It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Ism's" (not Islam) are the biggest threat to humanity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
We must stop fighting over the petty differences that make each person special, and UNITE against the ones driving the tyrannical agenda. Denominational Religion, Partisan Politics, Racism, Sexism...bigotry... Every single "Ism" is nothing more than a manufactured excuse for one person to justify the killing of another. We are one world, made up of DIVERSITY, and it makes the total of humanity stronger than the sum of its parts.

Religious crusades, Jihads, and race riots happen because of misplaced rage. If you want to rage against something, (and if you will forgive the shameless plug) rage against "the machine."

Not against each other.

We, the people...our species...share a common destiny. We all will grow old, and then we will die. We leave this world to the future generations, and in turn they will pass this world on to their progeny.

The legacy we are leaving, is one of VIOLENCE toward anything misunderstood, not a legacy of freedom and peace.

What gives one man authority over another? One religion over another? One race over another? One government over another? It makes no difference if you are an Atheist, a Pantheist, or a Monotheist. It makes no difference if you believe in evolution or creationism. It makes no difference if you are a child of religion, or a child of science.

We are all children of the universe. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively.

Why does government constantly feel the need to impose morality and views on others, if not in the pursuit of more power and absolute authority? Why does government lure its people into fighting some other government's people who are not personally harming "we, the people" in the first place? What compels "we, the people" to fight for a corrupt few whose only god is money?

Governments do not care about us (we, the people) at all, excepting of course, how much profit we enable them to line their pockets with.

Put simply, the people DO NOT NEED government tyranny for the pursuit of life, liberty and happiness.

Government, however, NEEDS THE PEOPLE to remain ignorant and buy into the propaganda to further tyranny.

No one has the right to exert tyranny over another.

No one.

And it simply must stop.

Now.

(Mods, please feel free to move if this is not the appropriate category. I did not publish to "Rants" because I believe this is a very real, and timely current event that truly could facilitate positive change.)

edit on 23/8/2011 by Lono1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Islam (snake people) are the biggest threat to humanity.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
"Racism" (certain forms of it, at least) is actually quite natural. Regardless, I suppose you make a good point overall.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
What about:

Futurism
Cubism
Modernism
Suprematism
Constructivism
Deconstructivism

We have art so that we may not perish by the truth. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

edit on 23-8-2011 by Diyainoue because: Edit to put a quote

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Here's a cartoon from 1948 that may surprise you:

Eerie, eh?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Very well done, Lono1 . That is a thoughtful and well presented argument. It's refreshing to find someone that can do that.

And thanks for the video, Hessling. It was perfectly appropriate to the discussion.

My applause to both of you.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Interesting video. I recall reading about American history from the Great Depression to WW2, to the post war era. When you study early American history then you'll see why we're here now. A lot of stuff we have berried under the rug.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
You're aware, of course, that what you're spouting in the OP is in fact... wait for it...

humanism!

I understand the intent and general thrust of your post, but it's horribly misguided. You claim that there is beauty in diversity, but then in the same breath say that "believe in evolution or creation, it doesn't matter"...

You've essentially violated your own premise there.

If in fact creation and evolution are both valid viewpoints, then they do very much matter; the diversity in those opinions should be celebrated, not negated... beside which, they cannot both possibly be true... relativism is a fallacy. To say that Christians and Muslims believe the same thing is patently false; to say that creationism and evolution are both equally valid is also false, because they are essentially, inextricably contradictory. So while your "rant" (for want of a better word) is interesting, and while I understand the thrust of your argument, you've essentially written several paragraps of... fluff.

Even your comment that "we are all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively" isn't something that is agreed upon; in fact, the majority of religions and viewpoints would disagree vehemently with that viewpoint. So if you're going to try to find a common ground upon which to build; a platform upon which a peaceful coexistence can be constructured, you'll have to do better than that.

You could always reduce it down to the simplest common denominator: we're all human. If there is inherent dignity in that, an inherent worth and value, then surely that is reason enough to respect one another in all things? Even there though, you can run into issues; after all, if evolution and nihilism have taught us anything, it's that we're simply the product of random chance, that we don't matter at all, and that life is futile. Ah yes, it's all so very convoluted.

But even there, even if you did manage to have every human being agree that there was inherent value in 'mere humanity', and respect themselves and each other on that basis alone, you still wouldn't manage to remove "isms"... because respect upholds, rather than negates, the right to different viewpoints, and therein lies the problem. As a Christian, I respect your right to express yourself as you have. I express the rights of my friends to believe in my God or no God, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Krishna, a greater consciousness, or no consciousness at all. But that doesn't mean that I have to agree with them or their beliefs. In fact, I'll tell you flat out that I believe them to be wrong. But I'll certainly fight for their right to believe whatever it is they wish to believe, for precisely the reason that I believe that God gave us all the free will to choose Him... or not.

