It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time To Bring Gladiator Games Back Into Society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I believe today's society could handle the brutality of it as long as it's on a volunteer basis with say like a million dollars for the prize. I would be willing to bet that once they build a coliseum for it and open trials that there would be no shortage of applicants.

Make it only available to be viewed by those who buy tickets and attend and hold the games once a year. It would sell out any size stadium they decide to build.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/97efc8705154.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a59d8cb0a900.jpg[/atsimg]

Would you be against this or not. Yes it's to the death and very brutal.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Put me in the ring with some politicans or bankers and I would swing the sword for free.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Letś be sure to have gluttonous feasts complete with trips to the vomitorium and male brothel so you can have the whole Roman experience.
Seriously dude are you really from this century?
seed

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I really hope your joking

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

We let crazy bast*ards smash each others skulls in competing in ultimate fighting tournaments with people cheering them on, so surely gladiator fights to the death shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Thank you, that was my point. If these guys choose to do it than I say let them. There was a reason it was so popular back in the day I don't see how people have changed so much where they wouldn't watch it today.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
[Caesar thumb]

I would not like to see senselessly murderous sports brought back into the limelight. I am all for boxing and full contact sports, but you stop short of murder. There is a reason it is referred to as social evolution kro. Would be a sad day if we do.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
They have this already, its called FOOTBALL

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ateuprto

Are you not delving into the realm of dictating how people should live their lives? If someone wants to go commit suicide isn't that their choice?

If two guys want to fight to the death shouldn't they have that right?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
If your stupid enough to want to get punched in the face for a living, by all means go for it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mustard seed
reply to post by kro32

Letś be sure to have gluttonous feasts complete with trips to the vomitorium and male brothel so you can have the whole Roman experience.
Seriously dude are you really from this century?
seed

I think we are going backwards...

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Would you be against this or not. Yes it's to the death and very brutal.

I'm not arguing a legal case, merely my personal perspective. I stand by my original claim that I would be extremely disappointed with humanity if we allowed this to happen.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

I think it would be more humane if we fought dangerous, ferocious animals. And then eat them raw. Imagine punching out a cow and then eating it in front of a roaring crowd; meanwhile, a chicken hides behind his steel cage praying the fighter loses his appetite. SIGN ME UP!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianC

I think it would be more humane if we fought dangerous, ferocious animals. And then eat them raw. Imagine punching out a cow and then eating it in front of a roaring crowd; meanwhile, a chicken hides behind his steel cage praying the fighter loses his appetite. SIGN ME UP!

I would propose that at fast food restaurants. You want a cheeseburger? Murder this cow then we'll serve you one. At least let people connect with their roots and get an understanding of WHAT they eat.

Your show has promise. They get more money for sacrificing weapon efficiency. $100? Here's a bow and arrow. $1000? Take a spear. $1,000,000? Take this toothpick and rubber ducky. It'd be a weird mix of Man vs. Food and Man vs. Wild.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by homeslice
reply to post by kro32

We let crazy bast*ards smash each others skulls in competing in ultimate fighting tournaments with people cheering them on, so surely gladiator fights to the death shouldn't be a problem.

You're obviously ignorant to MMA in general, as a practitioner I can assure you there is A LOT more to it than "Smashing each others skulls in" the guys I train with are some of the most intelligent and quick witted guys I know. There's nothing crazy about us , some of us just enjoy the challenge. Wladmir Klitschko is the Current World Heavyweight title holder in boxing, the guy has a PhD and speaks Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, German and English.

To me it's a getaway , there is no worrying about the world , bills, politics, etc... just my opponants strengths , weaknesses and how to exploit them. There are those of us that like to experience more to life than sitting on a couch and watching football (a sport which has a higher propencity for injury than MMA) , or infront of a computer.

These are the guys that skydive, scuba dive, the guys mountain climbing or road racing. I feel ALIVE when fighting , it gets out aggression which in turn lowers my overall stress in life. At the end of the day some of us still have that "Warrior Gene" I guess , There are those of us that run Towards Gunfire instead of away, there are those of us that take action when we see wrong doing instead of looking around for a hero. Marines, Soliders, Sailors, PJ's, Firemen, LEO's and your average civillian sheepdog are cut from this cloth. It's one of those things that if it needs to be explained to you , you don't have it and will never get it.

I watch MMA & boxing because I understand it, it's like watching a chessmatch to me. A UFC fighter named Kenny Florian once indicated that he believed introspective and intelligent people were drawn to the sport of MMA because of, "the strategy of it, the mental game. Analyzing your opponent, analyzing yourself? your own strengths and weaknesses? and coming up with a game plan and executing it. There's a tremendous amount of skill and strategy that goes on."

As far as the "Gladiator Games" coming into society, I'm all for it under the condition that anyone that watches is entered into a lottery or draft to fight in the next one.

I'll pass, I've seen enough carnage in my life, you can catch me on the mat or in the ring... where it's safe!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I'm surprised we don't already have it. Bread and circuses... ahhh, well there is football, baseball,c,d,e,f, etc.
Perhaps something like The Running Man? Well, same thing really.
The masses are already partially lobotomized, and distracted as it is.
Sure, why not!...You've got my vote. Let's see how low we can go. People would eat it up. Wasn't American Gladiators one of the hottest shows for awhile? Let's not water it down this time- full blown deathmatch! Let the Parade of the Absurd run rampant.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I do not believe that our society could handle the gladitorial games as they were held in ancient Rome. Not that I disagree with the concept of the ancient games. It is important to realize that their entire world view was completely "different" from ours, and that we cannot judge the ancient Romans based on our standards of civility. In many ways they confronted death, and had a better appreciation for life, than many people do today. The majority of us are spectators today, in life, in war, in everything.... however, the Romans knew far better than most of us about the fleeting nature of life, the risks for freedom, and the value of honor and character. Many of those put inot the gladitorial rings were either political dissenters, unrully slaves, or professional sportsmen. We have our methods of punishment and sport, and they had theirs. There is absolutely no way that people in our society today would understand the significance of the ancient fights as they were understood by the Romans.
edit on 24-8-2011 by TheAncientsKnew because: Misspelling

top topics

join