It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long will ........ last?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Made this post on another forum so thought i'd continue on here where there are more people to contribute.

Tinned Food

How do you determine how long a can of food will last? Actually, it's kind of hard to guess, but here are a few guidelines when trying to determine the shelf life of your canned foods:

Low-acidic foods Surprising to some, canned meats can last the longest. Most sources say they will keep for 2 to 5 years. Some sources say they will last even longer. I found a shocking story about a can of meat that was 118 years old. It was opened, analyzed, and found to still have most of the nutrients. It was still good after more than 100 years! You may not choose to eat canned meats that are this old, but likely yours will last more than the recommended five years. Other low-acid foods are soups without tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, and peas.

High-acidic foods For best quality, use high-acidic foods within one year or so. Foods in this category are tomatoes, fruit, and foods with a lot of vinegar in them. Still, many of these canned foods will still be edible after years worth of storage, even if they are not at the peak of quality and nutrition.

preparedness.families.com...

Fuel

How long does fuel last?

This is an important question when you’ve got a car that’s rarely driven or you have fuel stored in drums. The last thing you want is a tankful of ‘off’ fuel that can damage your fuel system or possibly even kill your engine.

According to Shell Australia’s Technical Advice Centre Manager, Warren Scott, you can generally store fuel in a sealed container for around six months before it starts to deteriorate. This assumes it’s kept relatively cool and away from direct sunlight.

“But if the container is not properly sealed or it’s repeatedly opened, [fuel] will start to evaporate and you lose some of the light components in the fuel,” Mr Warren says.

Those light components include highly important butane. As these components are lost, the fuel loses its volatility. Mr Warren says this makes the car difficult to start.

In warm conditions, fuel is especially prone to oxidisation which causes lacquer and gums to form. As a result, the fuel turns dark in colour, loses its clarity and smells like paint stripper.

Gary Whitfield, Senior Fuel Chemist at BP Australia, says that in the right conditions, fuel can last up to 12 months. But once the container is opened, the fuel will start to degrade.

“Once the seal is broken, a vapour space is formed in the container and the fuel will start to deteriorate more rapidly,” he says.

autospeed.com...

Going out for a beer now, I'll continue when i'm back.
edit on 24/8/2011 by ShiftyMedi because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
food is a renewable resource if you know how to grow, manage, raise, farm it.

fuel is also renewable if yo prchase the right materials or have the right eqipment to reproduce though mass quantities are out of most peoples ability.

Hopefully it last for the rest of my life so my children can be raised back in nature and learning how to maintain and live on the land. This technology era is not only abusive to peoples survival ability, but making us more dependant on "the system" to live.

this life is nothing but slavery at the moment.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Good thread.

I have personally opened and eaten green beans canned in mason jars by my mom that were over 13 years old.
They were awesome.
Mom knows her stuff, and has been canning food since the time when it mean life or death.

I dunno about 10 year old canned meat, but those beans were great.

Food is renewable, but if you only account for 1 year, and the next year you have a drought, bad harvest, ect... you're done.
Hunting for meat is fine, untill you overhunt the area.
Learning to can food will save you momney now.. and might save your life later.

join