"Why Liberals Are More Intelligent Than Conservatives" - Psychology Today Magazine

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This just in, white people control the world because they're smarter than black people.
This just in, Christianity is the biggest religion in the world because Christian's are smarter than other religions, and also atheists.
This just in, American's are more intelligent than the rest of the world.

Right? Same logic?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

...and the liberals have a corner on "open mindedness"?

Really?

While I am an independent conservative, I dont recall the repubs calling all dems that disagree with them terrorists.

Now if you want to talk about discrimination? I would own that.

Discrimination is how you divide the wheat from chaff, good from bad, mindless emotionalism from logical deep rooted fact based convictions.

Open mindedness can have a nasty habit of letting everything and anything in. Discrimination is a nice antidote.

Bloody sad how a mag like Psych Today is loosing its scientific foundations. I guess "feeling" good is better.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

While I am an independent conservative, I dont recall the repubs calling all dems that disagree with them terrorists.

I do recall them calling all liberals "gay tree-humping environmentalist wacko pagans" though

Open mindedness can have a nasty habit of letting everything and anything in. Discrimination is a nice antidote.

Good point

At some point conviction for your beliefs is a good thing, and I guess that by definition is a closed mind.
edit on 24-8-2011 by underspace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I think all this proves is that the liberals are smarter at controlling things and conservatives are smarter at controlling their urges to control everything.

It reminds me of an old saying that went something like : "The tighter your grasp is, the more likely you are to lose what you're holding onto." The exact saying was more concise, but you get the jist.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit that a PSYCHOLOGIST said this about people who are defined by POLITICAL terms in the context of FINANCES and business accumen.

Talk about a hat trick gone bad.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
I think all this proves is that the liberals are smarter at controlling things and conservatives are smarter at controlling their urges to control everything.

Isn't one of the definitions of intelligence the ability to manipulate and control the environment?

But anyhoot... what's the conservative/republican demographic for churches? Pretty sure that's about control.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by underspace
reply to post by felonius

I do recall them calling all liberals "gay tree-humping environmentalist wacko pagans" though

Good point

At some point conviction for your beliefs is a good thing, and I guess that by definition is a closed mind.

I guess that makes me a conservative then. I was a liberal at one point, I guess, but then I got tired of all the choices that I told myself I DESERVED to have because I was a white American who was born into the freedom that allowed me to have them.All those choices though led me away from who I really was and, trust me, I'm not the only one.

Having one road to travel during your lifetime isn't necessarily a bad thing, because too many roads can get you lost. And when that happens, there's only a precious few who are able to find their way back. If indeed they even WANT to come back.

I'm a conservative by choice because liberalism didn't work for me, and I'll challenge anyone to an I.Q. test, or an E.Q. test for that matter, so I can see where I measure up.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Much of the mass-media caters to sensationalist mob-mentality and divisive propaganda. How working for the media as it presents itself in the last decades indicates intelligence is anyones guess.

They used their intelligence to figure out how to max their ratings and make millions!
See! Brilliant!
LOL

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Isn't one of the definitions of intelligence the ability to manipulate and control the environment?

But anyhoot... what's the conservative/republican demographic for churches? Pretty sure that's about control.

Close. From Merriam-Webster :

a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) b Christian Science : the basic eternal quality of divine Mind c : mental acuteness : shrewdness
2a : an intelligent entity; especially : angel b : intelligent minds or mind
3: the act of understanding : comprehension
4a : information, news b : information concerning an enemy or possible enemy or an area; also : an agency engaged in obtaining such information
5: the ability to perform computer functions

In the case of what you're talking about, what this thread is talking about really, it all comes down to what your envirnment is.

Intelligence isn't so much about what or how much you control, it's more about whether you can or not.

If intelligence was all about number 5 though, I'd be a friggin' retard.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

A picture is worth a thousand words!

You would think if both political sides would just open their eyes and "honestly" reflect on how both parties are guilty of poor decision making, excessive spending, telling lies, causing wars, self- interests, political posturing, criminal activities, corporate coddling, raising taxes, taking bribes, buying votes...etc... we wouldn't be seeing threads like these.

Open your eyes people, they're one of the same!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

Doesn't matter, libertarians are by far the smartest ideological group.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Most lefties I know are also the most close minded, short sighted folks I know. Also just as easily manipulated by the media and politicians as righties are. I am not surprised a left leaning publication would come to those conclusions though. It's called propaganda.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Conservatives can shove off
Liberals can shove off
after having lived through many years of left to right to left politics
I have had enough of the partisan circus.
When you step back it seems really silly and both sides end up looking like fools
but as long as this circus goes on I guess people will keep playing the games.

every thing will be fixed once we put democrats in...........................................oh crap

everything wil be fixed when we put republicans in...........................................oh crap

everything will be fixed when Obama's president.................................................oh crap

everything will be hunky dory once the tea party gains power.............................oh crap

Wash rinse and repeat.

..........................................If Ron Paul is on the ticket I will vote for him otherwise I'm done with
this silly and disheartening game called politics

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by underspaceAt some point conviction for your beliefs is a good thing, and I guess that by definition is a closed mind.
Not quite. Got to remember that humans are balls of Freudian psychotic mental toxins. We do things that are not logical because they are natural to humanity.

