Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

No birds singing today - strange quiet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
too add, i just stood neer the window and it is stillll eeerily silent!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood
A lot of birds only sing as a means of defining thier territories in the breeding season

Yep, thanks I get that, but every morning for decades now, I have heard some birds chirp in the morning, except today.

And except for the 2 crickets chirping as I type.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

Crazy!
What is up??

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Is it the one near the factory at the lower end of Puget Sound? I lived there a while...very nice place, very very bird filled.

In Florida, no bird noises...just jets on their usual practice runs.
edit on 24-8-2011 by Foxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwdogg1982
The birds are chirping rather normally where I'm at, if not drowned out by the screeching of the cicadas. I think some birds might be starting to migrate already, so maybe that's why they seem quieter than normal?

Thats a relief to read that someone is hearing birds - especially considering the earthquake in your part of the country yesterday..

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Just been out for a walk to have a look. I saw one gull fly over. No starlings, no sparrows, no black birds. This place is a haven for birds at this time of the year. Also glad that someone's actually seeing and hearing them as normal

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yea,it's strange.
I haven't heard them.
Are they alive?Seriously.I haven't see any bird...Strange.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I was actually woken by a bunch of noisy annoying birds this morning...so maybe they just wanted to spend the morning at my house?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
im still perplexed not a single bird noise and now that u guys made me go looking for them, cant find any!

theres a nest near my AC where house sparrows nest faithfully each yr and it looks like the eggs have been abandoned

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
..omg why hav all the birds left??

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
We have birds, about as many as usual. Yellow finches at their feeder, sparrows, mourning doves, etc.
Pretty mush a normal day bird-wise...so far.

SE MIchigan

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeterGriffin
I was actually woken by a bunch of noisy annoying birds this morning...so maybe they just wanted to spend the morning at my house?

Did they stick around?
Which country are you in, if you can share?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

I too went outside and heard one bird chirp which is not usual. we usually have a record number of birds chirping at all at once. I live in Maine. i also took my dog outside thinking he may have to go pee. He just stood in one spot the whole time sniffing the air, he was like that yesterday too, but I don't know if I heard more birds yesterday or not? I wasn't really paying attention. I did see 3 crows though, but usually there is more around.

I have no idea what this means if anything?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Faery34majick

Well by the number of different locations reporting the same lack or absence of birds, crickets chirping when they usually don't, sounds really odd to me.

I've been sitting next to a window all morning and this quietness is getting rather disturbing. There are always birds of some sort singing most of the day, especially the mornings.
Except today.

Thanks to all for posting what they have heard, or have not heard.
Definitely odd, definitely out of the ordinary, definitely, just off.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'll keep my eye out in the coming days and if I see a change in sightings/numbers I'll let you know

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

That makes me feel better. I'm about 2 and a half hours from the Michigan SE border.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby

Originally posted by PeterGriffin

Did they stick around?
Which country are you in, if you can share?

I'm in FL. Things are looking okay around here.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by smash_the_system

Thanks! I'll be noting it too, and I think I have to move away from the open window now cause that silence is so noticeable--- I'll have to drown it out with some Pearl Jam.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I have noticed a sharp decline in birds recently in my area (South London, UK). At one point this year they were so noisy they were waking me up in the morning. Now it is really quiet. A crow yesterday.

Except for one eerie moment today, about midday. You know in that film 'Day after tomorrow' there is a scene where the birds are flying south in noisy flocks, we had that over my house today. Is that normal for late summer? I thought they migrated in autumn.

(In fact if it wasn't for your post I was going to complain to my local council about the noise of my neighbour's windchimes, as I believed they were driving the birds away. Earlier this year in April/May I saw a black tit, a robin and a grey tit in my back garden. I hadn't seen these since I was a child. (Talking decades here.) Now no birds at all in my garden, just a frog and a toad.)

Recently I have been 'hearing' a very high pitched hum, in two tones like a fax machine sound. When I am relaxing I tend to hear it and sometimes I can 'hear/feel' it stop and it feels eerily quiet and I start to get anxious. Has anyone else heard anything strange? I have very sensitive hearing and can hear things other can't.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I woke up to the sound of birds this morning
- But i'm in Australia.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join