It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Berkland: DC Quake. Good news. Bad news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Hey everyone. I just got off the phone with famed seismologist Jim Berkland. Berkland is the one who is known for his uncanny ability to predict major earthquakes, including the LA quake and even the Chilian one recently.

There's some good news and bad news associated with the DC quake. Good news is that this was probably the "big one" and could have been as a result from a recent huge solar flare. Yes, he believes solar activity has a huge impact on seismic activity.

Now, here's the bad news. The quake struck unusually shallow to the crush, and he's surprised there wasn't a crust fracture, and expects we'll be finding much more damage as the hours progress.

Now that being said, here's the bad news: He still expects a massive trembler "anytime now" in San Fran bay.

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
As soon as it hit my first thought was that the big one was soon to follow as the majority of the masses near my home were so focused on the initial. My thought is that we have 24 hours or within 24 hours to see the actual "Big One" hit somewhere. You say San Fran, I say lets not forget about the New Madrid Fault Line that has received so much attention over the last year.

I am thinking the next big one will hit somewhere in the mid-west, possibly Kentucky. Just in time for the Ironman next Sunday!

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I didn't know we were supposed to be expecting a "big one" here in the DC area. We had a small one last year and back then I felt we weren't through, despite the ridicule and scoffing I got from my husband at my notion. Quietly I'd been watching and wondering at the fact my dog has been acting wary and wanting to stick close to the house and away from wide certain wide open spaces. People immediately stopped talking about that little quake, almost as if we were being shamed into silence by the jaded California crew for noticing and paying any heed to such an itty bitty thing.

I still don't feel we're done, yet. But I never heard a peep of any official expectation after last year's smaller quake that we were expecting a big one. So how can this be "the" big one for us? Was there some news I missed?

posted on Aug, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
cali has a lot of stress right now...

i hope it just lets out a series of toots rather than full blown fart.

top topics

join