Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Owner of landmark South Philly cheesesteak stand dies (death of a patriot)

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

PHILADELPHIA — Joey Vento, owner of a landmark south Philadelphia cheesesteak stand who once told customers to order in English, has died. He was 71.


The owner of a philly cheesesteak stand in philadelphia who drew scrutnity back in 2006 due to placing a sign in his place of buisness that stated "This Is AMERICA when ordering SPEAK ENGLISH!" passed away monday from a massive heart attack. after a court struggle it was ruled that Mr. Vento was not discriminating by wanting people to order in english. He was just proud of the his country and their language. It seems we have lost a great patriot.

THIS IS NOT A DEBATE ON WEATHER HE WAS RACIST OR DISCRIMINATORY OR NOT !! this is just sharing the news of his death.

www.msnbc.msn.com...




posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527
 

Seems more like a bigot than a patriot.
This Country was raped and pillaged by English speaking people
and he's proud?
Pshh.



PS, you say it's not a debate, but putting "death of a patriot" in the title
says otherwise.
edit on 24-8-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Shocking a new member that appears to be trolling, whatever next
Fair play to him, he has hit the nail right on the head that if you want to live and work in a foreign country then you live by their customs and native tongue



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by On the level
 

Native tounge? it isn't native.
a Native tongue would be the first language spoken in america.

lol. Troll.
That's funny.
Since when is disagreeing with racism trolling?
I think alot of people would agree with me.

Shocking, an old member who doesn't know what he's talking about, whatever next.

edit on 24-8-2011 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527
 


I've met the guy a few times, i use to live in Philly.

I moved when i was 8, but have gone back many times.

Me and my Dad would always go get a Cheese Steak before seeing the Eagles, Sixers, Phillies or Flyers play.

WIZ, WITOUT?



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
i think he ate too many cheesesteaks :p

bbbbBBBBUUUMMMppppp



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527
 


How is a massive heart attack the death a patriot?

Was red white and blue clogging his coronary arteries?



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
How boring..

Really, where is the fun in only speaking english.

One thing i love about Europe is learning different lanaguages and cultures... I now know a handful of lanuages and customs lol



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
ok tell me exactly how he is a bigot? because he wants people in his country to speak his language? I dont see the bigotry here I, I mean its not like he had it posted that if you dont speak english i wont serve you, if you wuld look at the video attached to the storie you would hear it many times that he never refused service to non english speaking customer. All he asked is that they put forth an effort to learn the language of the country that they are living in. I meam would you go over to mexico walk up to a taco stand and say oh can you speak english for me? NO! you are in their country you speak their language and they expect that, or try going to a restraunt in the french section of Canada and see if they will let you order in english, I doubt it. So all this man did was try to keep the primary language of his country the primary language, as far as the title gos. It is an oponion. I believe the man was a patriot . You dont have to agree with it but you have to deal with it because this is my post. (see first amendment)

Now, I appreciate your comments and feedback and i respect your oponion and i request that you do the same. if you cannot or if the title upsets you too much i ask you click away from this post you do not have to view it. thanks agian for the feedback and hope i cleared this up



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
ok tell me exactly how he is a bigot? because he wants people in his country to speak his language? I dont see the bigotry here I, I mean its not like he had it posted that if you dont speak english i wont serve you, if you wuld look at the video attached to the storie you would hear it many times that he never refused service to non english speaking customer. All he asked is that they put forth an effort to learn the language of the country that they are living in. I meam would you go over to mexico walk up to a taco stand and say oh can you speak english for me? NO! you are in their country you speak their language and they expect that, or try going to a restraunt in the french section of Canada and see if they will let you order in english, I doubt it. So all this man did was try to keep the primary language of his country the primary language, as far as the title gos. It is an oponion. I believe the man was a patriot . You dont have to agree with it but you have to deal with it because this is my post. (see first amendment)

Now, I appreciate your comments and feedback and i respect your oponion and i request that you do the same. if you cannot or if the title upsets you too much i ask you click away from this post you do not have to view it. thanks agian for the feedback and hope i cleared this up



While it is important to speak the local lanuage, and I have been in positions where the shop keeper has helped me learn their local language, it was for my own benefit too, it is a good thing, HOWEVER, it is also a 2 way street, while the immegrant ( I have been an immegrant in Europe many times in many member countries ), they also try a little to speak my language.

