It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter to Tony Blair, and his response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Written by a 14 year old British lass. Great read, and actually a fairly good response to it by the office of the PM.

news.independent.co.uk...

To Prime Minister Tony Blair,

My name is Maxine Gentle and I am 14 years old. I am the sister of Fusilier Gordon Gentle who died in the war in Iraq on the 28th June 2004. I want my thoughts and feelings to be heard and known.

My feelings are that I think you are rubbish at your job. You don't care about the British public, armed forces or anyone in fact.

My big brother died at the age of 19, and what for? A war over oil and money, that's what I think the war is all about. There was no such thing as weapons of "mass destruction", if there were Saddam Hussein would have used them at the start of the war.

I think that you should withdraw all of our soldiers from Iraq. After all, it is not our war, it's America's. So why did we, the British, have to get involved? I think that you just don't want to get on the wrong side of George Bush.

My big brother meant the world to me. I looked up to him with pride because he made something of himself. He was well known, just like you, but everyone liked and loved him, not like you, because I have no respect for you, and nor do a lot of other people I know...

And his response

news.independent.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So - did he not bother reading the girl's letter or something?

You and Mr Gentle are in my thoughts and prayers,

Yours sincerely

Tony Blair.

What about the soldier's sister?

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A question for our friends in the UK. Has Blair attended any funerals for the fallen UK troops yet?

GWB has not, he does not even acknowldge anyone who died for this war. At least Blair did take responsiblity for this death and showed he did believe it was for the good of the UK and the world. I just wondered if he had taken anytime to visit grieving families or not.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Her letter goes on and gets pretty heart wrenching IMO (see Jakomo's link).

It is okay for you sitting there with all your money and power, ruining people's lives by the decisions YOU make. I don't care who knows how I feel about you. All you care about is things that benefit you. All you and your new "best Friend" George Bush care about is Iraq's oil.

My big brother died in the early hours of the morning, and yet, when you and George Bush went on live TV in the afternoon to hand the country back over, you both stood there that afternoon smiling and acting like one big happy family when you both knew well that a British soldier had died that morning.

Nothing you can do or say will change my mind, or the fact that I am hurting badly inside. I cry myself to sleep most of the time because Gordon has gone and is never coming back.

I can see how the swelling of American Nationalism does very little to appease the broken heart of a little British girl. Coalition of the Complicit.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
not any funerals as such.. special church services n stuff.. but thats about it...

we in the UK are long used to troops coming home dead from N ireland.. and they rarely get any state-visits at the funeral... just usual military honors stuff..

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If I were Bush for instance, one who claims to be a man of faith. I would read the names of the dead soldiers off every Sunday in Church. I am offering no opinion on the war or the decisions that were made. I just feel that he needs to know their names and pay respects to them for the sacrafice that they made.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's "America's War", Terrorism doesn't affect the entire western world? While I believe there were better targets such as Osama Bin Laden, it does affect the western world and for that we should receive help from European countries.
The war in Iraq was a mistake made by many morons that run our governments, and now we must make a change to vote them out. It was about oil because we went to Iraq before we captured or killed the real enemy Osama Bin Laden and Al Quada. This is not a democracy when leaders wage war against the citizen's will. I am disgusted at the leaders of a majority of western nations and most disgusted at our own leaders.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
What a lovely letter, I really feel for her. I regret that in all likelyhood Mr Blair never got to see the letter. But if I were one of her parents I would never say that to her.

BigD, terrorism does affect THE WHOLE WORLD, not just the western world, so I agree with you.

However the current "war against terrorism" is Americas war. I have often said to friends and family that the "terrorists" we are currentley fighting were not a threat to anyone other than America BEFORE we chose to send our troops to support the US.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
We have to remember that the Anti-US/Western sentiment amongst extremists within Islam has been simmering for a long time, it only truly came to the fore on September 11th, 2001.

Ever since then, America's 'gloves' have come off and they're doing what they believe is right and just, sadly this is to the detriment of the West. Being British [ Welsh :-) ] i supported the war from the beginning on Iraq, but then after what happened i slowly changed my mind and i know believe we shouldn't have gone in.

I know that Saddam's regime was horrible and that he deeply suppressed the Iraqi people and that now they are truly free. Will they ever appreciate the sacrifice of the allied soldiers? Can they ever forgive the fact that many civilians died during the fighting? That many are still dying from it on both sides.

I don't know what's in store for us in the future, but i don't think the idea of an 'Islamic Super State' is that unlikely now, i'm not saying at this moment but in10 years time with the way things are going who knows.

I only hope we get to come out of this mess in one piece.

top topics

join