It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre USGS Omission of Phase Data and Historic Seimicity on DC 5.8 Quake Suspicious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Isn't it kind of strange the USGS is not listing any phase data for the 5.8 in Virginia?

Cause this is where it would normally be:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

And they are also not providing a historic seismicity map either, which would usually be here:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

For those that don't know, they usually provide this data for most quakes worldwide.

CERI has the quality listed as poor, and that may be a factor, but something's going on here. What are they trying to cover up or hide?

Phase data usually lists the stations involved, as well as other info.

The quake itself measured a whopping 17.37 mm/s at station US.CBN, and here is the trace:

That's higher than any other quake I have ever seen. And it's mostly due to the close proximity of the station to epicenter. I felt the quake all the way in western NC, making that the third quake I've been in.

Maybe the Russians and/or Chinese have copied the HAARP array and just sent a strong message to D.C.

NOT.
edit on Tue Aug 23rd 2011 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I don't know but we are suddenly also getting massive thunderstorms rolling through the Tampa Bay area with 50 mph winds likely !
I am wondering if the two are connected?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Hey man whats up i dont have huge knowledge on earthquakes so what are you exactly trying to get at? Are you saying the quake might have been larger then they are saying?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
And what's more, WHY is the USGS using CERI as the main source, for info on this quake when US.CBN, the station closest to the quake, IS IN THEIR OWN NETWORK?

:shk:

I am not buying it. WTF is going on?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
You know, I was went looking for the historical map right after it happened to find out what kind of seismisity they had there....and noticed it was missing.

yes...i think it odd.

Did you see THIS graph? (thanks to Puterman)

That thing is a beast. I know it was shallow...it know the seismo was close....but that had to have been bigger than a 5.9 and it was long.

Wierd stuff these days.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Like everyone else I'm following this story very closely.

However, a lot of the technical jargon you just used went right over my head. Phase data? 17.37 mm/s?

Could you translate in layman's terms what has you specifically concerned. Sorry, just not very good at this subject matter.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenOhhTwo

It appears s/he is merely questioning the reasoning, if any, as to why this information was left out.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Maybe the Russians and/or Chinese have copied the HAARP array and just sent a strong message to D.C.

Well, the Russians have had a station similar to HAARP for 30 years now.

But, my concern was that this earthquake's epicenter was 10 miles from a nuclear power plant! An amazing coincidence: historical eastern US earthquake that close to a nuke plant. Hmm...

Edit: Also, if they don't put the phase data up in a few days it might be a cover up, but immediately assuming something is up is a little bit rushed.
edit on 23-8-2011 by atheist101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The historical information isn't accessable for the Colorado quakes either

Keeps coming up with a server error so I don't know what to think

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by ldyserenity

Hurricane coming up the coast?

It's supposedly way far away from us, Bay News 9 says it's going to HIT VIRGINIA!!!!

Here is a pic of where it is at:
hurricane Irene
edit on 23-8-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

same here in Toronto we werent expecting a mass rain fall on Sunday it last very short i found to be way to strange for me because normaly rains sometimes here last till the night but this one ended really quick and i saw small rainbow breaking through the clouds.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I am hearing reports the hurricane is supposed to hit Virginia, I have to say if it in fact makes landfall in Virginia I would not think it to be coincidence and believe some people may be onto something. It just would be truly too much if the hurricane hits Virginia!!! Then I am going to start buying into this HAARP conspiracy.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

If the hurricane reaches Cat 3 to 5 and hit VA dead on, would the amounts of water produced possibly lube another quake in the area?

I remember reading something along those line regarding the San Andreas.

Is that a valid theory?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Is the that not the info under the science and tech tab?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ

Is the that not the info under the science and tech tab?

Well that's where it would normally be found yes. But it's not there.

And the historical seimicity is usually under the Maps tab. Not there either.

I have no clue why it is not, either. Very odd.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
TA,I posted this in the quake thread,but I thought I would post it here too.
It's a couple of pdf files from the USGS and one is a map and the other is a lengthy report.
Happy reading!

pubs.usgs.gov...

Map of Virginia and seismic activity since 1774.