Both can play, and infact need to, it is also fun, learning new things.

He can try to learn their language, and they can learn his. Both have fun and learn something useful.

I think the lanugage problem is mostly an Britsh and American problem, they are the worst performers in languages in the world, a lot due to blind patriotism, stubbornness, geographic isolation (for britain, no borders onto other lanuges and no welsh or scots doesnt count lol), and bad education, and ignorance. A lot comes down to confidence, or lack there of.

Most people in europe speak at least 2 or 3 languages and even more. Some countries in europe have 2 national official languages. Very educated, very versed in multiiple languages.

I have seen Americans and British people abroad in Europe , LIVING there, and they refuse to learn the local language, they force people to speak their own language, English. That is just stupid, ignorant and bad for them integrating. I have seen this first hand with my own ears and eyes.

The worst immegrants after muslims, are the british and the americans. really.

edit on 24-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dannotz
 


let me ask if you dont mind and for the benefit of those who belive him to be a biggot, did you ever see him refuse service to anyone because of their inability to speak english?



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior
 


cant blame him haha they sure looked good



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling
 


I agree it is a two way street. I was not there so i cannot say for sure if he did trade language lessons or not. I just found it interesting that he loved his language so much he wanted others to speak it while at his shop. I love my language however i have picked up on some spanish and a tad of french throughout my lifetime.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
reply to post by JennaDarling
 


I agree it is a two way street. I was not there so i cannot say for sure if he did trade language lessons or not. I just found it interesting that he loved his language so much he wanted others to speak it while at his shop. I love my language however i have picked up on some spanish and a tad of french throughout my lifetime.


Loved english? lol it is one of the WORST lanugages out there lol

Too amgibious, very contextual, very heavy on slang usage, infact other lanuges are more precise and easier to learn.

edit on 24-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling
 


true very true, its just what ive spoken all my life and know the best, so its kinda just grown on me haha however i wold like to learn more french and a tad more spanish as well, so where do you travel to in europe?



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by JROCK2527
reply to post by JennaDarling
 


true very true, its just what ive spoken all my life and know the best, so its kinda just grown on me haha however i wold like to learn more french and a tad more spanish as well, so where do you travel to in europe?



Anywhere I get the oppertunity lol, I am a huge fan of the Nordic countries and Balkan regions.

I am always ordering lanuage books on amazon lol , I have russian and icelandic next to me right now lol.

If you want to really learn a lanuage, go live there


Even with a good language book, just say when you are doing nothing, sit reading through it for 30 minutes or so.

People read computer lanugage books or what not, so why not another lanuage


edit on 24-8-2011 by JennaDarling because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Europe can tell us all how awesome multiculturalism really is!!!!!


-insert redundant argument here for poobs-



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Europe can tell us all how awesome multiculturalism really is!!!!!


-insert redundant argument here for poobs-


It actually is.

Many people enjoy the freedom of movement, i do myself.



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JennaDarling
 


ill look into that, id like to learn a lil bit of alot of different languages haha



posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hate to hear this. My daughter really loves his Philly cheese steaks.

Here in Ohio we brought charges against a bar owner who posted a sign saying, "For service, Speak english". That is against the law. His arguement was he only spoke english and if they didn't speak english he couldn't understand them. He sauntered into the hearing with the American flag, an armload full of right-wing books and talked incessently about his rights and Fox news. All that mattered were HIS rights. I'm sorry but he doesn't have a right to break the law. Considering what I saw of him I would have to probably agree that he wouldn't have the ability to learn what "cerveza, por favor" means.

He can wrap himself in the flag all he wants he still was an obvious bigot and extremely ignorant.

(The guy in Ohio not the cheesesteak guy, mind you)





new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join