It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trailer or not to trailer...that is the quetion..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have read several treads here and in another site about Bug Out Trailers, Stealth Campers and some other ideas that people have about loading up the RV or Travel Trailer to Bug Out.

I think its a great idea, but it will greatly slow you down with traveling and fuel (mpg). It seems like a good way to go, but if something happens like what did yesterday(earthquake)....and it was stronger, say it destroys roads and bridges...then what? Your sitting just like everyone else wanting to get out of dodge...except they see you have a shelter with supplies with you...how long do you think you can supply them or hold off the masses?

I still think that a trailer is a good idea, but maybe have it staged at the BOL, so you can be mobile there if you need to move from the location or relocate after a few months.

I would think that being able to go quickly, if your going, would be the best, so that you can be quicker or able to go where others can't...incase of bridges being out or if its muddy and you need to go off road, cuz anyone that has an RV will tell you that they SUCK off road...they get stuck in mud puddles!!!

I am just searching for some ideas to be as prepared as possible for whatever is to come my way.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
We recently purchased an old camper, and are in the process of fixing it to our needs. We plan to take the camper to a location and leave it there. This place is about a 45 min drive, but I think if we had to we could hoof it there in a matter of days. I thought of the camper when I was thinking about where we would go or do, and with three little kids, "camping" would not work for us when it's cold out. A tent just doesn't keep heat as well as an insulated camper. I think it's a great idea for those of us who are preparing in this way. We found the camper we have for just 400 bucks and in deccent condition. In addition to the camper I made bug out packs x2 for everyone, and I also made mini bug out kits that I keep in my van. I think we can handle anything at this point.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think a trailer is a great idea, it allows you remain packed a read to go at a moments notice. As with any prep item you have to be willing to ditch it if the circumstances warrant. Also, another great item is the hitch mounted cargo trailer. Giving you a little extra cargo space on your trailer hitch. A good addition in the case you need to ditch the trailer and you want to take a few things from the trailer with your main vehicle.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Seems like too much of a liability to have a camper trailer or full on RV.

A more subdued, concealable, maneuverable yet functional approach would be a 4x4 pickup with a camper shell over the bed.

As far as having a "home base" goes that comes with its own issues. A giant advertisement of "free stuff in here" not being the least. Folks should be able to fashion a shanty or hut of sorts of materials on sight that would be much better hidden from strangers eyes than a trailer dragged to a spot.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Pickup with shell, or maybe a 4X4 van. But either way, it is only temporary transport.

My 4X4 is intended to get me to the great lakes..after that, I'm canoeing to my destination, at night and hiding during the day.

Don't get to attached to a thing....no matter how "faithful" it has been.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is a common problem with most peoples ideas of "bug out" they never know where they are going to "bug out" too. You think your going to park that RV on my land and share resources? highly doubtful as my 7.62 will talk more to strangers than I will.

you need to have a commnity already dedicated and things setup to "bug out" too. Not think of it on the fly, you will be absorbed with the masses of starving people trying to take yor stuff.

Personally have 28 acres of timber land, a fema tr, ailer in great shape, septic, water pump electric with manual hand ability, solar power, wind power for bad days, 24v battery system able to run everything plus power tools, hand tools for timber work, firearms, ammnition, preserving/canning containers, 2 deep freezers, and we are working on another storage shed atm and next is the large cooking furnace out of rock for various uses.

If you dont have a place to go, you are in trouble if SHTF, which it will. Bernanke is going to announce QE3 this friday. If war does not break out, there will be nothing to spur the economies past this and we all sink.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
A trailer kind of begs the question for me. If you think you are in a relatively "bad" place of the SHTF and you will trailer yourself to a relatively "good" place, why not move to the "good" place right now? I, for one, don't want to be on the move if something happens because I believe that will make me much more vulnerable, a moving target with a trailer full of goodies. Instead, I would rather "hide in place" and maintain a low-key profile, not look like anybody else. I'll expend less energy, less fuel, and be familiar with my surroundings. None of that is true if I travel.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog
I still think that a trailer is a good idea, but maybe have it staged at the BOL, so you can be mobile there if you need to move from the location or relocate after a few months.

