It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Quake is over, can we talk about Irene Now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

A one hit wonder.
I really liked that song. Ok let me have it.
Thanks for bringing it. I liked hearing it again.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
For those who don't usually track storms all that "weather talk" can get pretty confusing. They talk about high pressure systems and troughs and ridges and longitude and latitude this and that. I usually find that seeing what they are talking about helps. This map shows the water vapor over the eastern US. The hurricane can be seen in the lower left. In the uppermiddle area you can see another swirling storm. That is a low pressure system. It turns counter clockwise. In that position is will be turning its winds in a south westerly direction essentially pushing down on Irene. The U shaped loop over the land area is the big player here. That trough needs to move east fast enough that the hurricane will ride up its eastern edge taking it out to sea. If it does not, that little low and the big clearer area to the east of the US will make this a very bad scene this weekend. High pressure air masses move in a clock wise direction so the clock wise force of this high with the counter clockwise force of the low will become the major steering players for this storm.

www.goes.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by karen61057

What do people do after a hurricane?
Rebuild and go back to business as usual.
That is the southern way.
That is why we have hurricane parties before the shtf,because you know it's either going to be nothing,or a long road ahead.
If,it does in fact seem to be heading your way by Thursday,I would suggest having a big grilling party with all the meat in the freezer,cause when the power is out for weeks,it will spoil.

Make sure the cars are gassed up now,and stock up on some non-perishables and water and batteries.
cause they will go out of stock very soon..

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Don't worry about so much yet,you have plenty of time.Don't stay glued to the weather channel,it will only make you crazy.They only update about every 4 hours.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yeah. Life after. Its cool for a few days camping out in the house. Cooking everything even coffee on the grill. But by day three I am missing my blow dryer and I still hit the light switch every time I go into the bathroom. We spent hours driving around looking for ice after Isabel.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by kdog1982

Yeah. Life after. Its cool for a few days camping out in the house. Cooking everything even coffee on the grill. But by day three I am missing my blow dryer and I still hit the light switch every time I go into the bathroom. We spent hours driving around looking for ice after Isabel.

Find a place that sells dry ice.It lasts longer.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Don't worry about so much yet,you have plenty of time.Don't stay glued to the weather channel,it will only make you crazy.They only update about every 4 hours.

I will only make myself crazy with details. I am not the panicky type. I prepare. I study these storms. Its a hobby of sorts. I know I am not the only one because there are such things as hurricane parties. I just dont like the way this is shaping up. It's because I know about weather patterns and I've researched hurricanes for many years that this one is getting my attention. The one and only major player seems to be stalling and even pulling its little bottom northward slightly.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Apparently you aren't the only one wanting to talk about Irene.

edit on 23-8-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

he must have been having some trouble trying to explain the need for packing due to the hurricane situation to his 13 year old daughter.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Hi Karen -- I empathize with your angst. I just spent the past 48hrs. stressing over Irene's approach to SFL. I posted Irene's progress on the "Northern Hurricanes" tread and was glued to mt faorite weather sites.

If it's any consolation (which it probably won't be right now) the models are trending to the east.

MY best advice is to beat the crowds and plan ahead with food, water and batteries. You can always use the stuff in the future. It will also help keep the anxiety in check. Have all your important papers together in a waterproof pack and have pictures/video of valuables for insurance purposes. There are also many websites that have lists for hurricand prep.

Here are some of my favorite sites for keeping track of the storm:
Stormpulse
check the curent forecast models by clicking on that option
StormCaribe
enter your latitude and longitude and calculate the storms closest approach and time of arrival
Storm2k
go to active storm forum for discussion threads with knowledgeable amateurs and a few pro meteorologists.

Breathe deeply "this too shall pass".

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The Quake is over, can we talk about Irene Now?,

I believe YOU can talk about whatever YOU want.
And WE can talk about whatever WE want.
Make sense?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
I was hoping that this would get the interest of some of the members who might be in its path.
I lived here when Floyd came through in 96 I think it was.

Remember that? Thankfully, it stayed out to sea. Floyd would have been a major disaster had it hit land. Category 5, bigger than Texas. I can't imagine the damage. I'm pretty sure my little house here in Daytona would be gone, along with a good chunk of the state.

I think Irene won't be a major issue in the States. Mostly flooding from the rain, and storm-surge at the coast.
Still, any hurricane is nothing to take lightly. Y'all stay safe.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They are saying in the DR, Irene is causing most of the damage by way of record rainfall, and not so much by wind. I would think sump pumps and backflow preventers will be in short supply on the East coast soon.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by jondave
They are saying in the DR, Irene is causing most of the damage by way of record rainfall, and not so much by wind. I would think sump pumps and backflow preventers will be in short supply on the East coast soon.

A battery backed up system would be the best option,especially when the power goes out.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jondave

Possibly chainsaws too.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Thanks for the links.
We are old pros when it comes to hurricanes. I have the essentials all ready and will start making gallon bottles of ice to put in the coolers.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

The Quake is over, can we talk about Irene Now?,

I believe YOU can talk about whatever YOU want.
And WE can talk about whatever WE want.
Make sense?

Well yes, It is obvious that free will is in play here No?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

I hate to tell you this but Floyd made a hit on NC and Virginia it did not stay out to sea. We were drowned with that storm. Not much in the way of wind but the rain was unbelievable. At one point it was like someone was throwing buckets of water at my windshield while I was trying to drive in it. It lasted two days. We got 19 inches of rain and it took two days for me to pump the water out of my basement which had become an indoor pool.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jondave

We have a pump installed in our basement. The house is 100 years old and never should have had a basement in this area. There are only three houses in my neighborhood that have underground basements. All of them flood occasionally.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Does anyone know if this will affect Prince Georges Maryland? if so how much? They don't say much on TWC about our area in regards to storms that or I am not paying attention.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ISis12RA12ELohim

If you're served by Pepco, prepare to lose power. We lose power if a butterfly farts these days.
I'm in Montgomery. I still have folks in P.G. Stay safe, buy groceries now just in case.

I'm really worried most about power outages these days because I have fish tanks. I have one cute fish that is actually quite intelligent and has personality. I'd be devastated to lose this fish. The last time I lost power the filtration went stagnant. My fish survived but I worked hard to save them and the stress weakened them. I lost them to disease over the following year. The fish I have now was purchased since that sad time.

When Isabel hit my hubby and I were without power for almost two weeks but our in laws several blocks away kept theirs, as did my folks in P.G.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join