It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

listen to a star

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a record of the vibrations cooming from Eta Bootis

eta bootis

strange

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSide
a record of the vibrations cooming from Eta Bootis

eta bootis

strange

Hi DS!!

Good find - and very strange, as you say!! The bell-like ringing was quite magical, in fact - a real example of the music of the spheres indeed!

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Wow! Nice find...

They say on the site about this file:

quoted from www.astro.ubc.ca...
The strongest eight acoustic frequencies detected by MOST in eta Bootis, scaled up a few octaves.

I wonder what our sun is singing??

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 02:17 AM
link   
another interesting site is www.spacesounds.com...

some of these things are just creepy sounding. it's awesome

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Maybe it's sort of like whale singing. The stars are communicating [with one another?]. Joking sort of.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Maybe it's sort of like whale singing. The stars are communicating [with one another?]. Joking sort of.

there's this old science fiction story, Rouge Star, by Frederick Pohl and Jack Williamson, in which some stars are sentient. it's pretty good.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a friend of mine said in the bible it says how the Sun's all sing to each other

just thought i'd mention it

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

I would love to know where that is at in the Bible...seriously...

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
When I listened to that sound also, I thought about the possibility to use that sound as a sample for an electronic music instrument. By modulating the frequency it could produce beautiful sounds... I'm not into that really, but if anyone wants to try that I'll be more than happy to know their feelgins!

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

just thought i'd mention it

I heard that too

I'll try to find it

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
i found it

Job 38:7

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Beautiful. What is the scientific explanation for that sound?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Well actually, it is not a sound as such. But as you probably know, sound itself is a vibration, and the stars vibrate. Those star vibrations were detected and recorded, and the resulting vibe as been shift a few octaves to the high, to render that vibration audible. On its original frequency, it is what is called infrasound, as opposed to ultrasound, which vibrates too high to be audible.

I believe that cdrkeenkid could give you more details on what the vibration of the star is as such, but I believe it is actually the light pulse variations of the star that are recorded. Light also is a "vibration" (it is a wave, but I should maybe have called vibration "waves" before, it is basically not different), and the difference in the light intensity and color are measured. Those color differences are actually a difference of frequency.

It is a very small difference. According to the MOST site where that recording comes from, it is about equivalent to the difference you would notice when the distance between your eye and a light source situated 1 km away, would vary of 0.5mm!

Hope it helps...

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince
Well actually, it is not a sound as such. But as you probably know, sound itself is a vibration, and the stars vibrate. Those star vibrations were detected and recorded, and the resulting vibe as been shift a few octaves to the high, to render that vibration audible. On its original frequency, it is what is called infrasound, as opposed to ultrasound, which vibrates too high to be audible.

Indeed. All atoms vibrate as its electrons orbit its nucleus; and groups of atoms together as solids, liquids, gases, or plasma all vibrate in unison. So, everything made up of atoms gives off its own natural vibration -- not just stars, but planets, moons, mountains, oceans, and even us!

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Beautiful. Very peaceful sounding.

new topics

top topics

join