It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No NATO troops on the ground in post-Gaddafi Libya: spokeswoman

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

No NATO troops on the ground in post-Gaddafi Libya: spokeswoman

news.xinhuanet.com

BRUSSELS, Aug. 23 (Xinhua) -- NATO would not put boots on the ground and would only play a "supportive" role upon request in the post-Gaddafi Libya, the military alliance's spokeswoman Oana Lungescu said on Tuesday.

"The leading role in the post-Gaddafi period in supporting the Libyan people rests with the United Nations and the Contact Group. NATO will be in a supporting role... NATO will have no troops on the ground," Oana told a press briefing at NATO headquarters.

NATO ambassadors are......
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
War On Terrorism
World War 3

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
So they handed over to the control of the rebels right? Hopefully though if thy did it won't be like Iraq in 2003 where we disable the Iraqi Republican Guard as well as the Baath Party.

I think NATO troops are useful but NATO hands are too tied everywhere such as the peacekeepers in Kosovo and in Korea.

news.xinhuanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
i heard on the news that the SAS were on the ground trying to find gaddafi

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyb578

where?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
But ... if NATO won't have boots on the ground, won't their socks get dirty?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I'm really happy that they have come out with this.

Now Libya is on the brink of disposing of Ole Mad Dog, then we need to let the Libyans form their own Government, obviously with diplomatic support of all countries.

They will then need to set up a tendering process for companies to bid for Oil exploration in the area, which should rightly be open to all companies, even those outside NATO.

Best of luck to the new Libya!!

I only hope we are not forced to go back there in a couple of years time due to the squabbling of the different factions involved in the rebellion.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Did you hear this on the news, or ATS?

Probably ATS!!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Did you hear this on the news, or ATS?

Probably ATS!!
I read it today in either The Sun or I(independent cut down version).The Sun was also spreading the bull saying that getting rid of Gaddafi meant petrol would be 4 pence a litre cheaper-yeah right,when do they ever pass this on to the consumer?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

If anyone believes that article then I have a bridge to sell to you on the cheap!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Okay, my bad!!

Stopped reading the papers over the last few years, so hadn't heard this. However I did figure we had SAS on the ground by the speed of the turn if fortunes of the rebels.

4p a litre cheaper hey? Well Mr Osbourne will soon put pay to that, by no doubt adding more tax to the cost of a litre. But you are probably right, oil has taken a dive over the last few weeks, but not much difference in the cost at the pumps.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Oh sure shes credible just like the White house and NATO itself a spokeperson also said there wont be any NATO troops on the ground in post- war kosovo.
edit on 23-8-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Hmmm i cannot know why they say for some reason but sometimes i think you do got to deploy NATO peacekeepers into Libya in order to restore chaos.

But in Kosovo, the reason why they didn't say deploy troops during the NATO bombing of Serbia because they say air-power was useful.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Same thing in libya.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

NATO was on the ground in Libya since the first few days after the Egyptian Revolution first started and used the Egyptian border to smuggle in arms to Libya.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

NO what i meant is that NATO invasion ground troops and peacekeepers, not like Special forces that was to help the rebels monitor where they are.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I know I am going to regret this....

Care to furnish proof for this claim? Because in 1999 when NATO got involved in Kosovo, we had plety of troops preparing to go in after the Air campaign had done it's job. The UK 5th Airborne Brigade was one of the first in, with Para's etc leading the charge.

I do not remember, whatsoever, anyone saying troops were not going to be involved. It was all part of the plan from the get go and even the Russians were involved in the ground deployment, which led to some confusion and tension at the Airport when they faced off against the Para's.

Or is this another one of your claims that is never borne out of any truth or fact, but merely conjured up in your mind?

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
so are we to let the MSM reporters die or be used as human shields? The reb's have no "how to" for this SAS SF and SEALS do, or will they the reb's ask for the FBI HRT? that would be under the "no boots on the ground" per say.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Huh?

That made no sense whatsoever.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Not to mention that NATO in Kosovo even failed to destroy most of the Yugslav/Serbian military targets. I was watching this youtube docmentary about the NATO bombing of Serbia. What the Serbs/Yugslav done is that they used many decoys and used the laser guided to make the NATO pilots think it's the target. Even at night, the manage to liquid in the sunet and after dark, it cause NATO missile from the Serb military target. Shows that air-power alone doesn't win the battle. Some people say it because it pressures the Serbian troops to surrender.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 24-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

you do know that there are at least 30 news reporters beheld at a hotel held by Gaddafi troops, the rebel forces do not have hostage rescue experience only the British SAS, US Special Forces SF, you do know the SEALS USN? you have heard of the FBI Hostage Rescue Team HRT? does that make sense?

edit on 24-8-2011 by bekod because: editting

top topics

<<   2 >>

join