It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Tonight marks the 85,882nd time the Western Hemisphere has spun into night since the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Seems like a lot, but it's only about 3.35 average 70-year Human lifespans. So in the time it has taken three men to live and die, America has effectively come full circle - from tyranny by the king, to revolution, through civil war, through exploding onto the world stage like Justin Bieber at toddler's birthday party, and now back to tyranny. We have effectively put ourselves in checkmate in less time than it took China to invent the fork.

Speaking of China, I think at this point we should all feel a little bit like a woman left at the altar for a bridesmaid. There we were, ready to live happily ever after, arm in arm with the rest of the world, when out of nowhere our future was snatched away by a petite, feisty little nobody who would still be living in the gutter and eating out of garbage bins if it weren't for us.

Of course, brides who get dumped at the altar usually have only themselves to blame for not seeing it coming, and we're probably no different. After all, the wedding rings we picked out did look suspiciously like handcuffs, and we have had fairly regular bouts of forgetting to maintain our... personal zones.

This metaphor is falling apart a lot like everything we ever hoped we could have been. And that's a shame, since really we're still a young, spry country. There's probably a few of us alive right now whose great-great-grandfathers actually witnessed the formation of our country. We should still be able to smell the jubilation of our revolution in the air. Maybe we do smell it. But maybe, like the bride left at the altar, the roses and incense don't offer much solace when the whole reason for the celebration has danced out the door and left us standing here like idiots, holding a bouquet of shoddy, odorless, plastic flowers that say "made in China" on the cellophane. To match the dress.

But then, maybe we never really intended to follow through with that "Happily ever after" part. Maybe we were in it for the pomp and circumstance of the wedding all along, too eager to show off just how Grown-Up we were, and too wrapped up in the joy of our inevitable rise to the top to give a second thought about what we'd do when we got there. And after 85,882 raunchy one-night stands in a row, maybe we really need a let down like this.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by vexati0n

Quality post, my friend.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Very well said.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I respectfully disagree with your entire thread.

What is this Tyranny that exists today that hasn't always been there? Mind you, I have my history books by my side so be prepared.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

As Oscar Wilde put it best... "America had often been discovered before Columbus, but it had always been hushed up." Or better yet... "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

That glorious man states everything EVER so much better than I could hope to!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Impressive post from someone who recently joined. You have made an excellent contribution to this forum, and I look forward to reading more from you.
However you have missed a few talking points, so I'll add them for you: Niburu, Reptoids, Comet Elenin, China, Japanese lanterns, and "It's all CGI."
SnF

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
I respectfully disagree with your entire thread.

What is this Tyranny that exists today that hasn't always been there? Mind you, I have my history books by my side so be prepared.

Tyranny has so many faces. I would say that the Tyranny we have now is much worse than the kind we started out with, for it is not the Tyranny of a King, or of a Noble Class, or even of the Rich and Powerful. Those are all different species of oppression, and they have all had their day at the top of the Great American Dogpile. Today, though, we are oppressed not by mere Systems, not by conspiracies against the public good, not by anything at all except by ourselves, or more specifically, by our own inability to achieve our ideals.

Today we can't point to a Ruler and blame him for our woes. We can't say "Oh, that dirty rotten Congress, they make this place so miserable!" We do say that, but truthfully, Congress does what we convene it to do: rule us, because we are too busy and too distracted to rule ourselves.

We have erected this great system of Self-Government, and we have put it into motion, and it turns out that even at our best, we eventually will turn on ourselves. The tyranny we put up with now is not at the hands of some global Elite, because let's face it -- there are more of Us than there are of Them. If we really had it in us to make this country (or this planet) a better place, I suspect we would have done it by now.

So today we have not only come full circle back to Tyranny, but we have, marvelously, achieved the precise opposite of what we set out to achieve. Instead of a system engineered to guard the People against oppression, we have hobbled together a mish-mash of screw ups, oversights, and corruption, and it has effectively barricaded us from our original intent. We escaped the Tyranny of the King for the Tyranny of our own inevitable and unavoidable mediocrity.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I agree with most of your post. But not the tyranny part. Our politicians leave something to be desired and can be just plain stupid sometimes, but tyranny no. I live here, I do what I want, say what I want, go where I want, worship and believe how I choose, work in the field I choose, spend my money (after taxes lol) on what I want, ect....Just as long as I don't hurt or push myself on other people I do, think and say what ever the hell I want and everyone just leaves me to it and doesn't care. Where's the tyranny honestly? It isn't a part of my life in anyway, I just don't see it.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Well that was very well written. However I would disagree that we have come full circle. I would equate it to traveling in a straight line neither rising or falling. The world hasn't gotten better compared to the past but it certainly hasn't gotten worse.