Just keep in mind that in this scenario that you and others seem to expect will happen where it's dog-eat-dog, if your trailer is hours or days away you'll likely get to it only to find it occupied by a gun-totin' crazy, or it may be gone. As others said, establishing a community with like-minded individuals is best. For me it's called- "neighborhood". We already live out in the country and there's nothing out in the boonies that'll help us survive any better than we can in our own home.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I should add that this location belongs to my father, and most of my family (brothers and sisters, their kids and so on) has planned to meet in this location with their own supplys and so on. This location is also not at all likely to be a place people will be passing threw. Reminds me of that movie "The Village".

Also it's hard to plan for every single possible situation, so I have done what I can with the budget I have, and go from there. Also a stock pile of ammo never hurt anyone.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
When the stuff hits the fan...

Do you reallythink you are going totravel on the open roads and highways?... Really?

How long before a road block or state trooper or a National guard humvee with a mg mounted on top will stop you...not to mention gunships and choppers flying about.

In a real SHTF situation... there will be martial law, curfews, limited travel between states, counties, and munincipalities.

If you have ever seen the front of a log book of a trucker, it tells you in no uncertain terms that in a SHTF scenario, that vehicle becomes confiscated transport for the local officials and US govt. Further, if you read some of the Executive orders and provisions under the law, that big ol' RV also becomes confiscated property.

Try driving down I-95 or I-85 or across I-64 with Humvees and checkpoints at all the strategic exits... or trying to go down those country backroads that run through every little cross roads community and become bottle necks for all of the other hundred thousands of people trying to "head for the hills"

As stated, you would be better off to go ahead and either have a place set up as a destination or actually change your lifestyle and go ahead and make the move....now.

I still think traveling with a pack mule or by horse back along the power line right of ways and off the roads is best.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Exactly right. I have no doubt that there are some hardcore survivalists that could manage to eke out a living in the wild, but the vast majority of people have a very idealized, romantic idea of what "roughing it" would be like but are completely unprepared for the realities of it. There is very little land left in the US that isn't privately owned and people who think they can just run off in a SHTF scenario and find their own little piece of paradise for hunting and fishing to survive are going to instead find themselves constantly staring down the wrong end of a shotgun or rifle and getting chased from place to place until they run out of gas on the side of the road somewhere.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We just sold our 2008 travel trailer because we realized if SHTF you won't be able to get very far in your trailer. First of all...gas will be expensive. If you already have a supply of gasoline, then the next hurdle is getting on the road and dealing with the congestion. BUT....What if the roads are destroyed by an earthquake or a flood.....then what? Or what about people? I honestly don't think people are going to be very polite to each other once SHTF. Some people may just want to take your trailer and see what you've loaded it with so they can survive themselves.
I've been through many scenerios and I just can't imagine having a trailer anymore. I would love to have a trailer and just set up camp somewhere away from all the danger, but....I also think being on the move is the best answer.

Have you thought about a BUG out Cart? You could load it up with your tents, backpacks, camping gear and food supplies.

I've found these, but they don't sell them in the US. www.carrix.ch...

So I figured something like this would work too... www.cabelas.com...
or this maybe...
www.amazon.com...

Anyway..hope that helps...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
This is why I am at a crossroads with getting something to haul...I would have it staged and ready if it was at my BOL...which is family owned and family there!
So having it occupied is not a problem...if roads are destoried or if road blocks are up, its just an expensive, easy to get stuck trailer that will tell everyone...hey I have sh!t here..
Thats whu I started this tread. I like the trailer idea but am wanting to figure out if it is really worth it or not.
I guess it could also be shelter if something were to happen to the main structure..like a fire or something.
Still not sold eather way, I guess it is, what it is....

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

Here's a thread with those types of carts in mind:

The Wheeled cart

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Yes, thank you. Do those come with a shoulder harness or do you have to buy those seperatly?
Now to figure out which one is the best...or easiest to push or pull. Cabelas has one that carries 500 lbs, but it's kinda pricey. Amazon has some cheap ones, but I'm not sure if I want cheap eatiher, especially if it's for survival. Need something that lasts.
edit on 25-8-2011 by blue_fish because: I can't spell worth crap in the morning.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blue_fish

Sorry, I don't have any experience with any of those. I just happened to have the thread open in another tab when I came across your post. You could ask the OP of that thread.

On topic: I think a trailer is a good idea. There are many situations where it would be ideal. If the situation becomes one where it is a liability than just walk away from it.

new topics

top topics

join