It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inflation and what is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Here is an easy way to understand inflation and why some people see safety and security in presious metals.

How bad is inflation even according to the governments CPI calculator…. have some fun…

1.follow the link; www.bls.gov...

2. Put $1 in the top box and reset it to 2011

3. Put your birth year or another number into the lower box and
PRESTO; see how little the dollar is worth today versus when you were born

it is easy to explain why to buy gold and silver ...... hold a dollar bill ... it will never be valued for more than a "dollar" and it can only loose buying power as inflation eats up the value

Then hold a silver Eagle …… this monetary unit will increase as inflation eats away the “dollars” value the value of your gold and silver will increase with inflation and it is used as a hedge against inflation …..

In my opinion, the FED doesn’t view inflation as a problem because they do not see the dollars value tied to commodities like gold for example. They see the dollar as a unit priced by the exchange value of the dollar against other currencies in world market. That is why they don’t think that inflation will be a major issue …… The world ponzi continues and it is propped up from inside with other “national ponzi currency”
This a self-fulfilling ponzi funded by other ponzi to the infinity …..

edit on 23-8-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: fix link

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Gold is another bubble. It's going to burst. Gold goes from $400 to $1900 an ounce in 5 years, who do you think is buying it? If SHTF, people aren't trading gold for food. It works with currency and exchange. Don't put everything you have in gold. It's a hedge.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mathematic

Gold is not in a bubble. It will see a correction from time to time. It will go continue to go up vs. the dollar because the dollar is frankly doomed.
Think of it this way. When the economy is rolling along, and growing, Gold is not a good investment. You can invest in businesses, or borrow money and invest in your own business, and get great returns in a great economy. But, when you have a currency that is sinking like the dollar? History teaches only one thing, precious metals, namely gold and silver are the way to go to MAINTAIN whatever wealth you have.
Make no mistake, it is gold and silver today. It aint over yet. You may not be able to get it soon, and that is when the price goes PARABOLIC.
Then, you have a bubble.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SirClem

I disagree. While you see commodities rising in price, why would you buy it now? You're jumping on a ship that left port. This isn't where you want you're retirement money.

Sure, short term this may work. You are working against a bubble. Gold is a commodity. It doesn't produce dividends. You can't live off a gold stash. ATS is fun guys, but maintain a grip on reality. You're not putting an IRA into gold and living off of it. It is a hedge. I REPEAT, A HEDGE. An hedge is an inversely related material to the market.

SHTF. You have bread, milk, water, and a pile of gold. Yet the world moves on. Maintain a grip on reality.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

A dollar is always worth a dollar ... and once the dollar was pegged to gold and silver.... yet a dollar will always buy you less value over time while the price of silver and gold retained it's buying power .....

And the dollar is just a giant ponzi and when the money printing stops the dollar will drop like a rock ......

PS, I have my water and food and I know how to make bread even without electric if I need it .....
edit on 23-8-2011 by fnpmitchreturns because: spelling/comment addition

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

Good luck in your bunker. When the rest of the world living on ground level continues to trade, atleast you'll be able to survive.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

right ... my bunker ...... LMAO at you .... I guess inflation is not real either ....... but what the hell ... when the dollar crashes and it will just as all ponzis fail in the end. I hope your dollar will make good toilet paper if your butt is small enough.... I didn't advise anyone to buy gold or silver. I just stated what many people think and see. And clearly you like the FED does not see any corelation between inflation and the devaluing of the dollar which makes commidity prices rise.....

top topics

join