It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Neocons are at it again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
On a list of foreign interventions we have currently involved ourselves in the Neocons in the Senate have decided to try and fan the flames of something far bigger than Syria. Before departing for their five-week vacation the Senate commenced a voice vote which resulted in unanimous support for the U.S.: “to recognize Abkhazia and South Ossetia as regions of Georgia occupied by the Russian Federation.”

If the intention is trying to stir up the Russian Bear they are going about it the right way. Yet it should come as no surprise as this is the same group of people that were urging the US to intervene on Georgia’s behalf in their fight against Russia after Tbilisi invaded South Ossetia and Abkhazi back in 2008 to re-annex the breakaway regions and killed Russian peace keeping troops in the process. If South Ossetia and Abkhazi wanted to be part of Georgia they would not have expelled that country twice from their territory by force. Yet now, just like in the Kosovo issue, we are intervening in a situation we clearly do not understand or simply care not to understand.

After our intervention into Kosovo to steal that land away from the native Serbians and give it to the Albanians we recognized Kosovo as independent, at the same time Russia recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent. But of course what Russia says is irrelevant right? It is only important what the US says in international affairs thousands of miles away from our shores and which is none of our business.

As the article brought up, what if Czar Alexander II said the Russian Empire recognized the independence of Virginia and demanded that the breakaway enclave of West Virginia be returned to the Confederacy? Well I bet the Americans would be up in arms declaring it no business of a distant empire.

The Russian President Medvedev has been unreasonably nice to the United States and lenient with our threatening ideas of missile defenses in their region, support of a man who killed their troops, now demands that they return two breakaway regions to a nation which invaded to occupy them right on the Russian border, and have kept alive a Cold War designed military alliances while expanding it onto their border. Perhaps now Russia will learn the US is not here to be nice to them, the Neocons have not abandoned the Cold War mindset, and playing by the games of understanding just will not work.

It is time for Russia to get tough and start standing up against those who intentionally threaten, aggravate, and interfere in their business.

Source

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I like Medvedev,(but hey I like Gaddaffi too),Medvedev is a wise and stowic man with a lot more clout than many would acknowledge.I would not like the result that would insue.The Russians are very smart people,their style of politics is like comparing them to strategic chess players and a American politicians to vagas slot junkies.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

And yet the US will not recognize Palestine..

Not hard to figure who pulls the strings on The Hill

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
Before departing for their five-week vacation the Senate commenced a voice vote

So wait a second, congress goes on a month long vacation starting after the August 2nd debt deadline and 4 weeks later the senate goes on vacation for 5 weeks?

No wonder nothing gets done, someone is always on vacation.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

This was presumably referring to just before they left for the summer during the beginning of the month.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Didn't South Ossetia and Abkhazia claim friendship towards Russia and actively snub Georgia? If I remember correctly, these regions are also rich in natural resources.

It seems as if the US is actively staying blind to the facts on the ground.

It reminds me of that old Star Trek parody song where Kirk says, “We come in peace, Shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill.”

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Medvedev seems to be reasonably willing to go along with the so called reset with the US.
I hope for the Russian people he is an honest leader looking out for them.
However he was purported to be a creature of Putin. I hope this is not the case.
Putin will most likely run for president again after he had the laws changed so he might do so.
Putin seems to be the real power even now. His policies seemingly dragging the Russian people back to Soviet era.

Georgia is a western ally. Abkhazia and South Ossetia are part of Georgia. Russia is looking to absorb some of the territories that broke away.

The missile defense system that was to be set in Poland and Czech Republic has been scrapped.

Is it in our best interests to poke the proverbial bear? No.
Should we meekly stand by and let Russia walk over our allies? No.
I would much rather have Russia as an ally, but rolling over at the expense of another ally is hardly going to inspire respect.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4Saken
Abkhazia and South Ossetia are part of Georgia.

Says who? Last I read they had broke away from Georgia twice, as stated in the OP, because they do not wish to be part of Georgia. These 'regions' were recognized by Russia as independent states before Georgia invaded them and killed Russian peace keepers then ran to the West crying about that big bully Russia.

I pray if Georgia even tries to lay a hand on South Ossetia or Abkhazia that Russia not play nice with them again, full scale bombing and invasion of Georgia.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
S+F, I believe we will see Russia, China and the Middle East banding together for a multiprong attack against the Western powers very soon.

In fact, I am writing a book about it right now, so even if it never happens I will make it happen in a work of fiction.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

What exactly is the Middle East gonna do, carry Russia and Red China's water for them? ~SheopleNation

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
this is just crazy as hell

new topics

top topics

join