It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children's Book 'Maggie Goes on a Diet' Causes Stir

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManOfGod267
Bullying and self image! Those two words have become much more controversial over the years. Times like these a small incident will turn into a war over name calling. But the current subject is over a book. A simple children's book called Maggie goes on a diet. Maggie is bullied and teased. The book goes to say she will eat to make herself better. But then she diets and exercises to lose weight. Now she is popular, a star of soccer team and even more popular for being healthy. Which many parents are disgusted over the subject matter of the character becoming thinner and people respecting her because she is skinnier. Yes, I understand it's hard and everyone thinks differently. Being an adult I do not care what people think of me or treat others with disrespect. But children of today are different and sometimes kids can take things to hard. What I see here is we need to make kids feel happy about themselves. But we also need to influence them to improve themselves. Not just get upset over small issues and making them worse.
Video link

This is such an interesting post....I really wonder why it hasn`t had anymore flags, apart from mine.

I don`t understand why noone has picked up on the deep underlying problem of this book. And the message it conveys....

A book on diets? The poor girl, being valued only for her external appearance? Then gets bullied, then starts starving herself, maybe becoming anorexic/bulimic etc.... Why hasn`t anyone else picked up on the importance of this thread and book I really don`t understand.

This is a subject that really hits home...

I don`t even understand how the author of this `book` was allowed to publish it in the first place.

I really hope this thread finds more posters on this incredibly important subject.

Great post.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sarahko

Did you watch the video? The main character dieted and exercised. Then she became more involved with other students. Yes, kids shouldn't make fun of one another. But kids are going to bully or be bullied at school. I can say both happened to me and many others for generations.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...believe whatever you want...

I don't have to believe anything. I'm living it with my kids.

... including that its okay for you to assault my character...

Your words my friend, not mine. I didn't put them out there. I just think, no insult intended, that you may need to come up to speed on what's going on out there TODAY. It's WAY worse than what we went through. It's out and out nasty. My intention is not to denigrate but to enlighten. Back in our time it was easy. Smack upside the head. Problem solved. It doesn't work that way anymore. I apologize if you think that I was dissing your character.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Previously posted by Wyn Hawks
...believe whatever you want, including that its okay for you to assault my character...

Originally posted by intrepid
I don't have to believe anything. I'm living it with my kids.

...i gave you a way out of this arguement that you started with your erroneous presumptions about me - but - obviously thats not what you wanted.... so, what do you want?... want me to let you treat me like a door mat?... want me to be a subservient female and just shut the hell up?... wanna tie me to your whipping post?... i'm not opposed to kinky sex, honey, but you could at least wine and dine me first...

no insult intended,

...thats a phrase often used by intentionally offensive people and they do so because they are attempting to limit responses from those they have intentionally offended...

My intention is not to denigrate but to enlighten.

...oh, you enlightened alright... yep, just not in the area you were intending...

I apologize if you think that I was dissing your character.

..."if you think"?... thats not an apology... thats just another denial of your inappropriate behavior... since you're obviously clueless about how to properly apologize, here's an example: "wyn, i'm sorry"... see?... so simple that even a three year old can do it...

reply to post by ManOfGod267

...i apologize for interrupting your thread...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Um, this is just trying to help you out! You seem to not understand how you invited insulting response to yourself?

Your first post in this thread included-

...i do have a problem with book-burners and those who want to censor books or put a stupid rating on them or run a book down because it threatens their little anal retentive world...

...the anal retentives that are making a stink about this book want to put everyone's kid in a "stupid bubble"...

That was guaranteed to set anyone in this thread with an opposing opinion in a defensive mode. You insulted them.
I really am just trying to help. Being a writer doesn't always mean one is highly aware of how their writing will get immediate feedback if used to writing alone! We can initiate thigns on accident that we didn't really want. You get back what you put out pretty quickly.

I used to make that mistake a lot and was really confused for a while about why people were attacking me for no reason.
edit on 25-8-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

you invited insulting response to yourself

guaranteed to set anyone in this thread with an opposing opinion in a defensive mode. You insulted them.

...thats one way of looking at it - but - you seem to be under the delusion that i'm such a powerful entity that i can control other people's mind, thereby controlling their behavior, which makes me 100% responsible for their behavior and puts zero responsibility on them...

...if i really was such a powerful goddess - perfectly directed lightening bolts would be striking all over dc (as well as a few other places where the puppets of scum hang out)...

...its very easy to misunderstand someone's post because we cant hear their tone of voice or see their facial expressions... however, if someone takes offense at someone else's post thats not directed at any poster in particular, the offended one MADE A CHOICE to take offense...

