It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge "bomb" on the Thymes, UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
www.newscientist.com...

Article about a WWII US supply ship full of 1,400 Tons of bombs some of which they fear are unstable and if set off could cause massive damage.

Anyone have any details on this ??? Is this a legitimate threat ? I wonder if the Terrorists know about this... How funny that they could just sneak up on it plant a small charge and have a 1,400 Ton bomb go off. Talk about effective use of manpower. The payoff for them would be huge.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Do the terrorists know?

Well they do now!

YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Only joking, it is a concern though.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There's some pictures of ammo ship explosions from WWII on this page. It gives you some idea of what several thousand tommes of HE can do.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
www.newscientist.com...

Article about a WWII US supply ship full of 1,400 Tons of bombs some of which they fear are unstable and if set off could cause massive damage.

Anyone have any details on this ??? Is this a legitimate threat ? I wonder if the Terrorists know about this... How funny that they could just sneak up on it plant a small charge and have a 1,400 Ton bomb go off. Talk about effective use of manpower. The payoff for them would be huge.

yeah i know i sailed by it. its quite interesting.
also i doubt you could blow it up. firstly ur gona need one hell of an exsplosion to trigger a chain reaction. then your gona have to actually get it down there. then your gona need a trigger device for the trigger exsplosion.
and you gota rem the home of the SBS is not far away and that there is lots of bases near there.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
You would only need a couple of ounces of HE to touch off 1 bomb which would sympathetically trigger off the others, nothing new there.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist
You would only need a couple of ounces of HE to touch off 1 bomb which would sympathetically trigger off the others, nothing new there.

still. how you going to get the HE 2 there?
not by dropping it directly over it. theres a massive cordon off zone.
also not by sub cause theres sonar network there surely.
and divers....well theres strong currents so im not so sure, and i think its under survalence.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
A 1.4 kilotonne explosion would be relatively small compared to a nuke warhead anyway I would think, plus you don't have the aftermath of fallout.

Saying that though, I have not studied this at all and don't know quite how close in proximity it is to civilisation so to speak.... A little itty nailbomb going off in a mall is devastating compared to going off in a field for instance... So this relativly small explosion, compared to a nuke, in a busy area is going to be bad.. In the article it does say that even the fuses may be unstable, enough to start off the reaction to get the whole lot going, so I doubt it would be that hard for a suicide bomber to get the whole lot going, maybe just go in there and give it a good shake around?

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
BTW, I know my spelling is crappy, but can we change the spelling in the title from Thymes to Thames as it is a bit confusing!!!

new topics

top topics

join