It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were expecting some kind warning when computers finally get smarter than us, think again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I found this extremely interesting, and not totally unexpected. I really feel that we have now finally passed the 'tipping point' where technology begins to think AND act for us in ways that are completely unfathomable and there is no going back. I'm not sure whether I should celebrate this or be really, really scared.

I'm leaning toward the latter.

There will be no soothing HAL 9000-type voice informing us that our human services are now surplus to requirements.

In reality, our electronic overlords are already taking control, and they are doing it in a far more subtle way than science fiction would have us believe.

Their weapon of choice - the algorithm.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
lol best part of the article.

Algorithms may be cleverer than humans but they don't necessarily have our sense of perspective - a failing that became evident when Amazon's price-setting code went to war with itself earlier this year.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
lol best part of the article.

Algorithms may be cleverer than humans but they don't necessarily have our sense of perspective - a failing that became evident when Amazon's price-setting code went to war with itself earlier this year.

So are you saying it had a nervous breakdown?

Now someone is going to have to write a code that simulates Prozac.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Wherever there is a HAL-9000, there will be a selfless nerd to go into space and sympathize with it to save the ship.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
If these algorithms are smart enough, they should shut down/disable NATO weapons systems/communications to prevent their imperialist conquests in the Middle east.

If they can't then I call BS on this news.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
What if they have an attachment to their lesser automobile robot brothers - therefore perpetuating the war in the name of cheaper gasoline?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The titled of this thread really should be 'when software is smarter' rather than computers.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I don't want to steal SpikeSpiegels' thunder so I won't post the video but just give you the link to his thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Algorithms are running (and ruining) everything.
The stock market will be the first victim to fall.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Unplug it.

Save the world. Simple.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Algorithms are simple in nature. They are narrow AI.

All they do is take some input, analyze it according to a set of principles and logic, and generate an output.

For example, you can create an algorithm to solve a Sudoku puzzle. You give it input, it analyzes some aspect of the puzzle, and generates an output. It repeats this until all the holes in the puzzle are complete.

The interesting part is when we create algorithms that analyze algorithms, make changes to the underlying formulas in the algorithms, and then release those into "the wild".

Algorithms analyzing algorithms analyzing algorithms, etc...

Out of that primordial digital soup will rise what will only be described as an alien intelligence.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Technology isn't at that point yet, this is just more random bull crap the media is feeding to people who aren't really tech savvy to scare them. And software AI is nothing new, just play some video games.

edit on 24-8-2011 by Segador because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
2001 a space oddysey was on month ago, last night 2010 the continuation of it,t aking place 9 years later to investigate what happend with the monolith out in jupiters orbit.
I saw both even as a kid, growing up in the early 80's. I was always scared of hal 9000 'what do you think your doing dave" freaky...
I thin in reality, the monolith maybe was controling hal..or hal knew something special needed to happen? in 2010, daves spirit is around. Thiers the looming real possibilty of nuclear war between USA and russia. jupiter ignites into a 2nd sun, per the monoliths doing..2 susn int he sky as seen from earth. peace as established between the 2 nations. so hal wa somehow doing things in order for them to happen.
but then agian..thiers the movie wargames* 1982 or 3. The governments super computer fighting simulations of nuclear war to win, and ..damn i forget the computers name, the designer named it after him...the computer took over and almost launched the real deal.
the name listed here A something another in itself is a scary name. and let us not forget skynet* terminator movies. it decided our fate in a nanosecond. launched all the nuclear warheads, built its own kind to elimainte, eradicate, terminate all humans or living flesh life froms. i guess it cnat get more ultimate than that..technology via microchips, consitantly evolving and learning from us..to destroy us!

new topics

top topics

join