It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Shahab 3 armed with GPS.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
can i point out something.
even if the us wanted to turn it off they couldnt.
they physically could but they wouldnt because supertankers that carry the fuel for america, need to use the GPS.
also many civie ships wuld crash when it went down.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
they physically could but they wouldnt because supertankers that carry the fuel for america, need to use the GPS.

You don't need GPS to get out of the Gulf. The ships still carry a navigator in case the GPS breaks anyway. They also can selectivly jam the region . And turn off areas or scramble or encryp the system. The only other point, if Iran is lobbing ICBM's at other countries, Id place money that a few silkworms and sunburns are heading for the tankers anyway.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Maybe a lot of retards who fly or cruise by following landmarks like JFK Jr. would run into trouble without GPS, but ships and planes have sextants, radio triangulation, good 'ol compasses, and a lot of other means of navigation without GPS. Commercial and military would be fine without GPS except for high-precision strike weapons, but even those still have navigational ability without GPS. Putting all your ability to navigate in GPS would be a serious error because the system is not rock-solid and those little satellites are vulnerable.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu

Maybe a lot of retards who fly or cruise by following landmarks like JFK Jr. would run into trouble without GPS, but ships and planes have sextants, radio triangulation, good 'ol compasses, and a lot of other means of navigation without GPS. Commercial and military would be fine without GPS except for high-precision strike weapons, but even those still have navigational ability without GPS. Putting all your ability to navigate in GPS would be a serious error because the system is not rock-solid and those little satellites are vulnerable.

A. you cant really navigate a supertanker by compass. And in the middle of the ocean the only way to use a compass is landmarks and when there is none you need GPS. i mean a compass is nothing with out landmarks. believe me i'v asked similar questions. also who actuallly uses a sextants any more? i have never seen one on ethier tankers or warships hell most of the tankers have a tiny crew and rely on electronics to do alot of the work. alot of other means? there is another means and thats using stars all deck officers are trained in how to do that calc but its a massive calculation. also the radar thing would be ok but you could just launch it to home in on radio trassmisions.
GPS has made many jobs of the military and comercial buisness easier and if they went back to sextants and radio stuf then it will seriosly slow them down not to mention the radio giveing away thier position.
and it is not stupid to sai by landmarks they are the most precise way to know where your going.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

You don't need GPS to get out of the Gulf. The ships still carry a navigator in case the GPS breaks anyway. They also can selectivly jam the region . And turn off areas or scramble or encryp the system. The only other point, if Iran is lobbing ICBM's at other countries, Id place money that a few silkworms and sunburns are heading for the tankers anyway.

yes but a navigator needs landmarks and mabye a sextant to work.yes they can turn off certain areas so what happens to the tankers in that area? do they just get told to sit and wait ?
umm its a bit hard to hit a ship with an ICBM. i mean the ships moveing and can shift if needed.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

umm its a bit hard to hit a ship with an ICBM. i mean the ships moveing and can shift if needed.

I agree what I ment was that if they are lofting ICBM's they no doubt will be firing off silkworms to close the Straigts of Hormuz

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
i think its time to dish out some ignores

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

I agree what I ment was that if they are lofting ICBM's they no doubt will be firing off silkworms to close the Straigts of Hormuz

yeah ur probably right there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join