome was, but I did catch the part where the Mayan gentlemen tried to give them the truth.

I wonder how many lives are negatively impacted by these false claims and fear mongering. Children's lives ruined by fanatical scared parents? That family on that show was probably the tip of the iceberg. I'm still waiting to see how many suicides will come as a direct result of the Mayan and 2012 fantasies. The things we do to ourselves is amazing and often sick. So many have gone all in betting these myths are true. The Post Trauma will be staggering for many of those taken in by this stuff. The repercussions when 2012 passes by and the lies are revealed cannot be good. Already fragile people will not react well.

The fakers and liars who invented this stuff will just invent a new date and continue on with the charade.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join