It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Dawn the Remake and the Rewrite for Cash or Political Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

n March 2011, the Los Angeles Times reported that MGM is changing the villains in its Red Dawn remake from Chinese to North Korean in order to maintain access to China's lucrative box office. The changes reportedly cost less than $1 million and involve changing an opening sequence summarizing the story's fictional backdrop, re-editing two scenes and using digital technology to transform many Chinese symbols to Korean. The changes will not eliminate all references to China though will give North Korea a much larger role in the coalition that invades the U.S. Producer Trip Vinson stated, "We were initially very reluctant to make any changes, but after careful consideration we constructed a way to make a scarier, smarter and more dangerous 'Red Dawn' that we believe improves the movie."[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

Growing up i liked this movie as a child i was one of the many millions of americans who grew up during the cold war at least a good chunk of it.

So i was browsing looking for something new to watch for the End of The World As We Know it movie genre my personal favorites and a good source of things that i am not thinking of at the moment not that hollylame has ever gotten anything remotely right.

I was looking for the release date of Red Dawn and lo and behold it was shelved rewritten and who knows when it will ever come out.

So ats will ask hey neo what does this have to do with poltical madness and my reply is simple:

Hello hollywood with its left wing slant for decades.

So here is my problems why does it have to be rewritten and make north korea the bad guy what was wrong with china being the villian?

hey lots of bad things happen in that capitalists communist utopia so many people seem to be defending lately and sure do not ever want to upset with a little movie remake.

So ats is it being poltically correct or just pandering the chinese cash and people guess what the number 1 grossing movie in china was?

edit on 23-8-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I read somewhere (on ATS I think) that China threatened to ban the movie, so Hollywood changed the villain. Maybe just a rumor, but Hollywood is about the dinero and wouldn't want to lose that market.

Can't beat the original theme though (Soviet/US Cold War foes) and an NK invasion scenario is so far-fetched it ruins the concept of the movie. Pfft...

ETA:
A movie has already been made about a Chinese invasion of Australia for resources, I believe. Same concept though, ultimately the Chinese were challenged by a bunch of Aussie youth... China did not come out looking like a worthy Foe. Bear in mind, this was an Australian made film, FWIW.

edit on 24-8-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

LOL

THE MOVE IS ABOUT A NORTH KOREAN INVASION

BWAHASHAHAHHAASLDKJF'___'KFJSLDF

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH

*gasp*

BLLAKHSLJHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

I"M GOING TO DIE NOW

I HAVE HEARD IT ALL\

THE END

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

All I got out of this post was Hollywood, evil liberals, yadda-yadda.

Don't you have something more important to complain about?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sorry but China just isn't that threatening when you hear about all our business deals and all the company's moving over there. Just not believable they'd attack us.

North Korea on the other hand has predicted our doom many times and seems a much more logical threat. In the original movie it was the Evil Russians, our mortal enemy, so to stay true to the concept they need a sinister villian in this one.

Of course there might be some politics involved but it does make more sense. China's just not that frightening.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
china people is the biggest threat this country and the wrold will ever know

and that is a fact over 1.5 billion people and they have the cash and resources to expand just about everywhere

make no mistake china today is what russia use to be but true to form even back during the cold war

people buried their heads in the sands sayin meh so what.....

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

DOOOOOOOOD C'MON

It's a movie for the general public who doesn't know anything more about China than where the local restaraunt is. You hang out on ATS as much as me and know this subject well.

Your smarter than the average bear but the movie going audience isn't afraid of China.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

:yeah those people who loved avatar seemed oblvious to the anti corporate bs james cameron is famous for.

so same thing different subject matter china good north korea bad

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Progressives worship at the alter of Mao. They deny it in polite company but in reality admire the acts of people like Mao and Stalin. No real secret here.

They want the world to forget the slaughter of innocents that lead to modern China. I'd imagine the average Chinese who cannot travel is totally unaware of China's history with Communism and Brutal Dictatorships. Rewriting history has always been part of the Progressive Agenda. Even Hitler used it to his great advantage and more or less followed the same blueprint.

