It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Confiscate Cameras at Ohio Congressman's Town Hall

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It's not hard to see what is transpiring here. The news cameras can be edited to propagandize and slant what was said in the meeting. Citizens recording show what was actually said and done.

"Truth is treason in an empire of Lies" notice what party the Congressman belonged to?

Don't you find it ironic that the GOP/TPM that wants to return to the Constitution also wants to deny citizens their first amendment rights? Or at least S. Cabot does. I wonder what he wants to hide?

Every citizen should be allowed to film and document any and everything that happens in their world. Citizen journalist, filmmakers, documentarians, are a good way to rid this country of corruption and crime and brutality.

Be discrete but record/video your world.....WE WANT TO SEE IT and technology has made it possible...open a youtube account or vimeo....don't let the scum bags hide. Get a small video device and use it...there is strength in numbers.
edit on 24-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 4r4

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
It's not hard to see what is transpiring here. The news cameras can be edited to propagandize and slant what was said in the meeting. Citizens recording show what was actually said and done.

I was just going to come here and say this....

The reasons for taking away camera's are so obvious. Let the 'Press' film it all, so that when it's manipulated later on by their overlords, no one else will have any evidence to prove anything.

Sure does make a lot of sense why this is going on more and more. Go ahead and use the excuse that 'it could be for their protection'. Haha. They will just laugh at you and grab your camera. They aren't worried about anyone except for YOU.

Why I dislike most cops? Not because they are ass holes - most of them are actually pretty decent. The reason is that they will do ANYTHING they are told to do, even when that means using the Constitution as a welcome mat, all so that they can have complete control of any situation that should arise.

At what point will cops realize there is a line? Seems to become more and more opaque every day.

edit on 8/24/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I would have like to see him try and take MY camera away. I can't believe those people just sat there and let their rights be trampled on like that. They should sue Chabot and the police department for violating their Constitutional rights.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

i agree whole hearted with that, "okay cop, lets see if you CAN? take my camera since I am breaking no law here."
Even dangle it out there for him, then snatch it back when he goes for it. LOL This is so BS. Police State crap, everywhere you look. I hope to god Sep. 17 produces a day of rage in this country like we have never seen before. I'm ready, and willing to stand up for my rights to whichever cop, or gov. goon wants to infringe on them. (IN SPADES) This is getting real old seeing innocent people have their rights abused constantly, while people like to act like wild animals in the streets harassing other innocents, and nothing happens to them.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Wow, I am blown away, and I live in Ohio. *Steamed and need to Vent*

First of all, it is a Public event. Hosted by an Elected official.

I'll attack this travesty logically.

First, a Peace Officer was collecting the cameras. As a US citizen, you have every right to ask any Peace Officer under which Code is he acting under, and can he recite the Ordinance which allows him to take away a peaceful citizen's Property. If he cannot do that, then he not eligible to uphold his oath. He would therefore be impersonating a Peace Officer, which is a valid crime, and would be charged accordingly.

"It's what I was told to do", simply doesn't float. As a Peace Officer taking a solemn oath to protect and serve, he needs to be able to back up his actions with a viable law. He should have memorized the section of that particular counties Code that says no filming of Public events. I'll bet there isn't one. But if he Was able to recite (for example, ORC section 1294.10, (a make believe section) which states, any filming of a Public event can only be done by a member of a registered press corporation, anyone else is prohibited) a Code, then the Public would and must obey the law. As a Peace Officer, without explaining the reason for his actions, with a viable section from the ORC, is simply violating his oath of office, and is due criminal charges. This was a peaceful Public event, and not a crime scene.

Secondly, every Citizen in that room should've protested. They would've been arrested. Yep, but what would the charges be?

Let's see, they get arrested, go to jail, and then they get (arraigned) charged with a crime. They would be arraigned the next day. Before the Magistrate or Judge, he/she would state the crime you are charged with.

Hhhm, disturbing the Peace? You were peaceful before the Peace Officer took your camera, your personal property. Before your Rights were violated. Violation of Rights is a cause for protest, not a charge in court.

How about non-compliance with a Peace Officer? As stated above, if a Peace Officer is violating his/her Oath of office, he/she is acting as an impersonator of a Public office. How can you comply with someone who is violating their Oath to protect and serve? They become an image of a person that is supposed to represent a viable role, and instead of protecting and serving the Citizens, they become party to their own self-inflated ego, trying to circumvent the law. In court, the law becomes clear, and the prosecutor and judge would be slapping both hands against the cheeks of their a** to come up with a charge that would stick. He had no Lawful grounds by which to act upon, other than the wishes of the congressman to not be recorded by the Public. That request is NOT a Law. He had no basis to confiscate the cameras, and at that point became a party outside his oath, an impersonator, acting outside any known law.

Personally, I would've stood up, and said in the LOUDEST voice possible, "You may NOT have my camera, sir! I am exercising my Rights in a Public forum, and I do NOT consent to you taking my personal Property."

Loud enough to get the droning Congressman to stop his droning.

Sure, I'd be arrested, but the case would be dismissed, and I'd be naming that Congressman as a Defendant in my counter-claim. I was injured by their violation of my Rights.

