It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dawn the Remake and the Rewrite for Cash or Political Correctness

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

this is what i sound like since im a bot

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
First of all, I cannot believe they have even attempted to remake Red Dawn in any way, shape or form. Ludicrous and stupid. There is just no believable scenario they can come up with that could replicate the unique set of global geopolitical circumstances that were in place in 1984 when the original was released. Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the stupidity of this remake venture.

Secondly, movie remakes in general are detestable because the vast majority of them SUCK and are the result of laziness and greed on the part of the producers and studios who do them. The memories I have of seeing Red Dawn as a teen are somewhat sacrosanct. It conjures images of a cool, darkened, basement family room with all the other kids in my neighborhood on a hot summer afternoon, laying about on the floor or on beanbag chairs, eating fudge pops and potato chips while we watch the movie over and over again, probably for the 10th time that week, dizzy with newborn patriotism and our unanimous agreement that we would do the same thing if those commies tried to take over our corner of America!!!! For me, and I would guess a substantial number of others of my generation, Red Dawn was responsible for igniting the first sparks of patriotism in my young heart. It is a gross understatement to say it is a favorite movie of mine.

Thirdly, it is uncool to try and use the imminent remake as an opportunity to bash one United States political party over another. The original was a paean to the American spirit of perseverance despite overwhelming adversity and the basic human instinct to defend one's land, life, family, and freedom from outside foreign threats regardless of the odds. Attempting to use the imminent release of the remake as an opportunity to bash one United States political party over another is, I believe, directly contradictory to the patriotic message of the original film.

I know there are many who believe Red Dawn to be a celebration of conservatism (though I obviously do not see it that way). I also know that many believe Hollywood to be wholly and completely run by liberals, but who do you think developed and produced the original Red Dawn? Ummm, that would be Hollywood, folks.

Oh, and by the way:
WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by dalloway

Dalloway, I totally love your post! The movie stirred patriotism in me as well. As the old saying goes, "they don't make em like that anymore!".

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
yeah most people think that but hollywood of the 80s is long gone where greatitous sex and violence of the rambos the robocops and the porkeys have been replaced with

the likes of brokeback mountain, the birdcage and reality tv growing up in the 80s was the time and now has become liberally progressive.

thats a fact hollywood of today is a far cry from what it use to be.
edit on 24-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The original version was a Cuban invasion if I remember correctly...so really Russian as they were allied with them at the time. It was a great movie and has been the theme of my nightmares for years.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

All I got out of this post was Hollywood, evil liberals, yadda-yadda.

Don't you have something more important to complain about?

Yep, you! Your like the liberal crusader stamping out perceived injustices to the liberal cause anywhere you find them. I don't think anyone on this planet can say with a straight face hollywood doesn't hang a little to the left, can they?

The point of the thread was stating that bending to the will of Chinese pressure the antagonist in the new Red Dawn movie was changed to North Korea, a slightly LESS intimidating opponent. Making this movie that much more unrealistic and possibly ruining a movie all fans of the original movie were looking forward too.

So please get off your high donkey.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
To be honest nobody invading the united states is remotely credible. Suicidal attack resulting in megadeath, maybe. Invasion no.

It just goes to show hollywood is scraping the bottom for credible bad guys. Hence all the alien invasion movies.

You might find you're Chinese invasion appears in a low budget cable channel knock off 'Red Dawning' or some such. Troy McClure or Lorenzo Lamas to star :-)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fooks

chinadivide.com...

What the Chinese think of the new Red Dawn... Kinda sad how stupid they think we really are. Read the comments at the bottom in particular. The original Red Dawn was 80s camp at its best, yet still makes me feel patriotic. I know in my heart the remake will be aweful, but at the same time, the fact that a simple movie like this will possibly upset so many chinese is laughable but a reality.

I have a great idea for a movie, it would follow a group of highschool students who carry around little red books and terrorize intellectuals. If I made such a movie, would the chinese still view it as mindless propaganda or as a history lesson? Whenever I chat with a chinese person online, I always bring up Political and Religious oppression in their country, usually starting with the fact that last years Nobel Peace Prize winner is in prison. Some agree with me and insist their country needs to open up, and others spount mindless propaganda, and insult the US, calling us corrupt... Even if corruption and bribes are just as prevelant in China.

Perhaps the analogy I am trying to draw is that there are patriots who believe everything they are told in both countries. Are we really so different after all?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join