It just changed colors.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300
I agree with most of your post. But not the tyranny part. Our politicians leave something to be desired and can be just plain stupid sometimes, but tyranny no. I live here, I do what I want, say what I want, go where I want, worship and believe how I choose, work in the field I choose, spend my money (after taxes lol) on what I want, ect....Just as long as I don't hurt or push myself on other people I do, think and say what ever the hell I want and everyone just leaves me to it and doesn't care. Where's the tyranny honestly? It isn't a part of my life in anyway, I just don't see it.

Your life is possible because the system it exists in has been manufactured and sustained up to now by the untenable positions taken by the politicians you write off as simply "stupid." Though I agree they can be stupid, and I also agree that probably none (or very few) of them intend to be a Tyrant, I still think we are living in a tyrannical system. This is a system that is wholly unsustainable, and will collapse at the expense of every single one of the liberties you enjoy now, unless the entire character and intention of our political system is radically changed.

We cannot realistically continue to subsist on a diet of back-room political shenanigans, war, and deficits in trade and the general budget. The lifestyle you think is completely separate from the system as a whole absolutely depends on that system's continued viability -- and it has no continued viability.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Well that was very well written. However I would disagree that we have come full circle. I would equate it to traveling in a straight line neither rising or falling. The world hasn't gotten better compared to the past but it certainly hasn't gotten worse.

It just changed colors.

In terms of quality of life perhaps. But what do we revolt against when this master shows its true colors? Forget the Emperor having no clothes - this royal gown has no Emperor!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Not sure what you mean by that, could you elaberate?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Awesome post! For a while they realy had us going there. Some say she only wanted him for a green card, othes say he had a toe fetish which she couldnt quite get used to. /

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by kingsac

I'm just saying that the culprit behind America's present malaise is less "Evil International Bankers" and more "Ew, C-SPAN, change it to Lost." Our collective dissatisfaction with the political system is almost comical given the intensity of our collective ignorance and apathy toward it in better times. We can't very well tell the government to get out of our way when when any other time we are either using the government to get in someone else's way, or ignoring it completely. It's a government. It will fill a vacuum pretty fast, that's the nature of government.

So now, who exactly is to blame for everything we like to complain about? It's my position that blaming anyone at all is missing the point. It isn't that anyone has conspired against us, or tricked us, or sold us a bill of goods. It is that, ultimately, we just aren't up to the task of staying Free. We are in charge of our own destinies, and that's as true in bad times as it is in good times.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
alright by only beef here

is china didnt invent the fork because if they did what are chopsticks the most prevalent kitchen utensial in most of asia?

from tyranny to freedom and back to tyranny we have come full circle

the only thing let to do is well

stick a fork in us were done.

edit on 24-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiskyKisses

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

LMAO that is 100 percent true. I've never thought of that.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Well hopefully we can fix this mess and I will have a chance to have 85,882 raunchy one night stands myself . Got any suggestions how to take off our wedding dress and put our big girl pants back on?

lol your wording is so elegant
edit on 24-8-2011 by billy197300 because: add

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Is that you, Mr. Durden?... Brilliant post, man. I'd love to come up with some clever retort such as "the bride is armed and pissed as heck and she's had enough" or some such nonsense, but it just won't hold any weight, and it won't ring true.
As sad as it is, you may be right. I'm having a hard time accepting that, but DAMN. I have to keep some semblance of hope. People like you and I are out there, however greatly outnumbered we may be. If there is still a spark, then there must still be a chance.
I have to believe that - for what is the alternative?
Anyway, great post. S+F

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
We've been conditioned for contentness in this Unites States of Misconception.

The significance of reality today is unseen while people are imprisoned within their imaginations.

This so-called Land of Liberty has long been flooded with the fountain of fantasy, and someone needs to pull the damn plug already.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Okay, first;
Am I the only one that can see the 'bride' analogy to be sexist?
I hate to be a hater, but this just is wrong. You have a billion words at your disposal and the ones you pick are putting women in the lower end of the scale?
There are an abundant of resources to enable you to make a point but you have to use the down trodden woman. While (I am guessing) not being one. Or having ever been dumped at the altar.
Please remember to not make your point while using anothers misery.
Second; On Topic;
This country is being lobbied, insured to death in my opinion. Not left any where. They love us, no where else would the TBTB find anyone who will support them.
We could only hope (to use your analogy, derogatory as it is) they would leave us at the altar.
I do not believe that as a nation we are ignoring our country, I believe we are just trying to make a living and get by. I also have faith that if anyone pushes the average person into an corner we will fight back. But until that happens, we will just go along paying our bills and trying to survive as best we can. Everyone knows the Congress is bought and paid for. But having no realistic way to combat that, we just keep on keeping on.

JMO

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join