Data for Quaternary faults, liquefaction features, and possible tectonic features in the Central and Eastern United States, east of the Rocky Mountain front

Table 2. Summary of Quaternary faults, liquefaction features, and deformation in the Central and Eastern United States. [ID Number refers to the number assigned to the structure in the fault compilation and the digital database. "Time of MRE" is time of most recent paleoevent; see the definition of terms in this report for explanation of the time of most recent event and the slip-rate category. For liquefaction features, the slip-rate category is described as "unknown" because the faults that generated earthquakes at these sites have not been identified or characterized, and therefore it is impossible to determine a slip rate. General locations of features are shown in figure 1.] Structure Name (listed alphabetically) Location ID No. Time of MRE Slip-Rate Category Comments Bluffton liquefaction features South Carolina 2658 Latest Quaternary unknown Prehistoric liquefaction features southwest of the liquefaction from the 1886 Charleston, South Carolina, earthquake. Central Virginia seismic zone Virginia 2653 Latest Quaternary unknown Few small late Holocene sand dikes reported in area of modern seismicity. Charleston liquefaction features South Carolina 2657 Historical unknown 1886 earthquake caused impressive liquefaction; paleoseismic studies indicate multiple prehi

2653, Central Virginia seismic zone (Class A) Structure Number 2653 Structure Name Central Virginia seismic zone (Class A) Comments: The Central Virginia seismic zone was named by Bollinger (1973 #1797; 1973 #1798). It is a roughly circular area with a diameter of 120-150 km, with a low level of diffuse seismicity, three-quarters of which is in the upper 11 km of the crust (1985 #1801). Synopsis: The geologic evidence for Quaternary faulting in the Central Virginia seismic zone consists of one site with a few, small, latest Holocene sand dikes, and a second site several tens of kilometers away with a few, small, possible dikes of early Holocene or lesser age (Obermeier and McNulty, 1998 #1872). The causative faults remain unidentified. Date of compilation 05/21/98; revised 9/11/98 Compiler and affiliation Russell L. Wheeler, U.S. Geological Survey State Virginia County Amelia; Buckingham; Caroline; Chesterfield; Cumberland; Fluvanna; Goochland; Hanover; Henrico; Louisa; Orange; Powhatan; Richmond; Spotsylvania 1° x 2° sheet Richmond; Roanoke; Washington; Charlottesville Physiographic province Piedmont Reliability of location Poor Comments: The largest historical earthquake in the zone occurred in 1875 near the center of the zone (Oaks and Bollinger, 1986 #2216). Intensity was MMI VII and magnitude was mb 5.0 and M 4.8 (Bollinger and Hopper, 1971 #1799; Bollinger and Sibol, 1985 #1801; Johnston, 1994 #2042). No surface rupture or liquefaction is reported. Similarly, no prehistoric surface rupture is known in the seismic zone, and the only reported paleoliquefaction features are those few described below under "Paleoseismological studies". Hypocenters of microearthquakes plot within an upper crustal complex of thrust sheets (Çoruh and others, 1988 #1807), but the locational uncertainties of both the hypocenters and the individual thrust faults are typically a few kilometers. Therefore, hypocenters and faults cannot be convincingly associated with each other. The result is that the individual seismogenic faults in the Central Virginia seismic zone remain unidentified. Geologic setting The Central Virginia seismic zone is underlain by Precambrian and Paleozoic metamorphic and igneous rocks that were folded, juxtaposed, and superimposed by numerous nappes and thrust faults, mostly southeast-dipping, during the assembly of the Appalachians (for example Glover and others, 1983 #1827; Glover and others, 1989 #2034; Hatcher and others, 1989 #2036). Sense of movement Not reported Comments: Single-earthquake focal mechanisms from the seismic zone are variously oriented and show reverse and strike-slip faulting (Munsey and Bollinger, 1985 #1867; Davison, 1988 #2027). However, the associated hypocenters are scattered geographically, and no surface ruptures are known, so no systematic sense of movement is known

pubs.usgs.gov...

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Its right where it should be.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 8/23/11 by Cyprex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyprex

No sir.

Phase data looks like this, here's an example from the last shock in Japan:

neic.usgs.gov...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join