...i respect people's right to make their own choices for themselves and their kids - but - clearly, i have issues with those people dictating my choices... perhaps you see all that in shades of grey, which reminds me of an entertaining little story about that habit...

...its interesting, imo, that the incident in question (on this thread) ties into the "maggie" book - in that it is an example of bullying... maybe thats really the core issue with some who think the book is dangerous...

...reminds me of all the hoopla the anal retentives caused over natalie maines comment about being embarrassed that gwb was a texan (which he really isnt) and the subsequent dixie chicks cd burning parties and attempts to ruin their career...

...well, gosh, there i've gone and done it again
- called folks anal retentives... couldve called em nazis cuz that fits too... theres lots of words that aptly describe their behavior... some that i prefer to use would violate t&c... o'well, its everyone's choice to take my words as a personal insult (even tho its directed to no one in particular) or not...

I really am just trying to help.

...they say the road to hell is lined with good intentions...

Being a writer doesn't always mean one is highly aware of how their writing will get immediate feedback if used to writing alone!

...the contrary is also true... ie: some are fully aware of the impact of their statements...

...your comment is a valid example of misunderstanding... (1) - ats stuck the "writer" label on my avatar (without consulting me) after i entered a contest.... i chose to ignore the label... been labeled with much worser words MANY times, lol... (2) - your inference to "writing alone" must apply to you because the contrary is more accurate of my experiences...

We can initiate thigns on accident that we didn't really want. You get back what you put out pretty quickly.

...you might have had a valid point, imo - if - i had directed my initial post to someone in particular... since i didnt do that, your point appears to be for the benefit of the bully, who apparently isnt subject to your "you get back what you put out" thingy...

I used to make that mistake a lot and was really confused for a while about why people were attacking me for no reason.

...but thats all about you and your choices... has nothing to do with me and my choices... also, imo, it appears that you chose to accomodate bullies and the over-sensitive... if you want to live that way - thats entirely your call to make but
i'd sooner eat maggots than live that way...

...i've been posting on message boards for decades - but - even if i was a rookie, i would still play this gig as i choose with the only controlling factor being the house's t&c...

...ya know, not everyone participates in message boards for the same reasons and thank goodness for that or it would be a very boring experience...

...and btw - belated welcome to the show...

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

So which of these does the book promote...diets, or lifestyle changes?

If you know, of course.
If it uses the word diet and shows a lifestyle change (most likely stance), it's doing both but not explaining to the kid who reads what the difference is. therefore as long as the word "diet" is attached to what they eat, they'll think they are doing the same thing as the character in the book. Remember, kids aren't taught enough critical thinking skills to handle this.

But in the end it's conjecture because the only way I'm reading that thing is if I see it in passing the next time I visit BAM.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'm concerned at the message this book is giving to young people. I was an obese kid. In fact, I've been heavy ever since I was four. I come from a long line of obesity. My dad was also overweight and my kids are overweight as well. Each generation was raised with different styles of eating and exercising.

My dad came from a very poor family in the late depression. They ate what was easy to get and cheap. The kids walked everywhere and played outside actively. Later in his childhood, he acquired a bike and rode it everywhere. He remained about 30-40 lbs. overweight. As he aged, he gained weight, losing once on a diet, and gaining back. He gave up dieting and maintained his weight, although it was more than he should weigh.

I started to gain weight at four years old just like my dad before me. My diet was different. We ate more fried foods and baked goods. I was taught to clean my plate. Probably my folks felt this was important due to growing up in such hard times themselves. I was a good girl and always cleaned my plate. I played outside mostly as a child and loved to ride my bike and skate. I also hiked in the woods with my brothers a lot. I wasn't inside much at all. when I was in 8th grade, I grew tired of the fat jokes at school, and embarked on the first of many diets. I lost weight. In high school, I had gained back my weight loss, but by my senior year, I had a plan and after eating 1/2 a sandwich every day for 6 months, I had lost all my extra weight. I ultimately got sick and kept passing out. After I began to eat normally, I gained back my loss and extra. Throughout my adult life, with broken and battered self-esteem, I lost and gained repeatedly. Finally, I got my insurance to cover gastric banding and for the first time, I feel I will be able to reach my goal and stay there.

My kids have grown up eating different foods than I or my parents. They have grown up with a mother constantly watching her food intake. I rarely fry foods and most food in my home has been cooked according to healthy specifications. My kids both started gaining weight at, you guessed it, four years old. They have strong, stocky builds like my dad's family and myself. They get teased at school. My daughter cuts back on her food intake, but doesn't actually diet to try to maintain her current weight. Sometimes, she loses weight, like when cheerleading season starts. She is a cheerleader prized for her strength and agility. Kids who don't understand how important that is, call her the "fat cheerleader". She acts like she doesn't care, but she does.
My son gets teased more. He is shy and doesn't let things roll off as easy. He has hypertension at 11 years old, so you can bet I watch what he is eating. He rides his bike and likes to walk the dog, but he needs to be more active. He and I go for walks, because it helps us both.

