It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rail Car Fire Prompts Lincoln Evacuations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is currently happening in my area. Posting news to keep other informed.
Hopefully everything will be alright soon!

LINCOLN, Calif. -- A one-mile radius was evacuated in Lincoln for a rail car fire at Ninth and I streets, Cal Fire officials said Tuesday afternoon.

rom the vantage point at 6th and J streets, KCRA 3's Tom DuHain reports that fire crews are continously spraying water on the tanker to keep the gases inside for exploding. Meanwhile a relief valve on the top of the tanker is venting gas and fumes. "It looks like a small rocket engine burning,"said DuHain. A potential explosion of the tanker car loaded with LPG is an extremly dangerous situation. It would send a shock wave and fireball rolling at ground level for blocks. In addition it would send large pieces of metal hurling through the air up to a half mile away, just like a bomb. The blaze could burn through the evening or even until Wednesday morning, crews said, adding that the plan as of around 1:30 p.m. was to let the fire continue until the fuel is burned out.

Article source
Additional Source
edit on 23-8-2011 by ManOfGod267 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

The City of Lincoln is expected to issue a press release shortly. They have already announced that they have cancelled tonight's city council meeting.

More on this when this come on the news online.

Fox40 news source

If there is anyone else in my area or is driving with the traffic backed up please comment and tell us what you're witnessing.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Here are some videos and pictures I have gotten to help paint a clearer picture.
Video of fire fighters spraying water on the tanker
Picture source

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ManOfGod267

Apparently a Propane Railcar fire can burn yellow with black smoke.

Here are some more pics of Propane fire This pic is a prop that uses propane burners.

edit on 23-8-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hopefully so. I'm not an expert. Just another user sharing the information. I know there are some other users in my area. Maybe we'll get some more information shortly.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Here is a live video. Maybe you can see it more clearer? What do you think of the live video feed?
Live video feed

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

I was about to say the same thing about the blueish flame.

If it was LPG you would hardly be able to see it in the day time, its an almost transparent flame.

Still probably not an amazingly great thing to be burning in your back yard.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

I know! There has to be more then one hose dosing the flames. Can you imagine having to continually spray water on the flame? That must be difficult and annoying to concentrate on.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Actually now that I look at it a little better its not putting off the intense smoke that diesel or crude would be putting off.

Could end up being fairly bad.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jssaylor2007

What do you mean? Just curious.
Second line needed.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

A firefighter on the scene said a tanker car holds 30,000 gallons of propane and burns 200 to 300 gallons per minute.

30,000 gallons burning 200 gallons per minute means 150 minutes of burn time. It becomes more dangerous as it gets more empty, because of the vapor in the tank. The liquid is more stable than the vapor.

Looks like about 3 tense hours for the firefighters and residents!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Diesel and crude oil have more waste that is burned, and it gives off a VERY thick black smoke.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Less fuel means smaller boom if it happened to come to that though.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

FOX 40 has reported this news

CAL Fire says that they plan to let the rest of the propane burn off.

Looks like they will have to wait a while to see what happens at the scene.
Source

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

The tanker that is on fire is linked to three others, but only one is on fire.

This is probably the reason for the evacuation, 3 tanks is a lot of potential BOOM!

Another source said workers were on the tank when it caught fire, perhaps it already had a leak?

Also, the sources keep saying "Tuesday morning," but they also say it is "currently on fire?"

new topics

top topics

join