It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

55,000+ cables released by wikileaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
http://__._/

Apparently the website is currently under dos attack at the moment.

In my honest opinion these's cables where ment to shock the world into reform and so far all they have done is get a few pie stains on peoples faces, nothing major. Also I still dont like the fact that one person/orginasation has all the cables and that they are holding them ransom instead of just releasing them all. If its freedom of infromation your after then Wikileaks like to keep their cards close to their chests and not let anything leak unless they want it to! Sound like any other country? or operation?

The link that was given by WL is http://__._/magnet.txt, apparently you have to

uTorrent -> Load torrent from URL -> input magnet-link from the URL they gave to download the files.

Happy hunting.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is the worst movie ever, I want my money back.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
55,000 cables is a lot of information, it is free.

If they released millions of cables all at once, things would be lost in the fray. And most of it probably wouldnt get checked or read. As its up to the public for the most part to search through the leaks and find the information that is troubling.

Makes sense that's how they'd do it. A million would be just too much information all at once. etc.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dl2one

ditto, also im sure this fella

www.guardian.co.uk...

wants his life back, nevermind it being a complete farce to begin with handing the cables to that C# Jullian whom in my eyes is using the information as a bartering chip over his trial.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Here is the way I look at it.

55,000 bundles of paper wouldent sink a two man boat, sure it may be uncomfortable to sit in but eventually you get to the next port of call and get to dump off the unwanted weight.

Where as 1,000,000 bundles of paper would sink a ship quare and fast.

See the metaphore? I understand your wanting the people to do their diligence and scower through the cables one by one to nit pick, where as if you build up a big picture and fast it will make people lives alot more miserable than the odd one or two cables about them.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

I think the point is that some of the lesser cables have more clout in the context of smaller releases whereas if you put out all of them at once then the big hitters will drown out the smaller, yet still important stories.. this happens in media all the time, if someone dies and a big major event happens, one of them will drown out the other .. I can understand completely why they would want to avoid that and allow the cables to be properly absorbed.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

www.guardian.co.uk...

wants his life back, nevermind it being a complete farce to begin with handing the cables to that C# Jullian whom in my eyes is using the information as a bartering chip over his trial.

Manning gave some evidence to support some questionable acts in war. Video if i remember correctly.

Death penalty for releasing video that we have a right to know? Just because FOX didnt show it?

If the military wasn't doing questionable acts, then people wouldn't feel the need to bring those facts to the public.
edit on 24/8/11 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
oh lawd...meanwhile in germany: ex-wikileaks member Daniel Domscheit-Berg (DDB) gets kicked out the CCC and deletes ALL the insurance file information and his key under the eyes of his lawyer...and is now working for the german CIA and trys to build his own wikileaks called openleaks...

and some people still believe anonymous & wikileaks is all cia...

the insurance file includes:

The material is irreplaceable and includes substantial information on many issues of public importance, human rights abuses, mass telecommunications interception, banking and the planning of dozens of neo-nazi groups.

and more got revealed:

We can confirm that the claimed DDB destroyed data included more than 60,000 emails from the NPD We can confirm that the DDB claimed destroyed data included US intercept arrangements for over a hundred internet companies We can confirm that the DDB claimed destroyed whistleblower data included the internals of around 20 neo-Nazi organizations We can confirm that the DDB claimed destroyed data included five gigabytes from the Bank of America. We can confirm that the DDB claimed destroyed data included a copy of the entire US no-fly list.

but haters gona hate anyway...
edit on 24-8-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
reply to post by michaelmcclen

I think the point is that some of the lesser cables have more clout in the context of smaller releases whereas if you put out all of them at once then the big hitters will drown out the smaller, yet still important stories.. this happens in media all the time, if someone dies and a big major event happens, one of them will drown out the other .. I can understand completely why they would want to avoid that and allow the cables to be properly absorbed.

We are going to have to agree to disagree

I have my opinion which im not saying is right and I have your opinion which im not saying is wrong.

Even through we may have diffrent opinions on what the cables should be about and how they are used, im sure we can agree on one thing and that is at least someone has them.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Hessdalen

As if all the financial data was destroyed, they never had backups I take it. I am going to go out on a limb and say the US pretty much said, if you do even so much as release anything to mess with big money you're as good as dead. End of discussion, you don't screw the Banks and Corps of the USofA and live to tell about it.

The information would or could be as explosive enough to send us all into war, lets face it. If anything it was agreed upon by both parties for the reason above not to release that data. I am sure it may find it's way into evidence against some institutions for instance Goldman Sachs and BOA or whoever doesn't "play the game" at a later time.

The way I see it the economy and world politics is right now best described by a movie scene; Reservoir Dogs, you know when they all have guns pointed at each other and SWITZERLAND IS MR PINK!. (Okay maybe not that part about Switzerland but certain nations are playing Mr. Pink.)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
OP you do realize that each cable has to be proof read and censored before release? That's what is taking up so much time and even though there is alot of volunteers in on it it's still slow.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

let them play their game because they did so much $hit we cannot handle the truth anymore - to big to fail?¿?¿

besides there are backups and thats why this act is so important - its a blatant statement: ok, i dont want to be involved - i change the side and do what TPTB want me to do....oh wait, i have a new much much better whistleblower plattform called openleaks [sound like its OPEN to everyone]...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Hi guys im new here, well i say new ive been reading for a while now only started posting. i need some help with reading these files ! ive DL'ed the lot and it turns out to be a bunch of html links to a website with a list of web links to nothing. all files are dead ends. just doesn't make sense. anyone else had this trouble?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

www.guardian.co.uk...

Bradley Manning was outed by a supposed friend/s on facebook, he should have stayed mum.
That has nothing to do with Julian Assange, in fact Assange has not recognized Manning as an informant, as to do so would only make Mannings situation worse, can you not see that?
As for all the Wikileaks info, it's not up to us to decide when this stuff is released, Assange and co recognize that it's their responsibility, leave it at that, and let them decide.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
55,000 cables is a lot of information, it is free.

If they released millions of cables all at once, things would be lost in the fray. And most of it probably wouldnt get checked or read. As its up to the public for the most part to search through the leaks and find the information that is troubling.

Makes sense that's how they'd do it. A million would be just too much information all at once. etc.

A million is too much, but 55,000 isn't??? Who is really going to go through 55,000 cables?? 10 a day for every day would make more sense to me....I guess that is why I am not heading up anon....

new topics

top topics

join