It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No birds singing today - strange quiet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I'm in central Canada.
Have always awoken to birds singing in the near vicinity.

Have sadly noticed a huge decline in the number of birds the last couple of years.
Crows have also moved in as their natural homes are diminished.

Today, I have heard 1 bird chirp a couple of times, and not the normal robins/sparrows/wrens.
Not even the predator caw of the crows who love to perch atop the streetlights.

The silence is very strange.
Posting this to see if anyone else has noticed the almost total absence of birds today, where ever you live.
edit on 24-8-2011 by ItsEvolutionBaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Should add the weather is calm; no storms on the horizon.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Same here outside Pittsburgh. Took my dog for a walk and the 10 minutes I was out, didn't see or hear a single bird. Not sure if it is abnormal or not since today is the first time I was actually looking for birds, because I'm still a bit paranoid about the quake yesterday.

Then I come on here in see this thread....eery.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It should've been posted in Fragile Earth, I ain't no animal but I've been nervous all night. I cleaned like a mad man last night and screamed at my mom about "The house needs to be clean before the *snip* end of the world!"
I feel like bull crap, my hands have been shaking since I found out about the earthquake, in virginia

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 24/8/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Odd I noticed this when I was outside this morning. The crows are still here. They like the ripe pears. I was thinking maybe I had a tree snake again and thats why I wasn't seeing any or hearing any.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I made a post earlier today regarding the eerie quiet of what seems like 'no birds' here too. I live in South Yorkshire, UK. Where we live we have had swarms of birds in the past, a lot nest around here thanks to an over supply of fruit trees (apple, plum, pear) For the past two days I haven't seen any starlings whatsoever. This is very odd for this time of the year. As now the trees are ripe with fruit they're usually flying into the trees in flocks. It's been sunny here today, I mentioned my observation to my son earlier, he just piped up, 'it's too hot' for them

The weather here now is overcast like a storms brewing, but there's still no birds.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

Yes...I have noticed that the birds are quiet....too quiet...I live in downtown Seattle, in an apartment building which has a beautiful courtyard with grass trees etc. I also live close to the waterfront.....usually there are robins and sparrows etc. this time of year chirping in our trees.....also usually the seagulls will fly above my building daily and talk their language very loudly morning and evening.....for the past 3 days...there has been none of this. It is just too quiet.

Also...my cat has been very upset these past three days too. He will come up to me and meow,, meow...meow...he is trying to warn me about something. He is a cat that is in good health and well cared for... I know his moods.

I just can't help but feel...that something big is going to happen....but what?

Obviously...the animals are trying to warn us...at least to me it is obvious.

edit on 24-8-2011 by caladonea because: add more

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Guess I now have to admit I don't know how to choose the thread topic to post in - this is my 4th thread; the threads have always appeared in the appropriate topics.. can't seem to find it in the edit section either.

And now reading the replies to this topic, this is happening in a few int'l locales?!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
seems quiet here in colorado too
noticed lack of birds also this morning

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I live in SE British Columbia, Canada, deep in the Rockies. I have several large pine and spruce trees in my yard which are home (or used to be) sparrows and stellar jays. Last few days I haven't heard or seen them... Very odd, considering the pear and apple trees in my backyard are ripe and juicy. Also, we've got a couple of local black bears who usually pop in every other day to have some apples, but not in the last 2 weeks have any come around. AND! Just lastnight, a fairly rare occurance happened - A pack of cyotes went complete ape-snoot for about 8 minutes solid around 12:40am.

Something is going on and its not right. The wildlife around here are being affected by whatever it is...

*off topic, but maybe relevant?*
I've also been noticing the skies over my hometown are slowly gaining more, "multiple-streak-spanning-horizon-to-horizon-but-never-disappear *contrails*" lately. Its pretty odd to even see an airplane, let alone jets, fly over my less than 1400 population village.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm in Indiana, and after reading this, I went outside and listened and looked.

It is not readily noticeable because of the locusts, but you are right, I did not hear or see any birds.

Has anyone seen any birds though?

ok, so we have two out of place earthquakes, no sounds of birds, and I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I also saw a blood moon last night, very freaky.

I think maybe we need to start putting the puzzle pieces together here. Is there anything else we should consider.
Could the sun have this, a man made device (harp or underground "science/drilling"). Is it all a coincidence? Should we look for more pieces?
edit on 24-8-2011 by tw0330 because: added a note

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FreshNugget

Stranger by the minute, this is.

And the elongated clouds may not be off topic - just commented on it two days ago.

WHERE are the birds??
It has never been this quiet!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
A lot of birds only sing as a means of defining thier territories in the breeding season

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is really unusual for where we live this time of the year. I wonder if these wierd noises that people are hearing are scaring them away or something? Noted we haven't had any strange noises where I am (as yet), but I'm aware that birds are sensitive to vibrational forces/noises etc.. It's so strange not hearing them or seeing them flying around. All I've seen flying around today is the odd butterfly or wasp. Strange....

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I am in VA...yesterday my cat was driving me crazy prior to the quake. She wanted in, she wanted out, she wanted in...you get the picture...every few minutes - drove me crazy

Typically during the day she is either under the bed, or on my bed..never acted like that during the day. Maybe she was nervous and sensed something. Today she is back to just sleeping.

Once you mentioned the bird, I payed attention. I am sitting at the computer next to an open window (another beautiful day). I do not hear any birds at all. However, I hear a cricket that is driving me crazy. Now that I think about it, aren't crickets typically nocturnal? I don't recall hearing them during the day

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Good point, but I also know that birds also often communicate with each other year round. Danger, hunger, communication are just a few reasons why.

They never go completely quiet, unless maybe something is up.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by summer5

And interesting you say cricket, because that is the only other nature sound we have heard this morning, just a very occasional chirp. Also odd because we have not heard them much if at all, chirping in the a.m.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I'm in Austin Texas and noticed this morning during my coffee on the patio that the birds I feed are no where to be found. The Humming birds that frequent the feeders along with the Morning Doves and Blue Jays are not around.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
The birds are chirping rather normally where I'm at, if not drowned out by the screeching of the cicadas. I think some birds might be starting to migrate already, so maybe that's why they seem quieter than normal?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
it was completely silent this morning here in NYC suburbs. usually they are some darn noisy a-s birds from 5a-8a. not today!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join