Until people realize they have the ability to stand up against travesties of Justice, they will continue to be walked upon. Again, IN COURT, THE LAW BECOMES CLEAR. Know your rights. Don't be fooled.

That was illegal as HE double toothpicks, but noone did anything otherwise.

Sad.

I'm fuming.

Therefore, you have Every Right

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JennaDarling
America..

Yup, we're all so jealous of your way of life.

Outstanding contribution there. Very deep thinking.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
That is a shame, just a shame.

What happened to freedom of the press in this country? Why is it that now in this day and age of the internet, that the police have to silence the 1st Amendment rights of people?

I usually can support the police. I don't have a hatred of cops, but I can't defend this or tolerate it.

Sorry, in my opinion the cops were way wrong on this one.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Oh yes, now we need a license to film public events. What's next? A license to walk down the sidewalk?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by ararisq

Oh yes, now we need a license to film public events. What's next? A license to walk down the sidewalk?

No, a national ID card with RFID chip containing your name, address, birth date, medical records, employer, the make and model of your car, etc. I had a conversation with someone about the possibility of this and their response was that it would be "really convenient". God help the Divided Sheeple of America.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Now you know why I don't trust or believe in anything the pro-govt shills say.

They just want to control us and dictate how we are suppose to live our lives.

Well I'd rather die than live as a slave.

These totalitarians should go to prison for treason against the United States Constitution.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
reply to post by ararisq

No, a national ID card with RFID chip containing your name, address, birth date, medical records, employer, the make and model of your car, etc. I had a conversation with someone about the possibility of this and their response was that it would be "really convenient". God help the Divided Sheeple of America.

It IS really convenient. For criminals.

All I need is a 90$ hand-held scanner the size of a hair blow-dryer, a laptop with the right software on it, and I can walk down the street and rip off almost every single credit card. Too easy, too convenient.

How many people put their credit cards in metallic slips to protect from being scanned without their consent? Exactly almost no one....yet.

They will after they get robbed...if they have enough change left over to buy protection.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
this is very upsetting...

notice at the very end of the video one of the speakers says to the lady she is being obnoxious and they respond were not being obnoxious our rights are being violated

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
As stated in the Declaration of Independence:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,[73] that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

Every new act the government passes strips away a little more of our freedoms. As Americans we are running out of time. Our government (I feel) is not doing its job to act with the people's best interests in mind.

The ideas that founded our country are quickly slipping past and I'm afraid no one will want to do anything until its too late.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Afaik those news cameras were live so no editing. I'm fairly sure that this doesn't have anything to do with recording. It's either pure stupidness or incompetence or some backhand deal with the news organization to give them exclusive access. Discusting anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
America the land of the free, where we enjoy constitutional rights until you exercise them, and people still think we are a free nation, Nazism tactics has been used on citizens for years, is just that now people are getting used to them.

Where is the outrage from those in that meeting, it should have been an uprising after what the gestapo police did.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I skimmed your post and nearly gave you a star and a
when I read this:

Every citizen should be allowed to film and document any and everything that happens in their world. Citizen journalist, filmmakers, documentarians, are a good way to rid this country of corruption and crime and brutality.

Be discrete but record/video your world.....WE WANT TO SEE IT and technology has made it possible...open a youtube account or vimeo....don't let the scum bags hide. Get a small video device and use it...there is strength in numbers.

But then I re-read it and saw that the same old ultra-partisan Whaaa hadn't changed even one little bit:

"Truth is treason in an empire of Lies" notice what party the Congressman belonged to?

Don't you find it ironic that the GOP/TPM that wants to return to the Constitution also wants to deny citizens their first amendment rights? Or at least S. Cabot does. I wonder what he wants to hide?

:shk:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The part that struck me was when the cop said "I've been told it's illegal" Good thing cops aren't required to know the law eh?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

To be fair, I have looked over a copy of the penal code. At least the California penal code. It has an insane amount of laws and no one, short of a genius could memorize them all, but if you are assigned a certain task (as a "peace officer") then you damn well better know the laws that are relevant. I mean, there are still laws against robbing a train while riding a horse. In my town (although it will never be enforced) we have a law that states anyone of negro or mexican heritage caught in the city limits after dark are to be hanged. The amount of laws that are "protecting" us are in fact limiting us. Just the differences of things I could do as a young child vs a young adult are insane. Why is it that if 1 person messes up it changes the rules for thousands? In this country I would believe that this scenario should spawn a huge lawsuit. Are there any lawyers in ATS? Surely if some rights have been violated then there is an example to be made of those abusing their alleged authority either publicly, or monetarily.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
OMG.

It really has progressed further than seems repairable.

God help us.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

TIP: If you must film something important, bring two memory cards; they're cheap nowadays. The SD cards that hold micro-SD memory are great because micro-SDs are smaller than your fingernail when you slip them out of the CD card adapter. You can always swap it out and hold on to the one that has what you want on it.

That's what someone did to protect their footage. (They hid the micro-SD in their mouth.) The cops thought they got it, let the person go, and then later that person released it to the world with "the footage they didn't want you to see." It was regarding some kind of border situation or being pulled over without cause.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join