It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Fracking Cause the Virginia Earthquake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Did Fracking Cause the Virginia Earthquake?

www.opednews.com

The Research Evidence

I think it's really hard to deny there's a connection when the frequency of Arkansas earthquakes dropped by two-thirds when the Arkansas Oil and Gas Commission banned fracking (see www.huffingtonpost.com...). Note that they didn't stop entirely, which suggests that fault disruption may persist even after fracking stops.

Braxton County West Virginia also experienced a marked reduction in their quakes after the West Virginia Oil and Gas Commission forced fracking companies to cut back on the pressu
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.alternet.org
lunaticoutpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
5.9 Magnitude Quake Rocks Washington D.C. Region
Halliburton Exec Takes Swig of Fracking Fluid...
FRACKING SUSPENDED! Due to connection Earthquakes, We did it !!
Get your fracking hands off my Yellowstone !! Gas Companies plan to Drill on Yellowstone's doorstep

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I thought it very strange for a series of earthquakes to happen on the east coast, and although not impossible, and not very probable, it still remains only speculation as to what caused the earthquakes other than the obvious geological reasons that earthquakes occur...or does it?

Someone, I believe maybe in ATS here educated me recently to the fact act of "fracking", or hydraulic-fracturing,
For those of you not familiar with hydraulic-fracturing, here's an wiki article on it:
en.wikipedia.org...

Hydraulic fracturing, often called fracking, fracing[a] or hydrofracking, is the process of initiating and subsequently propagating a fracture in a rock layer, employing the pressure of a fluid as the source of energy.[1] The fracturing, known as a frack job (or frac job),[2][3] is done from a wellbore drilled into reservoir rock formations, in order to increase the extraction rates and ultimate recovery of oil and natural gas and coal seam gas. Hydraulic fractures may be natural or created by human activity, and are extended by internal fluid pressure which opens the fracture and causes it to extend through the rock. Natural hydraulic fractures include igneous dikes, sills and fracturing by ice as in frost weathering. Man-made fluid-driven fractures are formed at depth in a borehole and extend into targeted formations. The fracture width is typically maintained after the injection by introducing a "proppant" into the injected fluid. Proppant is a material, such as grains of sand, ceramic, or other particulates, that prevent the fractures from closing when the injection is stopped.

I went to a Facebook page that's against hydraulic fracturing, and posed a question, and this article was posted in response. I think it sheds some very interesting light onto the subject of hydraulic fracturing, and the dangers it can pose, and sites numerous studies, and even the state of Arkansas has banned this time of mining. It also implies that most likely, the cause is from hydraulic fracturing. If so, we REALLY need to get in touch with law makers, and have them follow suit with Arkansas lawmakers, a federal mandate to protect our land, and our lives.

www.opednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 23-8-2011 by N34Li3Z because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

According to geologists, it isn't the fracking itself that is linked to earthquakes, but the re-injection of waste salt water (as much as 3 million gallons per well) deep into rock beds. Braxton County West Virginia (160 miles from Mineral) has experienced a rash of freak earthquakes (eight in 2010) since fracking operations started there several years ago. According to geologists fracking also caused an outbreak of thousands of minor earthquakes in Arkansas (as many as two dozen in a single day). It's also linked to freak earthquakes in Texas, western New York, Oklahoma and Blackpool, England (which had never recorded an earthquake before). Industry scientists deny the link to earthquakes, arguing that energy companies have been fracking for nearly sixty years. However it's only a dozen years ago that "slick-water fracks" were introduced. This form of fracking uses huge amounts of water mixed with sand and dozens of toxic chemicals like benzene, all of which is injected under extreme pressure to shatter the underground rock reservoir and release gas trapped in the rock pores. Not only does the practice utilize millions of gallons of freshwater per frack (taken from lakes, rivers, or municipal water supplies), the toxic chemicals mixed in the water to make it "slick" endanger groundwater aquifers and threaten to pollute nearby water-wells. Horizontal drilling and multi-stage fracking (which extend fractures across several kilometres) were introduced in 2004.

Number of Earthquakes in the United States for 2000 - 2011 Located by the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

Stole my thread huh

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've seen stories on Fracking causing local water from a tap to become flammable.
They claim that it doesn't affect ground water but this story seems to refute that.

If earth quakes are found to be a result of this process, it will be as hard fought and controversial as global warming.

In the words of Farscape: Frack!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
found this when doing more searching on this subject:

www.intellicast.com... (click on the earthquake icon)

This is from a guy on youtube talking about CRATON and earthquake swarms.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by N34Li3Z

Stole my thread huh

Hey, sorry, I just looked at your profile and saw your thread; honestly, I did a search on ATS for the words "fracking" and "Virginia", and your thread didn't come up for some reason, I did link some threads on fracking that I did find though, so I'm sorry for the theft, lol. Credit goes to you sir, I see you posted it earlier today.

Here's his thread:www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 23-8-2011 by N34Li3Z because: giving credit where credit's due

new topics

top topics

join