It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duplicate Threads and the Un-use of the Search Function

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
The duplication of threads is epidemic on ATS. This could largely be avoided if people would use the Search function prior to making a new thread. People, however, are lazy or do not think to use this tool.

So I have a suggestion. Not being particularly computer-savvy myself, would it be possible, in the "Your new thread title/subject:" box of the Post A New Thread page to insert a function similar to how google, or various other search bars, pop up similar or related topics related to the keywords entered underneath the space in which the new thread title is typed in?

This way, even without searching, a person could easily see what, if any, related threads were already present on ATS.

I think this would save the mods a lot of time, for one. And second, ATS members wouldn't have to sort through so many threads.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

In theory, what you're saying makes perfect sense. In reality, ATS search still does not work properly in the latest version of the IE browser nor does it work with Safari.

That being said, it would be mighty nice of the ATS developers to put the fix in. It wouldn't be hard for them to fix the current issue and implement the JQuery coding for instant search at the same time.

What say you, ATS developer(s)?

edit on 8/24/2011 by freakjive because: spelling

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Yes, please stoop down to our lazy level!

It's a good idea, but at the same time, if they weren't going to look for it, they will ignore it no matter how blatantly easy it becomes.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Shall I be the first to point out the complete irony of this thread? How many threads per month are on this very topic?

The general consensus that you will hear from mods/staff on this, and don't let me speak for them, use the search function and find ne of the ther threads, is that duplicate threads are allowed to exist, so long as they are in different forums and approach the topic correctly for that specific forum.

If a duplicte thread exists in the same forum nd it has not yet been closed by a mod, please use the alert function so it can get the attention of a mod sooner.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalunom
The duplication of threads is epidemic on ATS. This could largely be avoided if people would use the Search function prior to making a new thread.

People want *their own* thread.
As an example in the wave of the Norway bombing/shootings there were fifty squazillion threads made over the course of several days by people who were well aware that there were already threads running.
But they wanted their own thread to proudly announce a bit of "news" that they'd read somewhere.

And all the Ron Paul threads.
Like they dont know there's a bunch of these already?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Complete and blatant irony, indeed.

There are several threads on repeat threads...even some suggesting exactly what I am suggesting here. Isn't it such a pain...?

Do something about it! Please!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by kalunom
The duplication of threads is epidemic on ATS. This could largely be avoided if people would use the Search function prior to making a new thread.

People want *their own* thread.
As an example in the wave of the Norway bombing/shootings there were fifty squazillion threads made over the course of several days by people who were well aware that there were already threads running.
But they wanted their own thread to proudly announce a bit of "news" that they'd read somewhere.

And all the Ron Paul threads.
Like they dont know there's a bunch of these already?

Unfortunately, yes that does seem to often be the case.

At least something could be done to mitigate a few of those squazillion threads...maybe?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

The only suggestion I have is to be the change that you want to see. Refrain from creating duplicate threads, refrain from contributing to duplicate threads and utilize the alert function when necessary.

Be the chage that you want to see and become an example for others to follow.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Interesting to say the least....another thread about duplicate threads...when irony rings true for certain!

I think it goes without saying it is something that is just going to happen and there is no way around it...and in my opinion shows the true intent of the author of the thread...hmmm...too lazy to search but wants to authorize a thread about threads...ironic or idiotic?

Welcome to the age of information that can be ignored as quickly as it can be utilized...another fine example!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
There is a search function here...?

How do I search for the search function?

Wait...I know...

Let me look into one of the past threads on duplicate threads and search for the search function there so I can find the thread on duplicate threads and not post a duplicate thread.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
C'mon. There are more pressing things to worry about. If you see a duplicate thread, so what? If it bothers someone that there is a duplicate thread, they should just ignore it, as eventually the mods will come across it and close it. No one needs to complain. It's sorta like when you see the millionth Elenin thread, you don't need to go to it and be that guy that posts, "Oh no. You're wasting our time with the millionth Elenin thread! These threads are so stupid!"

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Two things:

The irony of this thread is laughable.

Secondly, I created a "dupe" thread last night, on closer inspection I'm really glad I did because the opinions/thoughts expressed in mine are completely different from the existing thread so I'm happy for both to run concurrently.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Ay up lad!.......well said

Some people put things in a different perspective than others, hence, different response's

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Do you want to stem the free flow of information in different threads with different ideas, perspectives and solutions? Why?

What is the tag line here at ATS?

edit on 24-8-2011 by whaaa because: code 4t4

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Dood you could have done a search. There are 100's of threads on this topic. Why don't you just go add your coments to one of those?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
A lot of people CLAIM to have used the search function but clearly havent....if they have then they must have been on another site or used the incorrect search terms.

People want stars and flags, people may slightly rephrase the thread in an attempt to make it sound new and exciting.

I try and ensure i do a thorough search before posting threads, and i have succeeded for the most part....i think i have one thread thats a duplicate of another....i have another one thats a duplicate but thats only because myself and another user created an almost identical thread at almost the identical time...literally seconds apart. It wasnt breaking news, it was more ongoing news
Mine was called Londons Burning, the other guys title wasnt quite as good lol (so i got loads of flags and stars....and then told i was an attention whore
lol)

I can see how breaking news threads can become duplicate but the rest dont really have a reason.

Why would anyone use IE?? I dont think that excuse is good enough to be honest, clearly if it doesnt work in there, why continue to use IE to visit ATS?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The search function sucks sadly. You have to be pretty specific if you want to make sure you aren't creating a duplicate thread.

People should look at the board they are posting on though to see if there are any other threads on the same topic on that boards first and second page imo.

new topics

top topics

join