Three different generations with three different lifestyles and eating styles. We all started gaining weight at the same age. You can't tell me genetics doesn't play a role in this. I know eating too much and not exercising enough causes weight gain, but there has to be more to it than just that. Besides, even though I eat less than what I need per day calorie wise, my body still fights tooth and nail to hang onto this weight.

But to get back to the issue of the book, maybe the author hoped to be helpful, but it is irresponsible to encourage dieting to young people without the participation of a medical professional. I think my history of dieting seriously messed up my body's metabolism, making it more sluggish. I think that genetics plays a big part in weight and how a person loses it. I also believe that most overweight kids are quite aware of their size and choose to act tough or ignore it as a coping mechanism. My daughter does so much better at school by giving a curt retort if someone teases her about her size than my son does by ignoring them. Funny thing is, the kids that pick on my son are always the boniest, tiniest things. It doesn't appear to phase them that if he got really mad, he could send them into next year. I pity them if he ever does get mad, he's built like an ox.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

I don't doubt, based on your story, that your family has genetics as a contributing factor in battling to maintain healthy weight. Having said that, I have a hard time believing that the genetics of the Nation as a whole have changed over the last 20 years.

www.cdc.gov...

As you can see from the above (watch the animated map), obesity has increased across the country very, very rapidly...one has to assume even amongst families that previously had a genetic predisposition to staying thin.

It is difficult to argue against the fact that, overall, people are eating too much and exercising too little over the course of their lives.

Does this book take the right approach in promoting a healthier lifestyle? Not sure (as I haven't read it). But clearly, people need to be talking about this very dangerous health trend in North America.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Actually, the genetics of a whole culture CAN change that rapidly, if the poor conditions are right. I'm not talking evolution or adaptation, I'm talking environmentally derived mutations with immediate detrimental effects. The amount of lead we had in fuel and other sources in inner cities was enough to morph blood type, and cause a few permutations to the next generation. as well as degrade cognitive ability. Consuming aluminum is associated with Alzheimer's.

The whole "eat right for your blood type" book series indicated that a diet high in corn for some blood types increased weight severely.

But the thing we suffer from the most right now is that our bodies are designed to handle famine cycles. We haven't had a "famine" situation in this country since the dust bowl, really--although WWII can be argued to have limited what food resources were used at home.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
We also have no way of knowing how all the additives and other junk they put into foods now can affect our weight and ability to lose it. Another thing I've wondered about is how these added chemicals are affecting hormones that may contribute to a child's body holding onto extra weight.

Text

We all know how much harder it is for a more mature body to lose weight. So maybe these kid's bodies are maturing too quickly and they are struggling with the same issues of metabolism that middle age people encounter. Once the weight is there, it's extremely hard to get it off.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I'm having trouble getting my off site content to post.www.myoverwei ghtchild.com/childhood-obesity-articles/childhood-obesity-identified-as-risk-factor-for-early-puberty.html
here's the link instead.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

As a father of 2 girls this disgusts me. Written by a man, right? It would have to be, or a cold blooded woman. There's enough pressure on our girls(I'm discounting boys as they weren't mentioned) already to conform to what society expects of them. Barbie dolls anyone? Is this productive or a precursor to eating disorders that can be deadly. Either by anorexia, bulimia or suicide. Maybe this asshole should write a book on how to be happy with yourself.

I would love for you to meet my nephew.

He is 16 years old and weighs 275lbs.
He does not understand why he cannot wrestle with the other kids his age without getting in trouble for hurting them.
He does not have a clue why he cannot walk through a room without knocking things off the shelves all the way through.
He does not understand why he get winded from going up one flight of stairs.
He does not understand why he smells bad all the time.
He does not understand why he has trouble controlling his sweat and cleaning his entire body.
He demands 5 full meals a day. He will eat an entire box of cereal for breakfast.

Know why? His parents are so afraid of hurting his fragile little ego that they dare not tell him he is "fat" or any other word you an use for it. Instead, they just buy more food and hand it to him. He is not having a good life at 16. If trends continue, he will not have a great life ever and it will not last very long. But his parents, like you, seem too worried about how his feelings might get hurt if someone points out to him that he is not living a healthy life.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...thats one way of looking at it - but - you seem to be under the delusion that i'm such a powerful entity that i can control other people's mind, thereby controlling their behavior, which makes me 100% responsible for their behavior and puts zero responsibility on them...

