It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interaction between comet Elenin and coronal mass ejection from the Sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Sorry if this is a repost but i searched elenin and CME and this article and vid didnt show up...Leonid posted this very short video on his FB page today. You may have to play it several times to see the CME hitting the comet...

Very interesting to see, here is a corresponding article...

spaceobs.org...

edit on 23-8-2011 by Krystian because: deleted

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm not following the Elenin Story.... but that is a cool video thanks OP

edit on 23-8-2011 by NewsWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
haha its funny how people just seem to get furious at the mentioning of elenin,,,even though no one even knows what it is yet.......disregarding what michio kaku and other astrophysicists have to say.....the astronomers say its nothing but the astrophysicists are like wtf........................and if anyone has been following nasa reports on it ,they have been wrong all along because they have changed their # like a thousand times....their trajectory is calculated ,its not even accurate....they should be able to see the license plate on the damn thing,,where are the good pics,,,none jjust crap!!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
hmm what if when elenin lines up with the earth and the sun, a CME goes off picking up the comets toxic contents in the wave and spewing them on earth?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Frank, thats called a Flux Transfer Event. I have been warning for about a year that the fluff could we are going through and a couple more links will be like four people holding hands and one touching the door knob. it goes to the end.

Things are lining up and hopefully we get past the crackle.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Can Our Sun Produce a Killer Flare?

(NASA) The short answer to this is “no”. The longer answer is a little more involved. Whilst a solar flare from out Sun, aimed directly at us, could cause secondary problems such as satellite damage and injury to unprotected astronauts and blackouts, the flare itself is not powerful enough to destroy Earth, certainly not in 2012. I dare say, in the far future when the Sun begins to run out of fuel and swell into a red giant, it might be a bad era for life on Earth, but we have a few billion years to wait for that to happen.

There could even be the possibility of several X-class flares being launched and by pure bad luck we may get hit by a series of CMEs and X-ray bursts, but none will be powerful to overcome our magnetosphere, ionosphere and thick atmosphere below. “Killer” solar flares have been observed on other stars. In 2006, NASA’s Swift observatory saw the largest stellar flare ever observed 135 light-years away. Estimated to have unleashed an energy of 50 million trillion atomic bombs, the II Pegasi flare will have wiped out most life on Earth if our Sun fired X-rays from a flare of that energy at us.

However, our Sun is not II Pegasi. II Pegasi is a violent red giant star with a binary partner in a very close orbit. It is believed the gravitational interaction with its binary partner and the fact II Pegasi is a red giant is the root cause behind this energetic flare event.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by avatarded1

Hi there, unfortunatly we can't predict a comet's trajectory very accurately due to the fact that a lot of things can alter it.

For one, just take the heat from the sun or anything else can melt a little part of ice and expel gas from inside the comet. If that happens, this can act like a propeller and change the trajectory.

Same thing if a meteor hits it.

Peace out.
edit on 23-8-2011 by bigwig22 because: typo

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
im curious how events like this could effect elenin.

Could this cme or several more cause it to slow down/change course even if slightly?

could the solar winds of cme's like this wipe away the comets coma or cause it to expand?

i know in past threads it has been stated, almost as fact, that what is shown in that video couldn't even ever happen but yet...there it is, now what happens if it keeps happening? we are heading into the height of the solar maximum and even nasa thinks that there is cause for concern when it comes to increased solar activity and elenin isnt at perihelion yet.

thanks for the vid, i really enjoy seeing pics elenin and this vid is even better.

ETA: this is the first elenin thread i have flagged in a long time

edit on 24-8-2011 by RadicalRebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

The comet's tail is wispy in the extreme. It is a better vacuum than can be produced in laboratories. The tail exists because of the solar wind, pushing material away from the coma. It isn't surprising, but it is pretty cool, that the gusts of the solar wind affect the tail.

Here's what the tail of comet Enke did in 2007. No it doesn't affect the orbit of comet. As tiny as a comet is, it is too massive and moving too fast to be pushed around by the solar wind. Space Exploration might have been a better forum for this thread though, it has nothing to do with Earth.

edit on 8/24/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Krystian

This is what i was afraid of, how the sun would react when Elenin got closer, one on the 24th and no this one today?Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth

Nasa scientists braced for 'solar tsunami' to hit earth
The earth could be hit by a wave of violent space weather as early as Tuesday after a massive explosion on the sun, scientists have warned. This event happened today August 27th

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Does anyone know if these were directed towards Elenin? Is this why NASA issued the warning of flares last week? Also the sun woke from diminishing sunspots to be peppered with sunspots on the 26th? Also, another post i read on another site indicated that Elenin might not survive perihelion?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

I guess you didn't notice this:

Andrew Hough

By Andrew Hough

9:00PM BST 02 Aug 2010

www.telegraph.co.uk...

There was no CME or any other particular solar activity today.
edit on 8/27/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Elenin posted about the CME today as well...

Its said to reach us monday night -> tuesday, but who knows what it actually will do on earth....if anything..

In the grand scheme of things, its truly undeniable that S is HTF relatively quick leading up to OCT...

THe most this can do on earth is disrupt the satellites and communication, from what I have researched.

All summer I just had a weird feeling about the sun how its hotter than before, not in terms of weather and daily tempature but literally the sun rays themselves are hotter...

It could be a 70 degree day but stick your arm out into the sun for three mins and it begins to burn...

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is the link Leo posted today...

CME 0036: Three days before hitting Elenin

Not saying that this will devastate anything, but its good to keep an eye out.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by avatarded1

haha its funny how people just seem to get furious at the mentioning of elenin,,,even though no one even knows what it is yet.......disregarding what michio kaku and other astrophysicists have to say.....the astronomers say its nothing but the astrophysicists are like wtf........................and if anyone has been following nasa reports on it ,they have been wrong all along because they have changed their # like a thousand times....their trajectory is calculated ,its not even accurate....they should be able to see the license plate on the damn thing,,where are the good pics,,,none jjust crap!!!

Would you mind backing this rant up with some links? To the best of my knowledge Michio Kaku has never said anything about this comet, and astrophysicists rarely bother with this little neighborhood.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by avatarded1

No, "people" get furious because yet again there is another dumbass thread on a COMET that is not going to get anywhere near us and even if it did full on strike the Earth the result would be disappointing at best.

Finally, would you PLEASE learn some punctuation? I see you've finally discovered the spell checker, that's a good thing but bashing the sh*t out of your keyboard with periods and commas does not lend itself to making your post easy to read. In fact it's like trying to read a Rorschach test. Look it up.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Did you notice the timestamp on the video? The CME occurred 11 days ago. It was on the far side of the Sun from Earth. It had no effect.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Did you notice the timestamp on the video? The CME occurred 11 days ago. It was on the far side of the Sun from Earth. It had no effect.

Of course we can look back on how a CME effects a comet. C/2002 V1 was pounded by a CME and what happened? The tail was "kinked" slightly.

en.wikipedia.org...

Comet NEAT earned the same conspiracy bull as Elenin has... yet again history repeats itself.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

sorry about that, will be more careful with checking for the actual date of the report, when i searched for CME'S for Aug 27th, this article was found and i missed that

top topics

join