It is quite possible to be open-minded yet convicted in your stance. This is a middle ground comprimise, or more eassily understood as a balanced approach. The extreme of being open-minded is being gullible. Being on mental lock-down or truely closed minded is the extreme of convicted. Generally speaking, gullibility requires 1 of 2 things: either innocence or a lack of expecting deceit or wrong-ness from the direction it is comming from. This is why it is easy for small children to be taken by a stranger. For most adults, it comes from trusting the source of the "information" due to it being something you came to a positive conclusion on.

Being closed-minded, on the other hand, is more like a defense mechanism, often due to gullibility handing you your own backside a few times. You don't even have to have been scarred from the confrontation at hand: it could just be that the particular belief being questioned is something you've geared whole years of your life around--and no one likes thinking that they wasted their life. (Think: Atheist wakes up one day staring in the face of God--how is he going to feel about what he's lived his everyday life believing? It works the same way for every religion going towards atheism, too.) No one likes seeing the value of their whole life slip away jsut from one chance change of belief. So they fight tooth and nail, never bothering to listen to the other side to see if there's a chance that they are wrong. Generally this behavior is bracketed by name-calling--so it's pretty easy to tell when someone might be doing it.

Those who seek a balance in this area are often well-informed about what they truely believe, and can argue it tooth and nail, but there's a part of them that looks at each new piece of evidence and asks, "can this invalidate my beliefs?" You're open-minded enough to note the merit of the countercliam, and if it doens't hold enough value, or stems from a mentality that is not balanced istelf, hen your opponant has done nothing but strengthen your belief. If they have a good point, and it checks out thoroughly, you fit it in to your belief system and go on about your business. 2 years down the road, the information turns out to be false, you dump it and go back to what you were convicted of from the first--unless this one undermined position left you open enough to research in the new direction and find things far more concrete than the original issue that started it.

Really a simple concept, but hard to stick with, since it is far easier to be gullible when you're guard is down and closed-minded when your guard is up.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

I dunno know about that . i hear tell Liberalism is an incurable desease . Hope i Never Catch it ! .........

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Just like the Radical Homosexual Agenda?

I suggest wearing a full-bodied plastic suit at all times.

link   

I'm not going to take a stance on this but one has to wonder why Universities across the nation (student and faculty) tend to be much more liberal. Correlation between higher education and liberalism? Dunno, but it doesn't help the conservatives in this thread I don't think

Here is a relevant article:

www.washingtonpost.com...
Speaking as a Conservative in a College setting (formerly), you mention your stance around most teachers, they go "Children of the Corn" on you. You can and do fail courses for not giving a teacher the answer that they wanted, you can and do fail courses when teacher suspects that you are a deviant, you can and do get harassed by other students for your beliefs.

Also, when you get out of high school and the job market shows that either you go into a field right out of highschool that will guarantee that you earn 60,000 a year within the first 2-3 years or you go to college, get into debt and only make 30,000, which do you choose, being someone with a high IQ? As long as the blue collar man makes way more than a college professor, an education will NEVER be a determining factor in who is smarter. Intelligent people go where the money ensures them the lifestyle they want to live--while still accounting for the risks.

link   

Originally posted by felonius
I dont recall the repubs calling all dems that disagree with them terrorists.

NO you're right

It was

"TERRORIST LOVERS"

"ANTI AMERICAN"

maybe you weren't watching FOX news

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Don't let yourself get played.
Conservatives are decent, hardworking, intelligent people.
Liberals are decent, hardworking, intelligent people.
Libertarians are decent, hardworking, intelligent people.
Divide and conquer.
Who do they think they're fooling, you?

edit on 25-8-2011 by jlv70 because: typo

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalDrivel
Speaking as a Conservative in a College setting (formerly), you mention your stance around most teachers, they go "Children of the Corn" on you. You can and do fail courses for not giving a teacher the answer that they wanted, you can and do fail courses when teacher suspects that you are a deviant, you can and do get harassed by other students for your beliefs.

I would not argue against that, per se. But I fail to see the relevancy in that to what I said?? What does that have to do with University students and faculty statistically being liberal?...

As long as the blue collar man makes way more than a college professor, an education will NEVER be a determining factor in who is smarter.

Woa woa..... What?!?

Did you really just say the person who makes more money is smarter because he/she makes more money? Interesting

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I would agree with article...I mean look at how crazy they went when FOX news reports it"S BS. They believe it as fact without actually researching it and will come on ATS and spew the words.

Sarah Palin or some other republican tells them about death panels....and they use it as a reason to hate Obama.

Some tool on a blog reports that Obama is Kenyan....boooom...it becomes fact.

So many others it is just ridiculous.

You know your in trouble when a Republican starts a sentence with "I think...."....
, because what they mean to say is...I heard it from some guy who reads this guys blog...who also has an inside source who made out with this guy from Washington...and claims...blah blah blah...
edit on 25-8-2011 by kerazeesicko because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join