No, you are mistaken. Having an influence upon others and how they react to you does not entail being "100% responsible for their behavior." It simply means our choice of behavior plays a part in how others react towards us.

if someone takes offense at someone else's post thats not directed at any poster in particular, the offended one MADE A CHOICE to take offense...

Yeah, I have argued that in the past. It was pointed out to me (unsuccessfully at the time) that when I say "people who have this position are this or that" I am refering to all people reading it that hold that position. The only way they can choose to percieve I am not calling them a "this or that" is if they change positions so they no longer fit into the catagory I have designated.

...its interesting, imo, that the incident in question (on this thread) ties into the "maggie" book - in that it is an example of bullying... maybe thats really the core issue with some who think the book is dangerous...

I haven't seen bullying, but perhaps I missed it. I saw you asserting yourself in an aggressive way, and I saw people reacting the same way back to you. Nothing wrong with that. (I am not against being aggressive)

We can initiate thigns on accident that we didn't really want. You get back what you put out pretty quickly.

...you might have had a valid point, imo - if - i had directed my initial post to someone in particular... since i didnt do that, your point appears to be for the benefit of the bully, who apparently isnt subject to your "you get back what you put out" thingy...

As I said, you don't have to direct at anyone in particular to make individuals feel insulted. I also feel no need to protect them from getting the same aggression back. But crying victimization is not being aggressive.

...but thats all about you and your choices... has nothing to do with me and my choices... also, imo, it appears that you chose to accomodate bullies and the over-sensitive...

Yeah, I tried to empathize and reflect on my own experiences to understand what yours might be. So perhaps I wasn't successful.
I still do not see you as a victim of bullying. (for whatever reason you are claiming it)

This time, I was aware, for example, that no matter how hard I could try to write this in a respectful and kind way, it would most likely get me a more or less aggressive reply, so I see no reason to complain about your sarcastic response. It is normal and I invited it. I chose to do it anyway because in the past, I didn't accept someone explaining this to me right away, but with time, their words began to make sense to me and I became better able to accept responsibility for my actions and feel less conflict with how others react to me. I am thankful they tried to explain back then.

A good example in the bullying question is if you follow some kids that are bullied in school, what you will find is that they act arrogant towards others, because they are covering a sense of insecurity. They act closed and hostile towards others, out of fear of not being liked ("I can't be rejected if I reject first" logic). They are over sensitive and try to compensate for that by putting forth a tough guy/girl front.... and not being able to hold it up all the way when answered with a similar tough response..... falling into passive aggressivity and manipulation crying innocent victim.

I don't buy the victim game very often. I tend to observe things and people carefully. I am not a victim and either are you.
edit on 27-8-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Komaratzi11

Now, the question with this is:

Does Obesity CAUSE early puberty, or is it another SYMPTOM? Considering what growth hormones in meat do to the weight of a cow or chicken, and the fact that it s directly linked to early puberty in girls (Argentina and pregnant 5 year olds), I suspect that in most cases both obesity and early puberty are symptoms of eating a hormone you shouldn't ear.

And not all health products are healthy for kids. Soy has an estrogen equivalent, and in my opinion should never be eaten by males or before the end of growth for girs.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

No, you are mistaken. Having an influence upon others and how they react to you does not entail being "100% responsible for their behavior." It simply means our choice of behavior plays a part in how others react towards us.

Yeah, it is usually the victim's fault when someone else cannot control themselves. I mean, look at all the stupid women that get raped because they walk around having vaginas.

If you cannot control how you react to certain stimuli, the problem is all yours.

If you cannot control how much you eat, do you blame that on the pretty pictures on the packages?

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

I don't know many people that get raped on a internet forum. The statements you quoted were made within the context of refering to discussion and conversation on the web (though I would add they also apply to face to face conversations and discussions as well).

A verbal attack is not a physical attack, and is in a completely different catagory, in my opinion.
I think mixing the two together is a mistake, and is also a damaging message to send to kids.
Most rapes or other physical attacks are not a result of verbal communications at all.
For a person to grow up being told (and believing) that having someone insult you verbally is equal to having someone punch you, or that having them criticize you is equal to a slap in the face, is not going to make their lives easier. It is a source of hypersensitivity, which carries it's own negative effects (as mentioned, being offensive in an attempt to defend against potential fear rejection, causing exactly what they are afraid of ).

To have your mind tell your body that a verbal attack is exactly the same as a physical attack sets off the appropriate hormones for fending off physical attack- without physical action, they are useless and ultimately damaging to the body.

The case of claimed victimization and bullying I addressed is an exchange of WORDS happening over a computer, in this thread. It is not fair to pretend that sort of experience is the same thing as being physical raped or beaten. Not fair to people who have actually lived through a physical rape or beating.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join