So it seems, either way, you're a little screwed.
Still, it was an interesting read.

edit on 24-8-2011 by Awen24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Friend:

Thank you for your OP. It is an old "Poli Sci" joke:

"Isms's do one thing. They create, fear, fanatics, and BLOODSHED".

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Not that they're mutually exclusive.

But Islam is a bigger threat a caliphate will form some time in the future.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

I had a teacher that once told us.. That most of the "Isms" are spawned out of fear..
Which I find often to be the case. There are counter examples of course, but many are spawn from fear, develop to hatred.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

I had a prof of philosophy explain the same thing, but he also made one thing clear, it is not the "ism" that is bad. it is the people that divide differences into little "ism's" who are the real danger. That is why I posted some of the ism's of Art, if you like it or not it is just a substream of Art when an Artist tries to loose the chains of his former path. (Mostly know as "we try something new")

I hope that you do understand that if we would all accept each other, let love rule, banish every little dangerous ism, the theory and concepts would be interpret objectively as a collectivism.

Taking away the ism's doesn't take away the frustration, anger, hate...... well all misused and misguided emotions.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Believe you misinterpreted. Creationism/evolution, Christian/Muslim - NONE are mutually exclusive. We were all written by the same hand, we all abstract our own realities, and we all experience our realities solely through our own belief systems which are formed by the decoding of electrical signals in individual brains.

Humanism is an approach in study, philosophy, or practice that focuses on human values and concerns.

That is (simply put) arrogance or stupidity --and either way that belief is the infancy of perceived superiority or authority over opposing viewpoints, concepts, existences or abstracted realities.

Glad to have your opinion, but I disagree.

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
It is not isms per se that are the problem it is the tendency for people to be trapped inside the mental world that they have created via the ism - and when reality or people don't conform to their mind model, is when the violence coercion denial and intimidation come into the picture. Which is why idealogues should never be granted power nor religious leaders - and is particularly why Islam is such a lethally dangerous 'ism'.

Pragmatism (conservatism) is an excellent philosophy for example - whilst liberal/leftism etc allways ends up with Gulags and mass murder.

Still now there is a Mulim/Marxist in the White House - what could possibly go wrong!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lono1
reply to post by Awen24

Believe you misinterpreted. Creationism/evolution, Christian/Muslim - NONE are mutually exclusive. We were all written by the same hand, we all abstract our own realities, and we all experience our realities solely through our own belief systems which are formed by the decoding of electrical signals in individual brains.

Humanism is an approach in study, philosophy, or practice that focuses on human values and concerns.

That is (simply put) arrogance or stupidity --and either way that belief is the infancy of perceived superiority or authority over opposing viewpoints, concepts, existences or abstracted realities.

Glad to have your opinion, but I disagree.

...and glad to have yours, but I disagree :p
Creationism and evolution are by definition mutually exclusive. Genesis 1, God creates creatures "in their kinds" and commands them to reproduce "after their own kind"... this is not evolution. The order of Genesis 1 contradicts evolution also (e.g light before the sun), and so on, and so forth.

Christianity and Islam - Christianity says Christ is God, Islam says Christ is not God - those are two fundamentally contradictory and mutually exclusive claims, both cannot be true even in purely semantic terms.

No matter how you choose to look at life, truth isn't relative. To claim that it is, is to violate your own assertion (because obviously, "truth is relative" is an absolute affirmation).

Those things said, I still agree wholeartedly with the fundamental premise that violence and discrimination on the basis of these things is utterly unnecessary, futile and worthless... BUT...

don't confuse the need to discriminate BETWEEN ideologies (which is essential, logical and rational) with the false and malicious tendency to discriminate AGAINST ideologies.

For example... I'm quite happy to discriminate between the truth ("I am holding a coffee in my hand") and a falsehood ("that's not a coffee, it's a banana"). One is logical, rational and observable, the other clearly untrue. But at the same time, I'm not going to kill the person who calls my coffee a banana. I love my coffee, but not THAT much!

posted on Aug, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Diyainoue

I do understand that..
But thank you for elaborating. Before that high school teacher had left us with that insight.. it was not a point of view I'd previously considered.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
"Not that I condone fascism, or any -ism for that matter. -Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself." --Ferris Bueller

/TOA

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Lono1

What are you talking about? And why do you feel your permission is required for a moderator to move this ridiculous post to the right category?

What event are you talking about? The "event" that occurred when you made this post?

When you mentioned "rage against the machine", how was that a "shameless plug"? Where you really "plugging" the band..., or was it not a plug at all.

The legacy we are leaving, is one of VIOLENCE toward anything misunderstood, not a legacy of freedom and peace.

How are 'we' leaving this legacy?

top topics

join