A couple of decades and all my generation will be gone and no doubt they will completely rewrite history again. In the next version, China, the Soviet Union and people like Mao, Stalin and Hitler will be Hero's. It's already started. Just review the histories of Obama's team before their real histories disappear.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by neo96

All I got out of this post was Hollywood, evil liberals, yadda-yadda.

Don't you have something more important to complain about?

Does the fact history is being rewritten not bother you. You prefer fiction? Amazing. I always thought liars and being lied to in any way is a bad thing. Unless it serves the liars purpose of deception I guess.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I think changing the main villain to North Korea is just laughable.

I don't get the capitulation to Chinese sympathies thing. This shows everyone exactly how stupid being PC is. The movie is about communist trying to take over the USA and in the end the freedom loving capitalist win. Is this storyline really expected to draw many Chairman Mao lovers into the theaters despite whatever name or nation you call the bad guys?

Anyone with a lick of sense would have just left the movie as is, keep a believable foe and let it ooze patriotism. It probably would have done well in the US then. Then again, common sense and patriotism are two things California and Hollywood have lacked for decades. We will be lucky if it makes it as a straight to DVD flick.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Wolf321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Which is funny because the Russians needed some help from the Cubans to pull it off.

PRNK would need serious help and I have no idea where else in Pacific Rim or Asia that they would get it other than China. It was the Geopolitics of Red Dawn that gave birth to the Red Dawn Scenario and why maintaining cooperation and friendly ties in South American countries is important to US policy.

North Korea would need more than Hugo Chavez to help them out. But again, just a movie so meh

Still, I hate that they lose such a strong part of the film in the remake.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

hollywood sure has changed in the last 60yrs. of course they had lots to work with back then that was non pc.

i think it was "easy rider" that did it.

making the Nk's the bad guys is not the smartest move,

even making china the bad guys is idiotic.

no one will buy it.

it's that sequel/remake curse too.

it won't be made unless they win and that won't happen, lol!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
But Red Dawn already got a remake by the same writer
It was called Homefront and it was a video game for the Xbox 360 and Ps3.

How about something original for once instead of remaking the same 'durr hurr invasion from other country" propaganda.

It sucks that all movies and video games these days are samey, its like we are in a creative recession.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Well it was originally Russia teamed up with South American Marxist since everyone in the Reagan era knew S America was being overrun by communist insurgents and guerillas. You know, the whole Che Guevara thing. Hollywood will definitely have a new leftist spin on it, since the original one was done with Reaganesque pro-America ideals.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Wow, you were actually born and raised in America, Neo?

I always thought that you were an immigrant who was just overzealous about the politics of his new homeland, or maybe a foreigner trying to warn Americans about the evils of liberalism.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Torgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

...A couple of decades and all my generation will be gone and no doubt they will completely rewrite history again. In the next version, China, the Soviet Union and people like Mao, Stalin and Hitler will be Hero's. It's already started. Just review the histories of Obama's team before their real histories disappear.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Blaine. There are many examples of "Rewriting" history. It has become so blatant even historians are now commenting on it.

... Over the last quarter-century, historians have by and large ceased writing about the role of ruling elites in the country's evolution. Or if they have taken up the subject, they have done so to argue against its salience for grasping the essentials of American political history. Yet there is something peculiar about this recent intellectual aversion, even if we accept as true the beliefs that democracy, social mobility, and economic dynamism have long inhibited the congealing of a ruling stratum. This aversion has coincided, after all, with one of the largest and fastest-growing disparities in the division of income and wealth in American history....

Neglecting the powerful had not been characteristic of historical work before World War II. hnn.us...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
If they include the scenes where all of the Chinese military hardware is being painted over with NK symbols, have the NK's speak Mandarin, I'm OK with that. More truth their than some realize. Reminds me of Charlie Wilsons war, just the players have been changed around. Now if the premise is that NK seouly (pun) attacks the USA, that's ridiculously stupid.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Torgo

yeah man born and bred in the good old usa

where it was the red white and blue and moms apple pie and baseball and the sons of liberty ran supreme over the despotism over the commie pinko liberals.

god bless america man and blank

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

they would probably starve on the way over.

at least we would see them coming.

i forget what happened in the original, where was the military?

unless they EMP'd the whole world, which they would be at a stupid disadvantage themselves to do that.

been a while since i seen it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join