It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre USGS Omission of Phase Data and Historic Seimicity on DC 5.8 Quake Suspicious

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
TA...do you have GEE pulled up right now?

I SWEAR these quakes are mirroring each other in Colorado and Virginia. There's a couple right now again.

What the heck?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Easy there hun. Remember to confirm with multiple stations for quakes. That's too small in both cases and in neither do I have confirmation on other stations- meaning they could be local man made events.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Right.

Sometimes coincidences really ARE all that's going on. I supose time may tell with this one..we'll see!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Well since Puterman is abandoning us for the evening, looks like it's you and me. Betcha a star we get one more good aftershock before 6 AM EST.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I hate you guys!

I need to sleep.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
I hate you guys!

I need to sleep.

*turns other cheek*

Yes, get some sleep and hopefully you'll lub us again in the...morning?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

LOL...yup. Those people that need sleep are just lame.

I'll go one further than ya....I don't think they are aftershocks.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Yes, get some sleep and hopefully you'll lub us again in the...morning?

Redeem yourself, before I retire!

Postulate why they would suppress those two items of data?

Originally posted by westcoast
I'll go one further than ya....I don't think they are aftershocks.

AAAAGH!!! Ok, why?

I'm never falling asleep tonight now.

edit on 23-8-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Postulate why they would suppress those two items of data?

Well I've been trying, but not coming up with much. Except this:

The phase data lists the stations the seismic waves were received at, in order, from the closest station to furthest used in the magnitude calculation. Now I don't know why, but what if for some reason they are not wanting to show us the stations used, because some of those stations are covert, and don't want anyone to know they are in operation?

Hmm... Considering where this happened, in VA, which is a known hotbed of CIA and other nefarious government operations, maybe it has something to do with that?

Again, I reiterate:

WHY is the USGS using CERI as the main source for info on this quake when US.CBN, the station closest to the quake, IS IN THEIR OWN NETWORK?

I have no clue. It may be time to pull a few strings...and find out.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Would the proximity of the stations reveal nuances of the event otherwise not discernible from more remote stations?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well I could hardly see getting much closer to epicenter than we already are at about 45 miles away with station US.CBN.

In other words, we already have a very distinct, close trace of this quake, as shown in the OP. And I have seen nuclear signatures before, and I can promise it looked nothing like that. So I don't think it's anything with the event per se, I think it may have more to do with the sensitivity of area there.

BUT I could be T-Totally wrong.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Moreover, could an underground nuclear explosion even produce a 5.8 event?

I couldn't find any example that high.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Do you agree with westcoast's assessment this could be a foreshock? If so, why?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Well, funny you should mention that. Because from what I had read until recently, I was under the impression that most nuclear explosions generated around 3 to 4.5 magnitude. But then someone posted something about them being able to go into 6 range, so not sure. And then we also have the problem of the different types of magnitudes (ML, Mw, Mb, etc.) And each of those means something slightly different- causing a variation of magnitude characterization of up to 1.5 or so.

From my understanding. But PuterMan would be the best to answer that question, as he has a real grip on that. Or muzzy-
edit on Tue Aug 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

reply to post by loam

I would agree it COULD be a foreshock, but in this case, given the typical aftershocks occurring, it is probably not, and the 5.8 was the mainshock.

On the other hand, that is what happened in Japan with the initial 7.2, a few aftershocks and silence for a couple days. Then WHAM. 9.1

But that's an entirely different geologic makeup on a subduction zone, so the comparison is probably not a good one. Still illustrates the point though that with Mother earth you just never know.

Probability of it being a foreshock imo: very low.
Probability of Main Shock: very high.
edit on Tue Aug 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

So lets think outside the box: Why wouldn't they want us to see that info? With the HUGE signal involved and the widespread reports of feeling it over 200 miles away and damage, I don't think I am being too extreme when I say that something is wierd about the quake itself.

Add that assesment together with the missing data...and it seems to me, that for whatever reasons, TBTB do not want the general public to know the details in how this quake behaved. WHY? Well, it must have behaved different than a typical quake.....which would correlate with the reports. Again: WHY?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

But what data would specifically be expected to be different, just based upon the proximity of the station?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Imo, the only thing different really about this quake was the fact that it happened on the east coast and therefore propagated like a mad dog. The solid bedrock on this side of the country makes for a great conduit. I was in the middle of a nap, and I am in western NC, and it flat out woke me up. But because I have experience in quakes, and knew what a bigger one feels like, I promptly dozed right back off thinking "It was probably that little fault around here, small quake...." *zonk out* So I actually missed the onset of the P waves, and probably the beginning of the S-waves as well.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
I am hearing reports the hurricane is supposed to hit Virginia, I have to say if it in fact makes landfall in Virginia I would not think it to be coincidence and believe some people may be onto something. It just would be truly too much if the hurricane hits Virginia!!! Then I am going to start buying into this HAARP conspiracy.

I would be thinking foreign for a source if in fact there is any kind of conspiracy here. I live in Hampton Virginia. Right there at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. They do not usually make direct hits on this area. North Carolina sits her pretty little bum out there into the Atlantic and takes all the punches for us. Only a few storms have ever made a direct hit on Hampton Roads. One altered the shore line. There is an area of Norfolk called Whilloughby Spit that did not exist before 1933. It now houses residents and businesses. Brought to us by an un-named storm that took an almost direct hit on the area. Any way back to the foreign source. Here is a list of the military bases located within a 120 mile or so radius

. www.military.com...

The Chesapeake Bay is the gateway to Washington DC. Would HAARP target our military this way?

edit on 23-8-2011 by karen61057 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hey, is anybody gonna explain what phase data is... please? (I think I'm the 3rd person to ask.)

Also, what is the significance of that graph someone posted (the one they said they got from puterman.)

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I generally just follow along on these threads and don't post in them much anymore but I had to mention that was the first thing I noticed when I heard about these quakes. First the CO one, I went and looked the USGS site and the Historical Seismicity for the area wasn't amongst the maps. Then this afternoon when I got home from work, I went to the USGS site again and looked at the info for the 5.8 and again, no Historical Seismicity. I found that really strange. I don't ever recall looking at a quake map set on there and there not being a history of the area as part of the options and I generally check the USGS site at least once a day. Even for huge quakes like the Japan or Indonesian ones, the maps have been there right from the start of the event.

The maps for the CO quake are there now, they popped back on about two hours ago, I've been checking that all day. The ones for the east coast quake haven't appeared yet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join